• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sitting here cleaning my mags,..

mpguy

Look what I found. I was curious for the M&p, if I should just get a stock replacement, or would there be a aftermarket that would be better. I have no idea how it got bent. I put 100 rounds on it, and I'm shocked there wasn't a ftf.

u7u9e8az.jpg

.45 or bust

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'd try calling S&W first. You might get lucky. It all depends on their mood at the time, but for a cheap part, your odds go up.

KBCraig

I don't see a problem. The right mag spring isn't straight; so what?

As long as it still puts the right about of pressure on the follower, it will feed properly. It resides inside the magazine, where the follower is guided up at the right angle.

The worst that might happen, after several thousand cycles, is that the spring might get a worn spot.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
See. This is why I don't clean my magazines. They work just fine when you don't know that the spring might be bent.

cwohardy

Look what I found. I was curious for the M&p, if I should just get a stock replacement, or would there be a aftermarket that would be better. I have no idea how it got bent. I put 100 rounds on it, and I'm shocked there wasn't a ftf.

Good thing you have never seen an Army issued magazine. I swear to God, some of the ones I had were leftovers from Nam they were so warped.

Although leftovers can be good. The USS Missouri put some SERIOUS rounds down range in Desert Storm.

mpguy

I don't see a problem. The right mag spring isn't straight; so what?

As long as it still puts the right about of pressure on the follower, it will feed properly. It resides inside the magazine, where the follower is guided up at the right angle.

The worst that might happen, after several thousand cycles, is that the spring might get a worn spot.

Well, the reason I open the magazine, was after the 100, I reloaded to go again, when the wife called me for help. I decided to remove the ammo, as I was going inside, when I noticed something didn't feel right. It was like, the ammo was just suspended in place.

I got to the last two rounds, and you could shake the magazine, and hear the ammo rattle. After getting the last two out, I noticed the follower had remained in place about four loads deep.

I did clean it, and loaded and cycled 20 rounds. Other than now that magazine being tighter getting the last round in compared to the others two, it's ran fine.

I was just thinking, I could pick up a spring for $10-20 dollars. I would just use that magazine with the spring it in now around the house for target shooting.

.45 or bust

MainelyGlock

Is it causing/has it caused any problems? If so, I'd give their customer service a call. I have a 5906 from 1993, and the mag disconnect safety recently stopped working while in single-action. Within an hour of my email, they sent me a prepaid label to have it shipped and fixed.

mpguy

I'm just going to have it replaced. I'll look on some prices. It's no big deal, and until it's replaced, it will serve as my practice magazine.

It's worked since cleaning the spring, inside of the magazine, and a very light coat of oil on my finger to apply it on the spring. It was just weird to see it that way.

.45 or bust

Firearms Iinstuctor

It's a spring. They bend. Bend it back.

That's what the factory will do, then use it as a replacement.

Don't think so they just toss them and pull another out of the parts bin. Too much trouble to go through for a 50 cent part.

Of all the factory armmorer courses I have went through that was standard procdure for small bad parts throw them away replace with new.

More then likely they would toss the whole mag and just send you a new one.