• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As gun control activists gather, senator takes weapons ban off table

Danger07

As gun-control advocates filled the Capitol rotunda on Monday, a senator holding gun hearings this week said he will not take up weapons and ammunition bans that the activists favor.
"The outright banning of guns is a conversation that is more suited on the federal level," said Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, in a statement.
The Committee is holding hearings on gun-violence issues on Thursday and Friday, following hearings two weeks ago in the House. Latz said his hearings will focus on universal background checks that would close gaps in the current background-checks system.
He said his committee will not hear proposals for a ban on assault weapons or on higher-capacity ammunition magazines. The House took up those issues as well as background checks. Supporters of gun-owners rights overflowed the House committee rooms and were particularly upset at the weapons and magazine bans.
"The assault weapons ban and high-capacity magazine ban proposals are highly divisive," Latz said in an interview.
But he said there is a broad public and law-enforcement consensus behind universal background checks.
"I want to focus on what has broad public support," he said. He said he believes a background-check bill can be passed.
Meanwhile, gun-control advocates who were greatly outnumbered at hearings on gun bills two weeks ago filled the Capitol rotunda Monday in advance of the Judiciary Committee's hearings.
"Enough is enough," said speaker after speaker, a group that included family members of murder victims as well as legislators and religious leaders.
"We are at a moment in Minnesota history," said Heather Martens, head of Protect Minnesota. "We have real hope to do something about gun violence."
Rep. Michael Paymar, DFL-St. Paul, who chaired three days of House hearings into gun bills, urged the group to contact legislators and make their views known. He assured the group that a proposal for universal background checks -- closing loopholes in current laws -- will be part of a gun-violence measure he is putting together.
Mary Johnson, whose son was shot and killed in north Minneapolis in 1993, and who has formed a group of victims' mothers to advocate against violence, told the group, "I don't want to see anybody go through what I've gone through." Samuel Rahamim, whose father died in the Accent Signage shootings last September, also spoke, as he has at ever hearing on the issue.
In addition to Paymar's background-checks bill, gun-control advocates have supported a ban on certain semi-automatic rifles known as "assault rifles" and on higher-capacity ammunition magazines. Sen. Jeff Hayden, DFL-Minneapolis, Deputy Majority Leader of the Senate, expressed his support to the group.
"I am behind you 100 percent -- enough is enough," he said

robdoar

DOn't trust Latz as far as you can throw him or his Harvard diplome.

He didn't take anything "off the table"

There has been no companion bill introduced in the senate for the AWB or magazine limits.

To say he took it off the table would imply he's not going to give a bill attention. There isn't even a bill sponsored yet.

It's far from over. Until the house bill is dead, it still can come back.

There's still plenty to worry about. Registration, gov interaction in private sales, and needing to "prove you're sane" to carry or purchase.

Last edited:

B. Reddy

As gun-control advocates filled the Capitol rotunda on Monday, a senator holding gun hearings this week said he will not take up weapons and ammunition bans that the activists favor.
"The outright banning of guns is a conversation that is more suited on the federal level," said Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, in a statement.
The Committee is holding hearings on gun-violence issues on Thursday and Friday, following............

Danger- was this from the STRIB? Please see forum rule 11.

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

MKEgal

+1 on the copyright.
Post a link to the story (crediting the work to the source) & a short excerpt so people can see the topic & decide whether or not to click through & read the whole thing.
(And BTW, welcome to the forum. Most of us are generally patient with newbies.)

robdoar said:
Until the house bill is dead, it still can come back.
:lol: The ZA isn't people, it's laws!

Last edited:

Danger07

sorry about that.

Danger- was this from the STRIB? Please see forum rule 11.

(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Ill pay better attention to that, thanks. actually copied it from a third party email I had recieved, without having the link, Ill for sure watch that in the future.

And I agree cant trust what he said just thought it was an interesting story.