• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How is this legal? Anyone attending?

J-SiN

Few of us are going to this 2nd amendment support rally
Organizers say open carry friendly , curious how that's possible
When no firearms are allowed to any picket line or demonstration

Maybe they have permission from property owners? Will that make it acceptable?

http://www.dayofresistance.com/rally/

papa bear

this is an arguement i have been making to the TEA party meetings here in my area. if you keep holding them in GFZ (killing zones) then i can't come

you may be right that, with the owners permission then you could carry there. i o wonder what will happen, say in anti con. Charlotte or anti Ashvile

WalkingWolf

Each state law is different. I don't see this as picketing and it is up for opinion that these are demonstrations, and not just rallies, like a car rally. Maybe they should call them picnics. They are assemblies, but there is no admission.

I am digging for the statute but I believe the property must be owned or under control of the state of North Carolina to restrict the carry of firearms. I am not sure municipal property would count.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
now i am confused
whose propogating the website and better yet...who's website is it?

wabbit

There have been and are planned rallys (some very recently announced) where little to nothing is known about the organizers, little to no apparent planning/coordination, just a BIG announcement. Some posters have suggested that antis could be involved - inures to their benefit if the rally fails or attracts small numbers.

J-SiN

Me + 6-7 will be attending

the organizer responded to me and said we have explicit permission from property owner and that gaston co sheriff also says its OK to carry
openly or concealed

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ncwabbit

..who's website is it?
Sent u PM on subject ...
--snip--
the organizer responded to me and said we have explicit permission from property owner and that gaston co sheriff also says its OK to carry
openly or concealed

So why the hush-hush?

chiefjason

Statute in full

14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.
(b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑284.1, or 14‑288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place. (1981, c. 684, s. 1; 1983, c. 633; 1993, c. 412, s. 2; c. 539, s. 174; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1997‑238, s. 4.)

Now, let's parse (a)

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any .....
1- parade,
2- funeral procession,
3- picket line, or
4- demonstration upon any private health care facility or
5- upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions

to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.

I believe #5 will rule out OC at the Burke county event. Not completely sure though. But simply protesting does not rule out carry. Remember the rally at Guilford Courthouse a few years back?

RayBurton72

Now, let's parse (a)

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any .....
1- parade,
2- funeral procession,
3- picket line, or
4- demonstration upon any private health care facility or
5- upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions

to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.

I believe #5 will rule out OC at the Burke county event. Not completely sure though. But simply protesting does not rule out carry. Remember the rally at Guilford Courthouse a few years back?

Respectfully, I parse it this way:
1- parade,
2- funeral procession,
3- picket line, or
4- demonstration upon:
a) any private health care facility or
b)-upon any public place owned or under the control of
i) the State or
ii) any of its political subdivisions

to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon.

Otherwise, the statute would say that no one could carry on a city our county property, open or concealed, and we know that it IS legal to carry on city, and county property unless posted..

Now, depending on where the Burke County event it, this may or may not be relevant...

Also, the demonstration at Guilford Courthouse was held inside the NATIONAL park - it was federal land, so the demonstration provision of state law did not apply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

chiefjason

Breaking out the letters and Roman numerals on me I see. lol Next time I'm going with a pie chart.

So let's see if we have all the bases covered with this statute. Jim Crowe, check and in attendance. Unions, check. Odd with NC being right to work. Anti abortion activists, check. The Klan, check. Who are we missing?

WalkingWolf

Breaking out the letters and Roman numerals on me I see. lol Next time I'm going with a pie chart.

So let's see if we have all the bases covered with this statute. Jim Crowe, check and in attendance. Unions, check. Odd with NC being right to work. Anti abortion activists, check. The Klan, check. Who are we missing?

The problem comes from the Lobbyists who actually write the laws for the legislators. They claim to be pro 2A but in the long run they bring their own bias against certain groups, such as bikers, or open carriers. The sad part is some of us have actually given these tards money.

If nobody tells our representatives that we don't want this malarkey then they assume that the tards are speaking for us. A anti open carry bill is probably passing this time, written by one of these lobbyists. And he has many convinced he is doing us a favor.

ncwabbit

interesting to note nobody seems to know the sponsors and sorry david the initals of the owners from the domain whois doesnt count!!!!
to quote the olde guy in va...why so hush hush???

wabbit

ps you forgot to mention the nazis in your list

pps shades of 1979 greensboro massacre come to mind

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Few of us are going to this 2nd amendment support rally
Organizers say open carry friendly , curious how that's possible
When no firearms are allowed to any picket line or demonstration

Maybe they have permission from property owners? Will that make it acceptable?

http://www.dayofresistance.com/rally/

Please cite to the statute which makes it unlawful to open carry at a so-called picket line or demonstration.

J-SiN

Enjoyed a day of open carrying
Lot of good people , good speakers , the sheriff spoke
and an overall good experience

saw some ar-15's and ak 47s being carried as well!

brutus1776

Political subdivisions pretty much rules out any public property for OCing during a demonstration.

I've been looking for an 'answer' or a precedent to this question for years and no one has ever had one. I essentially was looking for an answer to: If someone is standing on the sidewalk or street corner with a sign, is this a demonstration, protest or picket line and does this qualify as being 'on' state or 'public' property? No one could answer.

The Day of Resistance event in Asheville took place IN a city park that is generally thought to have banned guns completely, however this is not the case. Others thought the 'protest' statute on 'public' property made it illegal to carry at the event. The organizers of this event finally got a statement from the police dept on what they were enforcing and needless to say numerous folks OC'ed including a number of rifles. (I know I know, Das ist Verboten talk on OC.org) I believe there are some serious misconceptions spread about this 'protest' statute. And obviously all the naysayers who have their panties in a bunch about OC qualifying an arrest under "going armed to the terror of the public" are just all washed up. If anything could qualify as 'armed to the terror of the public' (without brandishing, threats and capability of carrying out those threats) it would be a number of folks with long guns and sidearms gathered together in a public place.