Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

  1. #1
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196

    Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

    I don't have comcast, but if I did I would consider dropping them immediately. This is just absurd-

    snip-
    (02/18/13) - A gun shop owner said firearm manufacturers, distributors and retailers are being targeted unfairly after Comcast announces it's dropping all gun shop ads from its nationwide cable network.
    The cable company recently acquired NBC Universal and this is a long standing policy there.
    When a local ad agency recently placed an order for Williams Gun Sight in Davison Township, it was denied. Owner Tom Wright said he'll take his business elsewhere.

    "I thought it was ridiculous, we are a legitimate business, we have been here for 80 years," he said.


    http://www.abc12.com/story/21235510/...-cable-network
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  2. #2
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

    Comcast is and had been for sometime one of the worst companies to deal with. They will not change until their customers all leave or someone with some sense takes over the comany.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  3. #3
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030


    I opened this thread and there was a Comcast ad at the bottom of the page

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post


    I opened this thread and there was a Comcast ad at the bottom of the page
    +1 Classic


    Do gun manufacturers have many gun ads? I don't recall any.

    And how about the various gun related shows, they gonna cancel them too?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188
    So what is one to do, go with AT&T and get what i consider inferior services or stick with Comcast who chooses to not take money from gun sellers?

    However from what I found in a quick Google search AT&T has a zero tolerance weapons policy.
    Last edited by Raggs; 02-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  6. #6
    Regular Member FreeInAZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Secret Bunker
    Posts
    2,573

    Re: Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    So what is one to do, go with AT&T and get what i consider inferior services or stick with Comcast who chooses to not take money from gun sellers?

    However from what I found in a quick Google search AT&T has a zero tolerance weapons policy.
    You are right it's getting hard to find companies that respect 2A rights. Hell if one uses amazon - you just helped a company that gave $30,000 for police to " buy back " guns they never owned from little old ladies and the poor.

    It sure is a weird world we live in folks.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-19-2013 at 07:32 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

    “Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

  7. #7
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    You are right it's getting hard to find companies that respect 2A rights. Hell if one uses amazon - you just helped a company that gave $30,000 for police to " buy back " guns they never owned from little old ladies and the poor.

    It sure is a weird world we live in folks.
    I actually don't have a problem with that. If amazon wants to give private money to buyback programs I really don't think that's "anti-gun" per say. Now when you use taxpayer money to do it I have a BIG problem with it. But since buybacks are voluntary, it's obvious those people don't want the weapons they are turning in, and if they don't want it they are probably much more likely to be negligent with it.

    Also, amazon sells all kinds of gun accessories and and gun related items.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 02-19-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  8. #8
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I actually don't have a problem with that. If amazon wants to give private money to buyback programs I really don't think that's "anti-gun" per say. Now when you use taxpayer money to do it I have a BIG problem with it. But since buybacks are voluntary, it's obvious those people don't want the weapons they are turning in, and if they don't want it they are probably much more likely to be negligent with it.

    Also, amazon sells all kinds of gun accessories and and gun related items.
    I clearly explain why it's anti-rights in this thread.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1877979

    As far as Comcast, I agree with davidmcbeth. They're hypocritical to refuse to advertise gun related items while making money off of violent programming.
    Last edited by sharkey; 02-19-2013 at 09:29 PM.
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton


  9. #9
    Regular Member F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The High Plains of Wyoming
    Posts
    1,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    So what is one to do, go with AT&T and get what i consider inferior services or stick with Comcast who chooses to not take money from gun sellers?

    However from what I found in a quick Google search AT&T has a zero tolerance weapons policy.
    Dish; Direct, Starband (internet)....... There are plenty of options out there.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Jack House's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    I80, USA
    Posts
    2,661

    Re: Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

    Dish owns Direct, correct me if I'm wrong, but Starband of a satellite internet provider? (can't look it up on phone out in the boonies) if so, then it is automatically inferior. Satellite has atrocious ping, show connections, ridiculously low data caps, insanely high overage charges and thousand dollar installation fees. I'd call it highway robbery, but that really doesn't it justice. More like systematic rape or some such.

    The problem with switching providers is that your choices are extremely limited, assuming you even have a choice. At best you may be able to chose between cable, satellite and FiOS TV. Satellite is largely inferior to cable and can cost a lot more. FiOS TV I have no experience with. Chances are, you only have two options and if you rent or live in the boonies you only have one.


    We need to end the government sponsored monopolies that telecoms hold.

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

  11. #11
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    DirecTV and Dish are competitors.
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton


  12. #12
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

    Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    So what is one to do, go with AT&T and get what i consider inferior services or stick with Comcast who chooses to not take money from gun sellers?

    However from what I found in a quick Google search AT&T has a zero tolerance weapons policy.
    you are correct sir.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  13. #13
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Can someone explain AT&T's zero tolerance policy to me?
    "Public opinion and votes have nothing to do with this. The challenge of the Court is not what they're going to do with votes. The challenge-- of the Court is are they going to protect people's rights." - Al Sharpton


  14. #14
    Regular Member PFC HALE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    492

    Comcast ending all gun store advertisements

    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Can someone explain AT&T's zero tolerance policy to me?
    well they certainly dont allow weapons of any kind in the workplace.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

  15. #15
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I clearly explain why it's anti-rights in this thread.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1877979

    As far as Comcast, I agree with davidmcbeth. They're hypocritical to refuse to advertise gun related items while making money off of violent programming.
    i'll read it later when i get a chance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    Dish owns Direct, correct me if I'm wrong, but Starband of a satellite internet provider? (can't look it up on phone out in the boonies) if so, then it is automatically inferior. Satellite has atrocious ping, show connections, ridiculously low data caps, insanely high overage charges and thousand dollar installation fees. I'd call it highway robbery, but that really doesn't it justice. More like systematic rape or some such.

    The problem with switching providers is that your choices are extremely limited, assuming you even have a choice. At best you may be able to chose between cable, satellite and FiOS TV. Satellite is largely inferior to cable and can cost a lot more. FiOS TV I have no experience with. Chances are, you only have two options and if you rent or live in the boonies you only have one.


    We need to end the government sponsored monopolies that telecoms hold.

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Dish DOES NOT own directv,and satellite is NOT inferior to cable in any way. I switched to directv in 2001 and it has blown cable away as far as equipment technology and pricing. Depending on the package, both Dish and Direct are cheaper than most cable packages. Dish network is cheaper than directv, but lacks all the sports channels that directv carries. Directv is the best company i've ever done business with, they treat me great.
    Last edited by detroit_fan; 02-20-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  16. #16
    Regular Member detroit_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    1,196
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I clearly explain why it's anti-rights in this thread.

    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...=1#post1877979

    As far as Comcast, I agree with davidmcbeth. They're hypocritical to refuse to advertise gun related items while making money off of violent programming.
    ok, just read through what you linked to and I still don't agree with you, and i certainly don't think you made it "clear" that a buyback with private money is anti-rights. is it a "feel good" thing, for the most part yes, but i'll say again, if someone has a weapon they don't want i don't see anything "anti-rights" about turning that weapon in for money that they can use. like i said, if it's taxpayer money then i don't agree with it, but i see nothing wrong with private money paying for it.

    if that person who doesn't want the weapon is going to store it in an unsafe manner or allow it to be used by someone who shouldn't possess it, then i think selling it is the correct choice. we want more guns in the hands of people who want to be responsible with them, not in the hands of those who don't want them. jmo
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

  17. #17
    Regular Member Evil Creamsicle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Police State, USA
    Posts
    1,270
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post

    Also, amazon sells all kinds of gun accessories and and gun related items.
    ...like my Safariland 6280. $4 overnight shipping, yo.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mulligan's Valley
    Posts
    4,830
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    +1 Classic


    Do gun manufacturers have many gun ads? I don't recall any.
    A bit dated, but Benelli made at least a couple 30 second ads, and an infomercial, I think this was back in the late 90's.

    Here are the 30 second ones.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqkhiGgSa2c

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_eV9SmQV4o

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •