Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 NV legislative Session

Activist Member

2013 NV legislative Session

I am assembling information about bills in the Nevada 2013 Legislative Session.

Here is a table I am trying to keep up to date, describing the effects of these bills and their progress:
    http://armsinfo.com/nevada/bills2013.htm

Remember to contact your assemblymen and senators, and also leave comments to the legislature here:
    https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Opinions/77th2013/A/

Since SB221 was approved, it is up to the governor to veto it.

We need to call the governor and respond on his phone poll, send him an e-mail, write on his facebook, his twitter, etc.

Some links and phone numbers on the Nevada Shooters thread:
    http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=42676

Quote Originally Posted by Pachinko Pistola
    URGENT! Contact Governor Brian Sandoval through all means possible and urge him to VETO SB221. ACT NOW!

Call: 775-684-5670 to urge his veto (choose option #2)
    E-mail: http://gov.nv.gov/contact/governor/
    FAX: 775-684-5683 (if you don't have a fax machine, use http://faxzero.com)
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BrianSandoval
    Twitter: @GovSandoval (include hashtag #SB221)
    DEAD:
    SB396 (DEAD) - Assault Weapon Ban, Private transfer background checks, metal-penetrating bullet ban
    AB234 (DEAD) - Private transfer background checks, metal-penetrating bullet ban, tracer bullet ban, gun and ammo taxes
    AB232 (DEAD) - Constitutional Carry
    SB137 (DEAD)- Constitutional Carry, Preemption Enhancement
    AB340 (DEAD)- Preemption Bill, Mixed Effects
    AB235 (DEAD)- Weapons in vehicle on campus
    AB143 (DEAD)- Campus carry
    SB223 (DEAD)- Employee Campus Carry
    AB70 (DEAD)- Castle Doctrine Enhancement (Including Vehicles)
    AB196 (DEAD)- Requires the Attorney General to sue if Executive Orders violate the 2nd Amendment
    SB277 (DEAD) - Restrictions on sale of firearms to certain persons admitted to mental health facilities
    AB195 (DEAD) - Early CFP Renewal (To avoid background check fees)
    SB226 (DEAD) - qualify with 1 handgun & carry any, bans ccw of semiauto/revolver rifles, bans ccw of antique handguns, Requires "CCW" on Driver's license or ID. Amended to no longer improve preemption laws.

Survivors:
    SB221 - Private transfer background checks, psychiatrist ordered gun bans.

SB76 - qualify with 1 handgun & carry any, bans ccw of semiauto/revolver rifles, bans ccw of antique handguns

SB18 - Modifies the law regarding drilling and parading with arms as a military company to only restrict "voluntary" organizations rather than all organizations. <-- Most won't notice the change here unless you are part of a local militia or something of that nature.

SB213 - Changes provisions related to traps

SB136 - Specifies that a public officer or a person aiding him can use lethal force in defense against an imminent threat to life.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 06-06-2013 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Felid`Maximus View Post

Here is a table I am trying to keep up to date, describing the effects of these bills and their progress:

Remember to contact your assemblymen and senators, and also leave comments to the legislature here:
    Nice job on the List and Nice job on the website you put up!
    http://washoecountygunrights.blogspot.com/

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Some important bills:

AB143 - Campus Carry

SB76 - Concealed Weapon Types / Qualification

SB18 - Parading with Arms

BDR 915 - Firearms (Assemblyman Horne)

AB70 - Expansion of Justifiable Homicide

SB137 - Constitutional Carry / Eliminating Clark's Registration Scheme

BDR 15-38 - Firearms

BDR 15-216 - Possession of Weapons

BDR 15-446 - Firearms

BDR 20-643 - Uniform Firearm Regulation

BDR 15--685 - Concealed Firearms

BDR 931 - Assault Weapons, Registration, Armor Piercing Bullets, Private Sales

BDR 1062 - Firearms
    Outstanding job !!!!!!

NAVYBLUE

Does anyone know what the NVFAC's position is on each of these? Which ones are they working the hardest on? Who is doing the lobbying?

Who else is working for, or against, any of these particular bills?

I'd like to know how it is going.

Ken

Great Job!!! I am stuck out of the country for the next 2 mths and it is good to see that you are
    keeping an eye on what is going on. They start the new session today right?

BBJ

Quote Originally Posted by BBJCaptain View Post
    They start the new session today right?
    They started on the 4th

*** I am NOT a Lawyer, and I DO NOT have any LEGAL EXPERIENCE OR QUALIFICATIONS ***

MOLON LABE

Activist Member
    Thanks for the kind words, all.

I haven't heard from the NVFAC.

As with last time, Chairman Horne may be one of the biggest obstacles if he refuses to allow a vote on pro-gun bills in his committee. Last time he refused a vote on campus carry, which seems a conflict of interest seeing as how he is an adjunct professor at UNLV.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Excellent, thank you.

TBG
    Life member GOA and NRA. Member of SAF, NAGR, TXGR and Cast Bullet Assoc.

Thanks for the kind words, all.

I haven't heard from the NVFAC.

As with last time, Chairman Horne may be one of the biggest obstacles if he refuses to allow a vote on pro-gun bills in his committee. Last time he refused a vote on campus carry, which seems a conflict of interest seeing as how he is an adjunct professor at UNLV.
    Is Ass Horne a chairman again?
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-20-2013 at 01:37 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

MOLON LABE

Here is the contact info page (note that the form is not available, you have to use E-mail or other means) for the Nevada Commission on Ethics.

What would happen if they got flooded with complaints about Ass Horne's status at UNLV and his actions last session, with a request that he not be allowed to do so again this year?

http://ethics.nv.gov/COE_website_fil...ontact_us.html
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Activist Member
    I just assumed he was in the same position as last time... Looks like I'm wrong... he's not even on the Judiciary Committee:

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/7...ittees/JUD.cfm
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-20-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Holy cow! That is a awesome page and the ease to read it without all the fluff is nice. Keep up the great work.

So far the only bill I really read was the AB143, which I pray comes into play. I even supported at the link on the page with the NV Legislature.

Activist Member
    Thanks, I'm glad it is useful.

For SB76, there is an upcoming hearing this Wednesday at 9:00 AM in the Legislative Building in Carson City.

The hearing is in Room 2149 of the legislative building and video conferenced to Room 4412 of the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

I strongly encourage those who wish to attend to fully understand the implications of this bill.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-24-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Thanks, I'm glad it is useful.

For SB76, there is an upcoming hearing this Wednesday at 9:00 AM in the Legislative Building in Carson City.

The hearing is in Room 2149 of the legislative building and video conferenced to Room 4412 of the Grant Sawyer State Office Building in Las Vegas.

I strongly encourage those who wish to attend to fully understand the implications of this bill.
    I wish I could attend, good work Felid Maximus keep it up.

Your Friend Robin47

In AB143 about allowing concealed carry on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education, does that include all schools or just the universities? I am just not sure what NSHE includes. Thanks for any info.

Activist Member
    Thanks Robin47.

renoglock22,

The Nevada System of Higher Education is only the government run portion of the Colleges and Universities. If AB143 passes, persons with permits will be able to carry therefore at places like UNR, UNLV, TMCC, etc. but K-12 Schools and childcare facilities will still be prohibited places.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-25-2013 at 10:52 AM.

renoglock22,

The Nevada System of Higher Education is only the government run portion of the Colleges and Universities. If AB143 passes, persons with permits will be able to carry therefore at places like UNR, UNLV, TMCC, etc. but K-12 Schools and childcare facilities will still be prohibited places.

Ok, thank you. I have heard of people talking about K-12 schools being part of the NSHE so I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by renoglock22 View Post
    Ok, thank you. I have heard of people talking about K-12 schools being part of the NSHE so I wasn't sure.
    As disappointing as it is, their still gonna keep K-12 "Gun Free." However, this is a very good step in the right direction for gun owners, if it finally passes and we are allowed to carry on campus, I'll probably get a CCW just so I can carry at school. Sadly I'm more afraid of faculty blowing up than a student, which is the fear most have when considering this issue. So be waiting for my call right after this passes MAC702 ^^ I just hope sooner or later OC will be allowed, I'd much rather know who is carrying rather than who isn't carrying lol.

Glad this page got stickied on the forum, I'm checking on all this constantly. Hopefully when the this comes up (unless I missed it already), that I'll be able to go and voice my opinion on it.

FYI, as it is now, carrying on campus with a permit, but without the permission of the school, is a misdemeanor; not a felony.

Activist Member
    I believe the SB76 hearing can be seen over the web from this link at 9:00 AM today:
    http://nvleg.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?event_id=530

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    FYI, as it is now, carrying on campus with a permit, but without the permission of the school, is a misdemeanor; not a felony.
    Correct.... It is a gross misdemeanor under NRS 202.265 for being anywhere on the campus. http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-2...l#NRS202Sec265
    And for permit holders carrying a concealed firearm, it is a simple misdemeanor under NRS 202.3673 ( http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-2...#NRS202Sec3673 ) if you enter the buildings.

I don't know if a prosecutor would try to charge you with both crimes if you had a permit and were in a building or if they would pick just one.

Per NRS chapter 193 http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-1...l#NRS193Sec140

Gross misdemeanor is up to 1 year in jail and up to $2000 in fines

misdemeanor is up to 6 months in jail and up to $1000 in fines or community service.

If you are a student, it is also possible that you may face academic sanctions including expulsion and potentially even revocation of degrees and credits earned. I'm not sure fully the extent of their ability to do such sanctions, however.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-27-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Activist Member
    I regret not going to this hearing on SB76. Nobody was there to speak out against the part of the bill prohibiting the concealed carry of semi-automatic rifles even after the NVSCA testified that this was their prime concern for passing the bill.

From the looks of things after this session I will be throwing away the case my .22 rifle came in so as not to become a felon.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 02-27-2013 at 12:32 PM.

I was there, Chose not to testify against it.I did not have my Ducks together on the whole issue, and if I would have gotten started it would have been on the Sheriffs and Chiefs anyway.

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
    I regret not going to this hearing on SB76. Nobody was there to speak out against the part of the bill prohibiting the concealed carry of semi-automatic rifles
    This was the wrong place for that issue.

Job One is to relax restrictions on civil rights in any way we can. This was a good step on the way to Constitutional Carry.

Now that NVSCA has come out in favor of "any handgun" -- from their initial position, not so long ago, that EACH INDIVIDUAL GUN be listed -- they would find it very hard to go back. Now the effort is Constitutional Carry, and the argument about concealed long guns would get in the way of that.

We can go back and clean up later, and throw the NVSCA's words in their face about short versions of rifles.

I emailed the following to my state senators with SB137 as the subject (the Constitutional Carry bill). You may use it for ideas (subject to your experiences), but please do not cut-and-paste. We are more powerful in our own words than adding form letters.
    My name is MAC702. I am the owner of Blue & Gold Firearms Training. If this bill passes, I will lose a lot of paying clients.

I support this bill. People who choose to exercise the responsibility of carrying firearms legally are not the ones we worry about. There is no need for them to go through the expensive and delayed process of obtaining a permit to do so in a discreet manner.

There is currently no need to obtain such permission and licensing in order to carry a firearm openly. Yet, the many of us who do so are not the ones that are causing problems.

Please continue the trend we've had for the past decade of restoring more and more freedom to Nevadans. Please note my use of the word "restore." These were freedoms that were removed from us, and the interim period has affirmed that such regulation was not the solution, as those intent on evil will commit such evil regardless of possession laws on their tools.

I will happily be available to meet with any of you or your staff who may have any questions regarding NV state firearms laws and their actual impact on Nevadans. I teach it on a near daily basis.

I thank you for time. I have kept this letter brief and to the point. I welcome any discussion any of you would like to have in more detail.

In your discussion of this bill, particularly as a Judiciary Committee, please consider the following. The current law is old and poorly written. It makes no exceptions for private property, regardless of permission given, or even in one's own private home. It makes no exceptions for suitcases or firearms cases in the hand while carrying even unloaded handguns in travel, backpacking, or commuting to or from lawful firearms events. While enforcement of this is mercifully tolerant, it is a travesty that the law is not fixed and several citizens have expressed deep concern wondering where to draw a line. The best solution is the easy solution: remove the confusion by redacting the law.
    Here are your state senators' Email addresses: tsegerblom@sen.state.nv.us, Adrian.Viesca@sen.state.nv.us, Emily.McIlveene@sen.state.nv.us, Ruben.Kihuen@sen.state.nv.us, Aaron.Ford@sen.state.nv.us, Lauren.Brooks@sen.state.nv.us, Aaron.Ford@sen.state.nv.us, Paula.Saponaro@sen.state.nv.us, Justin.Jones@sen.state.nv.us, Susan.Gaither@sen.state.nv.us, Greg.Brower@sen.state.nv.us, Scott.Hammond@sen.state.nv.us, Lezlie.Mayville@sen.state.nv.us, Stella.Blood@sen.state.nv.us, Mark.Hutchison@sen.state.nv.us,
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-28-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast