• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time visitor and (very nervous) soon to be open carrier

IDK

I just received my first gun I am wanting to open carry. My problem is, I am extremely nervous. I want to make sure that I know the laws. Is there a booklet or anything I should carry with me? And I heard you can not carry in Charleston. And my last question is, if confronted by an officer, what is the best way to respond if they are giving me a hard time? Thanks to anyone that will answer my questions. By the way, I live in West Virginia.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO - moved you question(s) to the WVa sub-forum for state specific responses.

Ex Pat

A great place to start would be places off limits either open or concealed available here http://www.wvcdl.org/WVCCW.php. I really like this site because of the links provided to the WV code. So if you want to understand the law, then it's time to read, read, read and ask questions. Welcome.

IDK

Thank You

Thank you, Grape shot for moving me to the right forum, and Ex Pat for the link. I have a lot to learn, and understandably, I want to know as much as possible. You guys have already been very helpful. Thanks again!

jdmm72

I agree with the recommendation to get your permit. That way if during OC you accidently conceal by your shirt coming untucked or putting a coat on without thinking, then you're covered.