• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New OC member in Central Va.

CopBlockRVA

I'm glad I found this forum. I have read and understand all federal and state laws regarding handguns and other firearms but it helps to here situation specific examples and such. I open carry because I feel a CHP is signing away my rights and having me registered like some sort of livestock. I am not a criminal and should not have to carry "papers" and be fingerprinted. Also open carry allows me to show off the holsters I make to other gun enthusiasts.

--Posts moved to new thread by Moderator--

Last edited by a moderator:

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
I'm glad I found this forum. I have read and understand all federal and state laws regarding handguns and other firearms but it helps to here situation specific examples and such. I open carry because I feel a CHP is signing away my rights and having me registered like some sort of livestock. I am not a criminal and should not have to carry "papers" and be fingerprinted. Also open carry allows me to show off the holsters I make to other gun enthusiasts.

You haven't read up all that well, fingerprinting for a CHP is no longer allowed...

I agree with the rest of your sentiment though.

Roscoe

CopBlockRVA

You haven't read up all that well, fingerprinting for a CHP is no longer allowed...

I agree with the rest of your sentiment though.

Roscoe

thanks for that updated info, last I checked you had too and I have not seen anything about it since then. Its still uncomfortable to be essentially a registered gun owner on a government list. I buy all my guns private sale even, I'm not a tin-hat wearer or anything, just very much against an overreaching government knowing anything about what I own or what I do.

TFred

Welcome to OCDO! Perhaps a moderator will move these past few posts into a new thread, since they don't really have anything to do with the CHP in the car issue.

An excellent source of information about gun laws that have changed over the past few years (as well as gun laws that have not changed but could have!) is the VCDL's Legislative Tracking Tool webpage.

They set one of these up every year, and it is updated as the various pieces of legislation move through the law-making process. If you take a few minutes to look through the past few years, you can see which bills passed, and thus changed laws, and which bills failed. For example, if you look through the 2012 page, you will find HB754, which repealed the option for localities to require fingerprinting for a CHP application.

Of course the current year, 2013, is still in process, so it is still being updated as the status changes for any of the bills still alive.

TFred

VCDL Legislative Status, by year: