• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for good legal counsel in Eastern Idaho

VanillaBK

I am new to Eastern Idaho and will start carrying soon once my Minnesota permit is replaced by an Idaho permit. I would like to know who the gun law knowledgeable attorneys are in Idaho Falls. Who would you call?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

JK Idaho

I am new to Eastern Idaho and will start carrying soon once my Minnesota permit is replaced by an Idaho permit. I would like to know who the gun law knowledgeable attorneys are in Idaho Falls. Who would you call?

Always great to see a new Idahoan. You can Open Carry in Idaho without any permit, and as I recall, Idaho accepts ALL other state's permits, so you can CC with your Minnesota permit. Can't help you with a lawyer though, sorry!

JK Idaho

VanillaBK

Always great to see a new Idahoan. You can Open Carry in Idaho without any permit, and as I recall, Idaho accepts ALL other state's permits, so you can CC with your Minnesota permit. Can't help you with a lawyer though, sorry!

JK Idaho

Thanks for the friendly welcome. I am very new to this OC thing but loving it. I concealed in Minnesota because that's all I knew. Before MN we lived in CA were I felt like a criminal just owning firearms.

When we moved out here I spotted my first OCer at Big Jud's in Archer. He had an 1911 on his hip. I was shocked by it. I didn't know what to think. My wife asked me if that was legal. I said it must be, people just don't walk around in public with illegal stuff strapped out in the open for all to see. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, I was too busy trying to down a very big hamburger.

I have just started OCing part time. I don't feel quite comfortable without a permit. My MN permit just expired. Even though I know it's legal I feel more comfortable carrying with a permit for some odd reason.

JK Idaho

Thanks for the friendly welcome. I am very new to this OC thing but loving it. I concealed in Minnesota because that's all I knew. Before MN we lived in CA were I felt like a criminal just owning firearms.

When we moved out here I spotted my first OCer at Big Jud's in Archer. He had an 1911 on his hip. I was shocked by it. I didn't know what to think. My wife asked me if that was legal. I said it must be, people just don't walk around in public with illegal stuff strapped out in the open for all to see. I didn't get a chance to talk to him, I was too busy trying to down a very big hamburger.

I have just started OCing part time. I don't feel quite comfortable without a permit. My MN permit just expired. Even though I know it's legal I feel more comfortable carrying with a permit for some odd reason.

I understand. I recently turned 18, so I am rather new to OCing outside of my house as well. I too am looking forward to the arrival of a permit of my own so I can CC when I wish. However, I have to say that I intended to only OC until I got my permit, but I think now I will still OC a significant portion of the time.

CarryTheTruth

I understand. I recently turned 18, so I am rather new to OCing outside of my house as well. I too am looking forward to the arrival of a permit of my own so I can CC when I wish. However, I have to say that I intended to only OC until I got my permit, but I think now I will still OC a significant portion of the time.

JK, I've seen a few posts where you've indicated your getting a CC permit from another state because the local Idaho sheriff won't grant you an Idaho CWL due to your age.

The major thing you gotta watch is that, per the federal Gun Free School Zone Act (GFSZA), you will not be lawfully CC'ing when you are within 1000 feet of the property line of a daycare, preschool, church that holds school (even on Sundays), or K-12 schools, all qualified as "schools" in the GFSZA,

This is because you need an Idaho CWL to be federally "lawful" to OC or CC within 1000 feet of the property line of these Idaho schools noted above (same for you, VanillaBK, when you OC). The GFSZA is 'interpreted' as requiring an OC/CC to have a permit from that state to OC/CC within 1000 feet of schools in that same state. A permit from another state is not recognized by the federal gov't for such.

The 1995 GFSZA makes it a 5-year, $10,000.00 felony for having a firearm within 1000 feet of school property. GFSZA was normally used as a "secondary" charge when a primary felony (usually drug dealing) was committed. This, to add more time to the jail sentence.

However, Obama has directed Holder (Dept. of Justice) to start using the GFSZA as a sole and *primary* felony offense, especially in more liberal states/territories such as Calif or Washington D.C.

Thus, be *really* careful where (either of) you OC until you get your Idaho CWL.

Last edited:

VanillaBK

JK, I've seen a few posts where you've indicated your getting a CC permit from another state because the local Idaho sheriff won't grant you an Idaho CWL due to your age.

The major thing you gotta watch is that, per the federal Gun Free School Zone Act (GFSZA), you will not be lawfully CC'ing when you are within 1000 feet of the property line of a daycare, preschool, church that holds school (even on Sundays), or K-12 schools, all qualified as "schools" in the GFSZA,

This is because you need an Idaho CWL to be federally "lawful" to OC or CC within 1000 feet of the property line of these Idaho schools noted above (same for you, VanillaBK, when you OC). The GFSZA is 'interpreted' as requiring an OC/CC to have a permit from that state to OC/CC within 1000 feet of schools in that same state. A permit from another state is not recognized by the federal gov't for such.

The 1995 GFSZA makes it a 5-year, $10,000.00 felony for having a firearm within 1000 feet of school property. GFSZA was normally used as a "secondary" charge when a primary felony (usually drug dealing) was committed. This, to add more time to the jail sentence.

However, Obama has directed Holder (Dept. of Justice) to start using the GFSZA as a sole and *primary* felony offense, especially in more liberal states/territories such as Calif or Washington D.C.

Thus, be *really* careful where (either of) you OC until you get your Idaho CWL.

I just got the call. My wait is over. I pick up my Idaho permit tomorrow. Thanks for the info. I need to brush up on GFSZA for I travel to Florida and Az occasionally and ut a lot.

JK Idaho

Thanks for the advice! Of course, as usual, this is nothing more than a "gotchya" law, but I stay away from schools (homeschooled all the way through highschool) so that won't be much of a problem for me, except for the fact that I could probably be nailed on that driving in Downtown Boise, cause there are a couple schools in the area. Note to self, don't speed near schools.

VanillaBK

So it seems like nobody knows of good legal counsel in Eastern Idaho. What about the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network? Anybody have experience with this organization? Www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

Jeff Hayes

Cite please.

hermannr

So it seems like nobody knows of good legal counsel in Eastern Idaho. What about the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network? Anybody have experience with this organization? Www.armedcitizensnetwork.org

I do not know any pro2a lawyers in ID, but I can give you this. It is an Idaho Supreme Court ruling from back in 1902. Very short and to the point. THIS IS Idaho law...vetted by the state supremes...do not worry about unlicensed OC in Idaho...and this is why...http://www.guncite.com/court/state/70p609.html