Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Handgun transportation in a pickup truck

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Clinton, OH
    Posts
    4

    Handgun transportation in a pickup truck

    First off, I'm new here, and so I apologize if this is addressed elsewhere. If so, kindly point me to it and I'll go read up.

    If not, here's my question. I want to open carry my handgun, which is fine in public places, on foot, etc. But the transition from on foot to vehicle is where Ohio laws get stupid. I am aware that it is illegal to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle without a CCW (which I should be getting in the next month, but regardless). I have an extended cab pickup, and would like to try to get advice/experience on the proper way to transport the handgun in a truck. The law gets very fuzzy here, and I have never been able to find a proper explanation; I may have been looking in the wrong places, not sure.

    And yes, I've read the laws, just can't make sense of this part, the rest is clear enough.

    Anyone have any experience or clarification on this?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    The law on this will be changing on March 27th. The governor signed HB495 back in December and it takes effect in March.

    Ohio law is not written very well, and can be confusing as a result.

    One key change in HB495 is that a loaded magazine is no longer defined as being a loaded gun. The loaded magazine, of course, cannot be in the gun.

    I guess the point I am trying to make is to read HB495 also, not just the current code.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Clinton, OH
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    The law on this will be changing on March 27th. The governor signed HB495 back in December and it takes effect in March.

    Ohio law is not written very well, and can be confusing as a result.

    One key change in HB495 is that a loaded magazine is no longer defined as being a loaded gun. The loaded magazine, of course, cannot be in the gun.

    I guess the point I am trying to make is to read HB495 also, not just the current code.
    Much appreciated. I had read all the laws currently in effect, but HB495 really clears it up. Means I can wear my mags on my belt and my pistol in its case next to me and be legal. Now I just need to check the Virginia's and NC for current laws. I drive to and from NC to pick up/drop off my daughter, and prefer to be armed during the drive.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    209
    You know, Ohio law really is dumb...This just had me thinking...

    Once HB495 goes into effect on the 27th...imagine this scenario:

    You're driving your car, while carrying your handgun. You do not have a CHL, but you are following a laws. You have fully loaded magazines which are NOT in the firearm.

    You're sitting at a stop light, it's night. Someone approaches your vehicle from the side, and lets say you're entirely blocked in - absolutely no way to retreat due to blocked vehicles around you.

    The person approaching you brandishes a knife, or another weapon, and tries opening your door. When that fails, they begin attempting to break your windows to gain entry to you [or they flat out break the windows].

    You're in a situation where you can justifiably use deadly force to protect yourself. You insert a magazine, put one in the chamber, and pull the trigger.

    You either kill or wound the attacker, call the police, explain what happened. The attacker is arrested and taken to the hospital.........


    And now justice can truly fail you, because you could very well be arrested as well for loading the magazine into the firearm while in a vehicle without holding a CHL.



    ---

    There's no exception to HB495 regarding this, is there? Granted, this same rare scenario could have happened prior [and still could] to HB 495...but loading a round or two takes a bit longer.....I feel many more people will carry their weapons with them while driving without CHLs once this goes into effect.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Clinton, OH
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hareuhal View Post
    You know, Ohio law really is dumb...This just had me thinking...

    Once HB495 goes into effect on the 27th...imagine this scenario:

    You're driving your car, while carrying your handgun. You do not have a CHL, but you are following a laws. You have fully loaded magazines which are NOT in the firearm.

    You're sitting at a stop light, it's night. Someone approaches your vehicle from the side, and lets say you're entirely blocked in - absolutely no way to retreat due to blocked vehicles around you.

    The person approaching you brandishes a knife, or another weapon, and tries opening your door. When that fails, they begin attempting to break your windows to gain entry to you [or they flat out break the windows].

    You're in a situation where you can justifiably use deadly force to protect yourself. You insert a magazine, put one in the chamber, and pull the trigger.

    You either kill or wound the attacker, call the police, explain what happened. The attacker is arrested and taken to the hospital.........


    And now justice can truly fail you, because you could very well be arrested as well for loading the magazine into the firearm while in a vehicle without holding a CHL.



    ---

    There's no exception to HB495 regarding this, is there? Granted, this same rare scenario could have happened prior [and still could] to HB 495...but loading a round or two takes a bit longer.....I feel many more people will carry their weapons with them while driving without CHLs once this goes into effect.
    Thats why I hate dealing with Ohio law, everything even in black letter law is controversial and dangerous. Just like even with HB 495, if a cop decided that my MOLLE 2-mag pouch on my belt is not a proper container for a magazine because it uses velcro and not, say, a snap or a buckle, I could get in serious trouble even though the magazine would be separate from the handgun, and the handgun and ammunition were separated in their respective containers (handgun in its case next to me in the truck).

    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but I'd rather not become a felon due to a ***** cop and a traffic stop.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, but I'd rather not become a felon due to a ***** cop and a traffic stop.
    Especially when the left is continually working on softening the minds of that potential twelve from the cradle on. Juries work when we have a majority of the population that understands natural rights, like the natural right to have opportunity to secure and protect yourself. IMHO, less people understand that important principle so it weakens juries.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    307
    Quote Originally Posted by JmE View Post
    Especially when the left is continually working on softening the minds of that potential twelve from the cradle on. Juries work when we have a majority of the population that understands natural rights, like the natural right to have opportunity to secure and protect yourself. IMHO, less people understand that important principle so it weakens juries.
    Don't underestimate jurors. They are regular folks. They are much more likely to favor someone who is trying to defend life and limb under desperate circimstances than someone who they believe is attempting to excuse conduct which most people would understand to be unlawful by arguing novel interpretations of the law.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    358
    Oh, I don't disagree with you, Werz. I was describing a process and the only way I'd know how far into it we really are would be if I were involved with jury trials regularly. Since I'm neither judge or attorney, I haven't any real way to measure such things. I've watched as the educational system liberalizes youngsters into liberal adults. That's part of the process that I believe will cost this nation dearly if it's ignored.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •