• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Response from Sen. Harkin

Kromwell

Here is a response I got from Sen. Harkin, and my response to 'his'

I didnt feel like pointing out to him, as he decided to use Sandyhook as justification for banning 'assault weapons' that there were no big-bag scary rifles used.

Dear Mr. Harkin,

As a voter, who has voted for you over the last several decades, It's disappointing to receive the same form letter/canned response from you twice now.

Your views on gun ownership, and rights, seems very out of whack with your stance that you are a hunter. You should know, that you will not fire 'hundreds of bullets a minute" out of a semi-automatic pistol or rifle. Even an M16A1 which I trained with while in the military for almost a decade starting in the mid 80's, is not capable of that on semi-automatic. These guns are just that, semi-automatic. They are not 'assault weapons', a purely political term created for the previous weapons ban in 1994.

Stop trying to prevent lawful citizens from being allowed to support the 2nd amendment.

The issue is not citizens who legally own fire arms, it's those who get them illegally and use them for illegal actions. If this were the case, the laws making the use of Heroin, Cocaine, and Meth would of worked! We have cars that go well over 125mph on the HWY's, yet we don't try to close down the car manufactures, because someone was drunk and got into an accident and hurt/killed someone. I do not see cars being banned. A firearm is just a tool, it's how its used that is the deciding factor.

Instead of concentrating on making it harder for law abiding citizens to purchase firearms through the proper channels, going through background checks, how about the House and Senate focus on the deficit, or actually getting a balanced budget.

I'm a registered Democrat, and I'm very disappointed in the party and the nonsensical stance everyone is making, instead of working together and FIXING stuff. I've been a huge fan and supporter of yours, since I was able to vote, but that has changed. I look forward to voting for your replacement in 2014, as I could not in good consciousness, continue to give you my support by voting for you.

Please dont send the below response again, 2x is enough.

Thank you,
Scott Bxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
disappointed ex-supporter

From: Senator@harkin.senate.gov [mailto:Senator@harkin.senate.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:53 PM
To: xxxx
Subject: Reply from Senator Harkin

February 20, 2013

Mr. Scott Bxxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxxx
Dear Scott:
Thank you for contacting me regarding common sense gun safety measures. I appreciate hearing from you about this important topic.
As a nation, we grieve for the victims of the tragedy that unfolded last week at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. As a father and grandfather, I struggle to process the event, and send my deepest sympathies to each and every family impacted. I join them in questioning what we can do to prevent future tragedies. I also salute the teachers and first responders, who acted so heroically in the face of such terror. Though the details of this tragedy are still unfolding, one thing is clear: it is time to address increasing gun violence in this country.
Allow me to share with you my general views on gun safety measures. As a hunter, I know that the recreational use and collection of guns is important to many Iowans and I will work to protect the legitimate rights of law-abiding American gun owners. But we need to ask whether people need unlimited access to any arms, including those capable of shooting hundreds of bullets in a very short time. We can support gun rights while continuing to support responsible legislation to reduce crime and make our schools and communities safer. Each of these goals is important and I believe that they can be accomplished simultaneously.
Over the years, I have consistently supported common-sense measures to protect our communities by restricting the availability of firearms to those who have no need for them or should not have access to them, such as children and criminals. For example, in the past, I have voted in favor of legislation to close the loopholes on criminal background checks on gun purchases at gun shows, and to require gun manufacturers to include child safety locks on guns. I have also voted against a blanket liability exception for gun manufacturers and sellers.
When an assault weapons ban was considered in the Senate in 1994, I supported such a ban and I was pleased when it became law. Unfortunately, the 10-year ban expired on September 13, 2004. There have been multiple attempts to renew the ban, but no such bill has reached the Senate floor for a vote.
Turning to another critical issue raised by the Sandy Hook shooting, we simply cannot ignore the need to renew our focus on mental health services in our country with an emphasis on prevention and early intervention. In the coming days, I will take a closer look at how the federal government can ensure that people and communities who need help for mental health conditions have timely access to the services they require and that those suffering after this tragedy also have the resources they need to heal.
Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. Please do not hesitate to let me know how you feel on any issue that concerns you.

Sincerely,

Tom Harkin
United States Senator

Last edited: