• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Comcast in King County

Gene Beasley

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/02/19/comcast-to-firearms-shops-your-moneys-no-good-here/

Regrettably, I am going to be dropping Comcast. I really only use them for Internet; don't watch TV and can live without the phone, but it's cheaper to bundle. At any rate, any recommendations for firearm friendly broadband? Damn, I'm getting 23.3 downstream.

On another note, if you supported Mike Hope R-44 LD, you might want to contact him and let him know how disappointed you are in his support of HB 1588 out of the Judiciary Committee.

decklin

It's funny. A major corporation that relies on the protection of the First Amendment doesn't recognize the Amendment that protects the First.
I think it's time to find a better cable/internet provider.

LarryM

Dumped CommieCast yesterday myself...will be getting my old DirecTV dish along with the tripod out of the closet and be watching that. Screw them....

40grit

Xfinity/Comcast

Xfinity/Comast has a ad on Open Carry.com,s banner. That a good one, good luck :bangheadwith that guy,s.:banghead:

Alpine

A little off-topic but related to the company and other good reasons to avoid them...

Comcrap is evil anyway, and bad service for the most part on their residential connections. Because their residential connections offer no contract (which they claim is an advantage because it allows you to "cancel" at any time), there are no Quality of Service guarantees and your internet can be off or slow for as long as they want. Don't like it? Cancel and good luck trying to find someone else since they have net and cable monopolies throughout much of WA granted by Local Franchise Authorities.

When Verizon was bringing FiOS into WA they got around the LFA's monopoly agreements with Comcrap by offering FiOS, and because FiOS was so high speed it fell into a different category than Comcrap's slow cable. What was Comcrap's answer? Was it to invest in fiber optics and try to compete? No. Their answer was to basically take their antique coaxial-cable network from the 80s and 90s and push to to the max by throttling everyone's net way down in an attempt to say they could offer speeds of 50-100mpbs, which of course no one hardly every gets and if you do its for the first 10 seconds. The second part of their plan was pour all their money into a huge negative ad-blitz campaign against FiOS. I'm sure some of you saw the ads of people showing up on doorsteps with a wrecking crew outside telling homeowners they were installing FiOS while digging up their yard, and the homeowners were saying "no thanks, I love my comcast, it's BLAZING fast!"

In the end Comcrap's cheap, underhanded tactics worked and FiOS sold most of its holdings to Frontier and left WA for the most part. Frontier isn't really pushing the fiber development and is basically just running the left over infrastructure into the ground.

After all that was said and done it wasn't enough for Comcrap, they had to spend money on something I had never seen before in my life: an advertising Victory campaign... There were billboards everywhere loudly proclaiming "Verizon FiOS is leaving WA, Comcast Xfinity is here to stay." When I saw one of these up near Whidbey Island I could not believe it...

On top of these things Comcast is the company that for years had a secret bandwidth cap they wouldn't tell customers about until they went over it, 250gb per month, while telling their customers their internet was unlimited. The FCC eventually forced them to disclose it. They also got caught doing illegal traffic shaping on their networks by blocking bit-torrent protocol as well as faking your computer's identity to initiate TCP-IP requests to cancel large file transfers to keep their network going faster.

I've heard their business class has none of these problems and offers contracts with QoS's guarantees, no caps and no throttling but I'm not sure I'd trust that.

It doesn't surprise me they are anti-firearm too.