• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun shops don't know gun laws

KentuckyEMT

So I've been in quite a few gun shops around Louisville and they all tell me the same thing I can't have a handgun anywhere on mein public until im 21 im fixin to turn 20 I know I can't CC but I also know that I can Openly Carry a handgun at 20. So what is the deal with all the shops around here ? I even had one guy tell me that if I came in his shop with a pistol he would call the cops. Do they not know the laws or are they just being jerks?

self preservation

So I've been in quite a few gun shops around Louisville and they all tell me the same thing I can't have a handgun anywhere on mein public until im 21 im fixin to turn 20 I know I can't CC but I also know that I can Openly Carry a handgun at 20. So what is the deal with all the shops around here ? I even had one guy tell me that if I came in his shop with a pistol he would call the cops. Do they not know the laws or are they just being jerks?

Do you write your patient run reports without the use of periods and that style of grammer? J/K. It could be one or the other...or both (not knowing or jerks) A few possible reasons for this. One reason is just because they are a gun store doesn't mean they know every law in regards to carry. The same that I assume that you are still a brand new EMT due to your age. Can you tell me the difference between a monophasic vs biphasic defibrillator? That question is in your line of work but you probably don't know because for the most part it does not pertain to you. But I bet you can tell me what BSI is. The same with a gun store. They proably know the laws that peratin to the sell of firearms, but not the carry laws.

And of course they can be a$$holes. Learn the laws and educate them if they are wrong. If they still give you grief, take your business elsewhere.

EMNofSeattle

To be honest, local gun shops seem to be gathering places and spawning grounds for Fudds and Gun Snobs, everyone in there is an expert and will never hesitate to remind you just how expert they are.

That's why I usually buy my gun and ammo stuff online or at Wal-Mart or Cabelas. The people at the nearest local gunshops to me are definitely gun snobs, and also those places attract the "lurker know it-alls" like looking at a rack of rifles at a gun shop, and there's a Swedish Mauser, so I pick it up and take a look at it, and right away someone's like "well that's a swedish mauser, but I wouldn't get it because the inspection mark is from some guy who took bribes and yada yada yada...

KentuckyEMT

Lol I just typed it fast and using my phone doesn't help either but you do make a good point. Oh and BSI means Bodily Substance Isolation lol they drilled that into from day 1 as far as the other thing goes im lost lol

self preservation

Lol I just typed it fast and using my phone doesn't help either but you do make a good point. Oh and BSI means Bodily Substance Isolation lol they drilled that into from day 1 as far as the other thing goes im lost lol

You will learn it all in time. Keep learning KY gun laws. I encourage you to visit the top sticky post on this forum. Educate other when you can. If they don't want to be educated, piss on em.

Fallschirjmäger

I work behind the counter at a gun store every other weekend.

Sometimes we dispense sage advice, other times we're just the guys behind the register like at your local grocery store. More than once I've been asked 'what's the law on .....' and didn't have an answer. Y'know what? The answer's available to anyone who looks it up, him or me, so.... why doesn't he know?

I can tell you who I can, and who I cannot transfer a firearm to, but 'where can I carry' isn't part of selling guns so I'm not always up on the nuances, even though I Should Be.

09jisaac

They do not need to know the laws to be proficient at their jobs. All they really need to know is how to do the proper paperwork properly, and who they can transfer a firearm to legally.

I had the same problems when I started to OC.

KBCraig

Generally speaking, gun shop clerks are the only source of information about gun laws who are worse than police officers.

There are numerous shining counter-examples in both groups, of course, but in both you do find a prevalent stereotype: the need to be "the expert", to always be right, to always win the argument, and to suffer nothing that contradicts them.