Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone here OC'ing up in Skagit County, and more specifically, Anacortes?

Is there anyone here OC'ing up in Skagit County, and more specifically, Anacortes?

Just joined opencarry, found out about you guys from WaGuns.org
    I'm pretty new to all this. Someone asked on WaGuns if I OC'd and I had to laugh. For as much as I'd like to, I would undoubtedly be asking
    for trouble, and I'm not ready to go toe to toe with a bunch of above the law cops here. So I mentioned it to my dad to get his thoughts, a 25yr
    firefighter/paramedic for the city department...
    He just laughed and basically said good luck with that.

I've been CC'ing now since early January and even that
    took some getting use to, now it's becoming the norm, but I'd much rather OC... I'm just not ready for the war that would probably ensue.
    Unless I'm wrong and there are others here who have, I'd love to hear from you... and btw, gogodawg, loved your posts. Was hoping there
    was someone up here who had info on local stores and such.

I've lived in Anacortes since 1988 and not once seen an OC once, just to give you an idea.
    This is liberal town.

My friend and I were just up there last week at the San Juan Lanes Bowling Alley, so maybe that counts? We were OC'ing, but still had coats on to combat the chilly weather.
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." George Patton

Quote Originally Posted by FMJ 911 View Post
    My friend and I were just up there last week at the San Juan Lanes Bowling Alley, so maybe that counts? We were OC'ing, but still had coats on to combat the chilly weather.
    Well that's a start! Thanks for posting.
    You're the first I know of, however, I'm talking fully visible OC in oh say, main downtown... into Safeway and old downtown and around all the shops.
    That would be the big test.
    I'm going to look into Safeway and The Market's OC policies here in the next day or so when I get the chance.
    Those are the mainstay's of my visits to town.

Safeway's official policy is OC-neutral (defers to state law). IIRC I OC'd at the West Marine store down there once a while ago. OC in Burlington & Mt Vernon pretty frequently, never so much as a peep. And all the time down here in equally hippy-libby South Whidbey.

Remember, just KNOW the law, respect private property, keep your recorder handy, and don't talk to the police if contacted.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Is there anyone here OC'ing up in Skagit County, and more specifically, Anacortes?

Don't anticipate that there is going to be a "war" if you start to OC. I've never had any issues in the six months I've been oc'ing. Most people don't even seem to notice as long as you go about your business and aren't twitchy or acting nervous. I'd suggest finding a few stores that are generally oc friendly to get your feet wet. Wal-Mart in mount Vernon, the anacortes gun and telescope shop, oak harbor city council chambers .

If you want to make the "long" haul down to the smoky point area I'll take you around to a few of the stores.
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Open invitation to Bellingham Starbucks, Bakerview and Northwest, Sundays 10 Am.

I have OC'd nearly everywhere for everyday for nearly 5 years.

Have been to Anacortes OC and no problems.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Welcome to OCDO. Carry on just as you would if it is a phone case/leatherman on your hip. Be polite, be courteous, be respectful act professional and you will find it is a non-issue. Carry where you normally go, Safeway is a good start. Go shopping... no one will notice. If they do, smile, be polite and respectful answer questions. Know that Safeway follows state law.
    Live Free or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Seragoth View Post
    Just joined opencarry, found out about you guys from WaGuns.org
    I'm pretty new to all this. Someone asked on WaGuns if I OC'd and I had to laugh. For as much as I'd like to, I would undoubtedly be asking
    for trouble, and I'm not ready to go toe to toe with a bunch of above the law cops here. So I mentioned it to my dad to get his thoughts, a 25yr
    firefighter/paramedic for the city department...
    He just laughed and basically said good luck with that.

I've been CC'ing now since early January and even that
    took some getting use to, now it's becoming the norm, but I'd much rather OC... I'm just not ready for the war that would probably ensue.
    Unless I'm wrong and there are others here who have, I'd love to hear from you... and btw, gogodawg, loved your posts. Was hoping there
    was someone up here who had info on local stores and such.

I've lived in Anacortes since 1988 and not once seen an OC once, just to give you an idea.
    This is liberal town.
    Openly Carried in Anacortes on and off for many years (I lived in Skagit Co (1970-2005), first near Sedro, then later nearer Mt Vernon, before we retired to the Highlands 8 years ago). Never had a problem anywhere in Skagit Co. Actually, my first encounter with OC was in Sedro. Asked the guy, got informed, and started to OC (unlicensed) that day...that was back in 1970. OC'd unlicensed until 1994. Like I said, east side, west side, never had a problem.

Was at the Clear Lake boat launch last summer and ran into a Skagit Co Deputy checking boats...talked about guns for several minutes, he thought my CZ was nice looking. Never been asked for ID, CPL, or to disarm...ever, since 1970.
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
    Safeway's official policy is OC-neutral (defers to state law). IIRC I OC'd at the West Marine store down there once a while ago. OC in Burlington & Mt Vernon pretty frequently, never so much as a peep. And all the time down here in equally hippy-libby South Whidbey.

Remember, just KNOW the law, respect private property, keep your recorder handy, and don't talk to the police if contacted.
    Knowing all the RCW's is a bit daunting. Waguns helped me answer my first question on whether I had to CC in my vehicle or I could have it in the open. Now I'm seeing that despite the legality of carrying in any park in Washington, parks still have NO FIREARMS signs posted.

Any good suggestions on a recorder? I've seen a ton at bestbuy but I'd want to make sure it picked everything up. And I've also heard it's illegal to record voice or video... is this true?
    And you also mention not talking to the police if contacted... so if a/the cop(s) show up, you recommend not saying a word? I could potentially see that being very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by gogodawgs View Post
    Welcome to OCDO. Carry on just as you would if it is a phone case/leatherman on your hip. Be polite, be courteous, be respectful act professional and you will find it is a non-issue. Carry where you normally go, Safeway is a good start. Go shopping... no one will notice. If they do, smile, be polite and respectful answer questions. Know that Safeway follows state law.
    Thank you!

For OC I've been wanting to actually carry/holster on my leg. Is this out of the norm or would it make things worse? I'm tall and I have long arms and I've been thinking of going this route just
    based on comfort.

Thank you!

For OC I've been wanting to actually carry/holster on my leg. Is this out of the norm or would it make things worse? I'm tall and I have long arms and I've been thinking of going this route just
    based on comfort.
    It's legal, carry how you are comfortable. Be aware that a thigh rig will draw more attention.

As for talking to the police...

Live Free or Die!

Knowing all the RCW's is a bit daunting. Waguns helped me answer my first question on whether I had to CC in my vehicle or I could have it in the open. Now I'm seeing that despite the legality of carrying in any park in Washington, parks still have NO FIREARMS signs posted.

Any good suggestions on a recorder? I've seen a ton at bestbuy but I'd want to make sure it picked everything up. And I've also heard it's illegal to record voice or video... is this true?
    And you also mention not talking to the police if contacted... so if a/the cop(s) show up, you recommend not saying a word? I could potentially see that being very difficult.
    Parks are posted? Where? That is not the LAW. If you know where a park is posted, look up the law for that local governmental agency and see what their law states, if their law does not conform to RCW 9.41.300 you need to start work to change it so that it conforms to state law.

My experience with LE is they will normally not put you in a bind by asking for your ID or CPL. There are a few that might, but for the most part (this haas been my experience anyway) they do not even ask. I have NEVER been asked for my ID or CPL...in 43 years now. Just don't be a Nervous Nelly, act like it is no different to OC a pistol then it is to OC a cell phone (actually it is no different) and the vast majority of people will not even notice you are armed.

I've been thinking about trying one of these Looksie recorders.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=looksie
    To most people they look like bluetooth headsets and they are positioned in a good spot. I suggest getting a recorder than can sync with a smartphone and then use an app that will stream your content to a remote source and save it there, so even in worst-case scenario should a raging LEO take your equipment and break it or keep it you have it saved remotely.
    Last edited by Alpine; 02-21-2013 at 05:02 PM.

I've also heard it's illegal to record voice or video... is this true?
    Flora vs. State says that its legal to record a public official with or without their knowledge or consent. [Download Case]. Additionally, you can record anything that is not considered a 'private' conversation. RCW 9.73.030 is the related code to look up.

Here is a good youtube video about 'Never talk to the police', its long but worth the watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik
    Last edited by slapmonkay; 02-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

For OC I've been wanting to actually carry/holster on my leg. Is this out of the norm or would it make things worse?
    Thigh rigs are frowned upon by some, most say they are more provocative or confrontational and Anti's will call it an assault holster. However, carry whatever way you feel comfortable carrying, your not carrying for them you are for you.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    Parks are posted? Where? That is not the LAW. If you know where a park is posted, look up the law for that local governmental agency and see what their law states, if their law does not conform to RCW 9.41.300 you need to start work to change it so that it conforms to state law.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...d-County-parks

Knowing all the RCW's is a bit daunting.
    The primary RCW's to know are in chapter 9.41

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    The primary RCW's to know are in chapter 9.41
    Thank you for the links, very appreciated.

here anyone here OC'ing up in Skagit County, and more specifically, Anacortes?

My suggestion is to get a recorder with a USB port built in to it. Makes it easier to copy the files off to a computer. I bought one and stuffed a large memory card into it. I'd suggest using the on board storage , it's much faster. At least with mine it is. I bought a Sony, around $50.
    Too lazy to do a blog! Follow me on Twitter instead! @6ShotScott

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

It's obvious the Chief of Police and Skagit County Sherrif are not familiar with the firearms laws, but I would not let that keep you from open carrying, in fact, if anything it is more reason to open carry.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Thank you!

based on comfort.
    For a laugh about a thigh rig...One cold day last winter I saw a Tonasket city LEO wearing a coat, with a thigh rig. It did look funny...he was in uniform.

There is nothing illegal about a thigh rig, but comfort? In a vehicle I would think it would be very uncomfortable. I have a couple different pistols I carry. Now, I mostly carry a CZ85 (Full sized steel) in an Alessi Holster that holds the pistol fairly high, and very close to my body. In and out of the car, that is most definately the most comfortable setup I have every used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ cropped.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	10041
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-23-2013 at 12:43 PM.

MSG Laigaie and I open carried in the presence of the Anacortes Chief of Police and Skagit County Sherrif at a meeting of the Fidalgo democrats at the Anacortes Public Library a while back. No issues, no ask for ID or CPL, nothing. Most of the questions the democrats asked of the Chief of Police and Sherrif were re-directed by them to "the guys carrying the guns" because we knew the laws better than they did. One such question was why we were allowed to carry firearms in the library. I think it was the Chief of Police who said because there was no sign prohibiting it. I explained state preemption in RCW 9.41.290 and 9.41.300 and that it would be illegal for the local government to put up a sign at the library.

It's obvious the Chief of Police and Skagit County Sherrif are not familiar with the firearms laws, but I would not let that keep you from open carrying, in fact, if anything it is more reason to open carry.
    I really need to just print those out in full and read them, over and over.
    I find some of these RCW's difficult to understand... and it doesn't surprise me that you knew the laws better.
    I was afraid of this. I've still got an unanswered email from the county sheriff, going on about a month now concerning
    where he stands on the 2A and all the BS coming out of Washington and the likes.

The Skagit County Sheriff said during the meeting of the Fidalgo Democrats that if he were king for a day and got to make all the rules, that the rule he would make is that only Law Enforcement Officers would be allowed to carry firearms. I was there when he said it. Does that answer your question?
    Great. The one county I choose to live in he's one of them.
    I'm so sick of these ********.
    I was really hoping we had a good one.

So much for that.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    For a laugh about a thigh rig...One cold day last winter I saw a Tonasket city LEO wearing a coat, with a thigh rig. It did look funny...he was in uniform.

There is nothing illegal about a thigh rig, but comfort? In a vehicle I would think it would be very uncomfortable. I have a couple different pistols I carry. Now, I mostly carry a CZ85 (Full sized steel) in an Alessi Holster that holds the pistol fairly high, and very close to my body. In and out of the car, that is most definately the most comfortable setup I have every used.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ cropped.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	10041
    Thanks for the pic, currently looking at the alessi site now.
    I have an HK-P30, any rec's?

Why let his opinion affect you carrying a firearm?
    It's not that.
    In light of the many sheriff's all over the nation in the news concerning not enforcing the fed, and coming right
    out and saying that it's breaching the 2A, etc., I just had my hopes up that our sheriff was in the same boat... pro constitution and pro citizen.
    Alas, he is not, and it vexes me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast