• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newb to OC - Retention question

MaxPower

Greetings! Recently got into shooting again after about a 15 year hiatus. I found this site through Nevada Shooters, which I also just recently discovered.

I tried to find some threads about retention and I'm still a bit confused about how to responsibly open carry. Perhaps my search skills are diminishing with age.

My wife and I are taking our CCW class on Sunday, but I don't want to wait for my "permission slip" before I start carrying to protect myself and my family, so I want to start OC'ing. I'm about 60% of the way through the "Where did you carry..." thread and this has given me the confidence that I won't often get the "Everybody run, he's got a gun" reaction that I just assumed would happen. I also downloaded the brochure to print and carry with me.

I am and always have been pretty observant/situationally aware, watching the oblivious doing their thing, always surprised when I spot someone else aware of their surroundings.

I currently have an Uncle Mike's Reflex holster, http://www.unclemikes.com/holsters/reflex-holsters/reflex-holsters . It's an open-top holster with "Integrated Retention Technology". I have to rotate the grip of the gun into my body during the draw to release the retention. I can't pull it straight out without suffering death by wedgie. Is this sufficient to OC responsibly? Are there other things I should/need to learn about OC?

Thanks,

Nick

WalkingWolf

Check with your local martial arts schools, I am sure one of them gives classes on weapon retention. You can find plenty of tips, and youtube videos online but it is not the same as instruction by a expert.

Motofixxer

First of all welcome, there are no real requirements for OC other than obviously follow the local regulations. There are only opinions and recommendations. I personally prefer a level 2 retention such as my Safariland ALS series holster. For more info I have compiled a lengthy resource at http://tinyurl.com/OpenCarry-Wi there's lots of general info and excellent videos at the bottom.

Also for more general info on holsters and ammo etc check out http://tinyurl.com/New-To-Guns

MP_4_Life

First off, Welcome to the party friend. Hope your enjoying our time with us.

Now for retention... It's a issue many consider. I like retention myself, but I realized that rarely is retention does nothing but hinder people who need their weapons. The timing difference between a level 2-3 and a holster like the ones that come with Springfield XD(M)'s is just seconds (maybe fractions of a second), but if your not well trained with the holster, you could end up unable to draw in a hostile situation. A retention holster is mainly just to prevent someone else from taking your gun; however, if you train properly and are a observant type, then a level 2-3 should be worthless for you. Most level 2-3 retention holsters also cost a quite a bit of money, from your post, I get the feeling the open carry will be very temporary, so the cost doesn't justify it for a short time. If your planning to sometimes OC and sometimes CC, then the cost could be justified. As far as I've seen though, I haven't been able to find any CC holsters with level 2-3 retention. Lastly, something to consider is the comfort of a level 2-3 holster, most are very bulky and stick out from your hip compared to a simple hip holster.

Hope this helps. I honestly used to use Level 2-3 holsters, but after some time I realized they were ineffective for me (I never let anyone I don't know within arms reach). This is a very difficult item to consider, especially for someone with a family.

MaxPower

First off, Welcome to the party friend. Hope your enjoying our time with us.

Now for retention... It's a issue many consider. I like retention myself, but I realized that rarely is retention does nothing but hinder people who need their weapons. The timing difference between a level 2-3 and a holster like the ones that come with Springfield XD(M)'s is just seconds (maybe fractions of a second), but if your not well trained with the holster, you could end up unable to draw in a hostile situation. A retention holster is mainly just to prevent someone else from taking your gun; however, if you train properly and are a observant type, then a level 2-3 should be worthless for you. Most level 2-3 retention holsters also cost a quite a bit of money, from your post, I get the feeling the open carry will be very temporary, so the cost doesn't justify it for a short time. If your planning to sometimes OC and sometimes CC, then the cost could be justified. As far as I've seen though, I haven't been able to find any CC holsters with level 2-3 retention. Lastly, something to consider is the comfort of a level 2-3 holster, most are very bulky and stick out from your hip compared to a simple hip holster.

Hope this helps. I honestly used to use Level 2-3 holsters, but after some time I realized they were ineffective for me (I never let anyone I don't know within arms reach). This is a very difficult item to consider, especially for someone with a family.

Thanks to everyone for the responses and the welcomes. After learning a bit more about open carry, and reading through this forum a bit, I will probably actually open carry the majority of the time. I still want that CCW because sometimes the wind blows my shirt over my firearm, and I'm very, very afraid of jail.

I asked this question because someone attempting to grab my gun was a small concern in the back of my mind, especially somewhere I might need to, for example, wait in line with others being much closer to me than I would like. Based on your response, the holster I have should be good to go until it's in the budget to get a nice custom leather one made.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
You will carry your pistol for countless thousands of hours, you may never have to draw it. Thus, the first consideration is that the holster securely carry the pistol.

Your pistol will do you no good if someone else has taken it from you.

Practice will overcome any challenge that drawing may pose.

I like the Serpa, carried with a forward cant, so that the finger which releases it falls onto the frame of the pistol as it is drawn, rather than into the trigger guard. I wish that they made it to fit my EAA Witness.

28kfps

Welcome to OC Dot org. I also carry using a retention holster. I purchased one from Blade Tech. Not much of a selection for left-hander in the stores and I have a Crimson Trace laser installed. Blade Tech will custom mold their retention holster to fit most add on options. It works great and may be $20 more than a store bought Safariland.

The good news of all the posting of open carry I have not read one story of someone having their gun grabbed from their holster. Even though having ones firearm grabbed appears to be unlikely, I do like using and believe it is a good idea to use a retention holster.

We have had several meet ups some on the crowed Strip some down town at the Freemont Experience no issues no one had their firearm grabbed.