Thread: Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years in prison

Thumbs up Drew Peterson sentenced to 38 years in prison

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/justic...nce/index.html

I would like to know how bottom feeders like this make it into law enforcement.

Basically, life.--some people deserve to die, IMO.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by minarchist View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/21/justic...nce/index.html

I would like to know how bottom feeders like this make it into law enforcement.
    Because until he committed a crime and met the standards there was no reason he should have been barred. Or do you propose restricting people for what they might do in the future.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Because until he committed a crime and met the standards there was no reason he should have been barred. Or do you propose restricting people for what they might do in the future.
    Peterson is proof there is no psychological test for revealing homicidal maniac; I fail those tests, every time!

He ought not have been barred from owning firearms until found guilty...if he's that dangerous, he ought to not have received bail.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

I favor strict psychological screening for armed agents of the state. Do you?

The best CIA agents are sociopaths. Nothing against LEO's, nor military persons, but, normal people don't put their life on the line for 50k per year.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    The best CIA agents are sociopaths. Nothing against LEO's, nor military persons, but, normal people don't put their life on the line for 50k per year.
    There are professions that are more dangerous than law enforcement.

There are professions that are more dangerous than law enforcement.
    I agree.

They already do that, most depts use psychological testing, it does not work. The odd part is that dept that use testing based on intelligence have far less problems. People that score high on intelligence testing usually do not score high on psychological testing. But because of affirmative action they tend to use the latter.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

They already do that, most depts use psychological testing, it does not work. The odd part is that dept that use testing based on intelligence have far less problems. People that score high on intelligence testing usually do not score high on psychological testing. But because of affirmative action they tend to use the latter.
    Over my career I seen very good LEOs with a high school education and I seen piss poor ones bachelors degree.

And just the opposite it is more about the desire to be professional and do a good job that makes a good LEO.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    Over my career I seen very good LEOs with a high school education and I seen piss poor ones bachelors degree.

And just the opposite it is more about the desire to be professional and do a good job that makes a good LEO.
    I didn't mention education, you have lousy reading comprehension to say the least. I said intelligence, you know the thing that eludes wannabe lawyers.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

The problem with intelligent LEOs is that they think they know far more than what they really do know. Or, the know so much that is not so. Just as do our liberal friends.

Unfortunately, some unknown number of very intelligent cops make for the worst right abusers. Which seems to indicate that they are rights abusers by choice and not by some intellectual deficiency.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The problem with intelligent LEOs is that they think they know far more than what they really do know. Or, the know so much that is not so. Just as do our liberal friends.

Unfortunately, some unknown number of very intelligent cops make for the worst right abusers. Which seems to indicate that they are rights abusers by choice and not by some intellectual deficiency.
    I think the problem stems more from ego rather than intelligence or lack of with rights abusers. Some officers get past the ego adrenalin surg, some don't. Lately it seems the gov is doing all they can to encourage it.

It is not a problem solely to police officers, we see it with a lot of our public that think their authority is higher than what it actually is. There are wannabes in almost every aspect of life, such as wannabe cops, wannabe soldiers, wannabe lawyers. In most cases IMO these people are harmless annoyances, but in some cases such as Adam Lanza(wannabe soldier) they are dangerous.

IMO I don't think Peterson's homicidal activities had anything to do with being a cop, but rather some mental disorder.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 02-22-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

A cousin of mine is a deputy, how i do not know. He is a door knob in the smarts department, been that way ever since we were kids, but he is now one of the best cops I've ever met. He knows what he knows and if he don't know, he asks. Now is smarts the same as intelligent? And does education equate to increased intelligence? I am not the biggest brain in the room and will leave that subject for another citizen with a big brain.

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Does he have a lot of common sense that helps a whole lot.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Patriot View Post
    I firmly believe Peterson killed his wives.

However, if you actually watched the trial, there was basically NO evidence that he murdered his wife. In fact, Illinios had to change one of their hearsay laws simply for this trial.

His attorneys are going to appeal this case to the SCOTUS and I am pretty sure they will win.

It should frighten all people how easy it is to be convicted of murder when the only evidence is that you are a scumbag.
    IMO the evidence was lacking here also in our Peterson trial. He is getting a new trial, and I believe he is free on bond now. Part of the problem with the first trial was creative lab work, and creative testimony.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    IMO the evidence was lacking here also in our Peterson trial. He is getting a new trial, and I believe he is free on bond now. Part of the problem with the first trial was creative lab work, and creative testimony.
    Penn and Teller has an episode of Bullscat, on forensic science. Presumed Guilty is a great book that shows how often this evidence is faulty or made to look how prosecutors want it too.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    A cousin of mine is a deputy, how i do not know. He is a door knob in the smarts department, been that way ever since we were kids, but he is now one of the best cops I've ever met. He knows what he knows and if he don't know, he asks. Now is smarts the same as intelligent? And does education equate to increased intelligence? I am not the biggest brain in the room and will leave that subject for another citizen with a big brain.
    I don't think WalkingWolf is saying that "dull" people can't be good police officers. He is talking about statistical correlations, which really don't have anything to do with individual instances.