• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summerlin Parks

MaxPower

The information I'm finding about the Summerlin parks says they are owned, maintained and operated by The Summerlin Council. So my understanding based on this info that these parks are private property. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? There is one almost right across from my house and I'd like to OC there when we take our dogs for a walk, but I really don't want to be the test case for the county/city park stuff I've read about here on this forum.

The do have a sign listing everything prohibited in the park, of course firearms is on the list, but no statutes are referenced. If all they'll do is ask me to leave, then I'll take some of my walks there.

The Big Guy

The information I'm finding about the Summerlin parks says they are owned, maintained and operated by The Summerlin Council. So my understanding based on this info that these parks are private property. Can anyone confirm that this is correct? There is one almost right across from my house and I'd like to OC there when we take our dogs for a walk, but I really don't want to be the test case for the county/city park stuff I've read about here on this forum.

The do have a sign listing everything prohibited in the park, of course firearms is on the list, but no statutes are referenced. If all they'll do is ask me to leave, then I'll take some of my walks there.

Very interesting question. I always assumed it was part of LV. Here is what I found out about it.

TBG

Summerlin is a 22,500-acre (9,100 ha) affluent master-planned community under development by The Howard Hughes Corporation in the Las Vegas Valley of Nevada near the Spring Mountains and Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. It lies partially within the city limits of Las Vegas, Nevada, and in unincorporated Clark County. Summerlin, named for Howard Hughes’ grandmother, Jean Amelia Summerlin, ranked as the country’s best-selling master-planned community for more than a decade by Robert Charles Lesser & Co.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] and continues to rank among the top ten best-selling communities in the country some 19 years after development first began.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP] The community includes a variety of land uses, including: residential, commercial, recreational, educational, medical, open space, and cultural. As of November 2010, Summerlin's population was nearly 100,000.[SUP][citation needed][/SUP]

The Big Guy

An afterthought and just an opinion. If it is a township then it should/would come under state preemption. If it is private property then the most they could do is trespass you. In other words tell you to leave and have you arrested for trespass if you don't.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Is there any kind of paperwork (HOA style) involved in living in Summerlin?

The Big Guy

From what I can find out it looks to be private per below:
[h=2]More Details for Summerlin Council[/h]Summerlin Council in Las Vegas, NV is a private company categorized under Community Membership Club. Our records show it was established in 1995 and incorporated in Nevada. Register for free to see additional information such as annual revenue and employment figures.

I would guess Trespass to be the rule like any publically accessible private property. The sign would carry no weight in law. If someone in authority told you to leave like a manager or security, you would have to leave. I would wonder if even a Metro cop on his/her own initiative could boot you??

TBG

MaxPower

Is there any kind of paperwork (HOA style) involved in living in Summerlin?

I'm pretty sure there is, but we rent our house and never had to sign anything but our lease. The property owner pays the HOA fees and deals with anything else related to the association.

There's a rent-a-cop that drives around the park in a golf cart. Next time I see him I'll ask if the park is private property. Yes, I know not to rely on his answer, but the more evidence I can gather of it being private property, the better.

punisherprice

I'm pretty sure there is, but we rent our house and never had to sign anything but our lease. The property owner pays the HOA fees and deals with anything else related to the association.

There's a rent-a-cop that drives around the park in a golf cart. Next time I see him I'll ask if the park is private property. Yes, I know not to rely on his answer, but the more evidence I can gather of it being private property, the better.

I live right up the street from that park. I believe its called arbors park. Anyways ive carried through there and the pathway areas behind it...i always felt that the pathway areas at night are good ambush areas when people go jogging so i carry when my mother goes for a walk with the dog. Ive walked past the security guard in his cute golf cart and didnt say anything. I guarantee youll have the cops called on ya once a mother with her kids on the play area sees you. But its never stopped me before :banana:

The Big Guy

I live right up the street from that park. I believe its called arbors park. Anyways ive carried through there and the pathway areas behind it...i always felt that the pathway areas at night are good ambush areas when people go jogging so i carry when my mother goes for a walk with the dog. Ive walked past the security guard in his cute golf cart and didnt say anything. I guarantee youll have the cops called on ya once a mother with her kids on the play area sees you. But its never stopped me before :banana:

As it is obviously private, I can't see Metro being able to do anything about it. They certainly can't trespass you out of the park. It would be like them trespassing someone from your front yard. They could only do it with a complaint from the owner or his agent. If the park cop doesn't tell you to leave, not much can happen I would think.

TBG