• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is there anything we should do to help patriots stranded in NY?

drewf

Would it be prudent and possible for a group of patriots here in VA to create a startup business to safely inventory and store firearms in the banned categories from New Yorkers? I envision a secured site with the ability for clients to view their inventory remotely by webcam anytime. They have a full year to set up storage options, so I imagine its possible.

Not sure if it should be done, it's kind of a weasel way out. On the one hand I think I'd rather see them defy the law en mass and force legal confrontation, on the other hand I'd be heartbroken to hear that Albany was seizing and destroying historical firearms like SMLE's or early model Browning Hi Powers...opinions for discussion please.

Last edited:

stickslinger

Would it be prudent and possible for a group of patriots here in VA to create a startup business to safely inventory and store firearms in the banned categories from New Yorkers? I envision a secured site with the ability for clients to view their inventory remotely by webcam anytime. They have a full year to set up storage options, so I imagine its possible.

Not sure if it should be done, it's kind of a weasel way out. On the one hand I think I'd rather see them defy the law en mass and force legal confrontation, on the other hand I'd be heartbroken to hear that Albany was seizing and destroying historical firearms like SMLE's or early model Browning Hi Powers...opinions for discussion please.

Suggest moving out of that State is my opinion.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have a boat that regularly goes out to the deep spots in the Chicahominy Swamp. Very stable and smooth ride unless overloaded, in which case it tends to turn turtle. But that's OK because it is self-righting and self-bailing. Most folks wear a drysuit regardless of the season - just in case. As "captain" of the craft I try to be less authoritarian than Capt. Bligh or Capt. Queeg - I'll usually give a few warnings about the dangers of horseplay before threatening to throw anybody overboard.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Suggest moving out of that State is my opinion.

NOT SOUTH!

Smurfs_Color_Pictures_Stop_Sign_Smurf.jpg

Last edited:

TFred

This idea had crossed my mind as well. Maybe if you found a bank that was closing a branch down, you could rent their vault space. Seems the biggest concern would be the security of the storage, both while unattended, AND while you were working there. I wouldn't want to be on the hook for hundreds of firearms if they turned up stolen. It would be a very tempting target.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
An unattended high-value warehouse :confused::eek:

Are you nuckin' futs? And how are you going to deal with geting the permits needed?

Something that makes a bonded Customs warehouse look like a kids' game. Roving and stationary armed patrols inside and out. No "off-duty" cops. Long rows of gun racks Pay extra for an armorer to field strip, clean, and lubricate every 6 months.

IIRC we projected costs on that a while back - it came out to "not cheap" - actually more like "not inexpensive". Cost pere unit goes down the more total units being stored but it still is going to have to be quite a big box outfit to come under $1xx per month per unit.

stay safe.

bob888

I would be VERY interested in such a venture. Although my knowledge rests in the domain of computer security, maybe I can help out in coming up with a preliminary business plan...

An unattended high-value warehouse :confused::eek:

Are you nuckin' futs? And how are you going to deal with geting the permits needed?

Something that makes a bonded Customs warehouse look like a kids' game. Roving and stationary armed patrols inside and out. No "off-duty" cops. Long rows of gun racks Pay extra for an armorer to field strip, clean, and lubricate every 6 months.

IIRC we projected costs on that a while back - it came out to "not cheap" - actually more like "not inexpensive". Cost pere unit goes down the more total units being stored but it still is going to have to be quite a big box outfit to come under $1xx per month per unit.

stay safe.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to let me have a look at your plans? I am interested in seeing what you came up with. :)

TFred

This would be a cool way to do it... Have the Governor set aside some space inside a secure National Guard facility. Contract it out at no cost to the State to take care of the details.

Sort of a nice way for Virginia to remind New Yorkers of what it means to be free.

(I know this could probably never really work... but it's an amusing idea to consider.)

TFred

Last edited:

drewf

simpler storage solution

You could have a facility that just stored their stripped AR lowers, polymer pistol lowers and magazines, no barrels, strikers or receivers. That would account for most of the volume. No functional weapons.

Last edited:

TFred

You could have a facility that just stored their stripped AR lowers, polymer pistol lowers and magazines, no barrels, strikers or receivers. That would account for most of the volume. No functional weapons.
These are people who consider possession of a magazine to be a felony. Somehow, I don't think they would consider this solution acceptable.

TFred

stickslinger

And the barrels with removable flash hiders? e.g. Threaded barrels? And the bayonet lugged ones? You've just asked folks to have you store their entire weapon in a sense if you include those potentially banned items as well.

SaltH2OHokie

NOT SOUTH!

Smurfs_Color_Pictures_Stop_Sign_Smurf.jpg

What if we did a "one in, one out" policy? My in-laws live in Portmouth, view the fact that their daughter lives with guns around the house and actually enjoys shooting in her backyard as just CRAZY. The kicker: They're from NY. We bring 2 scary black rifle owners down from NY and I send the in-laws back UP. It's a WIN-WIN!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
What if we did a "one in, one out" policy? My in-laws live in Portmouth, view the fact that their daughter lives with guns around the house and actually enjoys shooting in her backyard as just CRAZY. The kicker: They're from NY. We bring 2 scary black rifle owners down from NY and I send the in-laws back UP. It's a WIN-WIN!

Sounds fair to me!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I would be VERY interested in such a venture. Although my knowledge rests in the domain of computer security, maybe I can help out in coming up with a preliminary business plan...

I don't suppose you'd be willing to let me have a look at your plans? I am interested in seeing what you came up with. :)

Sure. Just sign this non-compete agreement.

stay safe.

bob888

Sure. Just sign this non-compete agreement.

stay safe.

Sorry to ask you a "if you got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear" type of question, but...why would you need a non-compete if you're not going to capitalize on it anyhow?

davidmcbeth

Banned
These are people who consider possession of a magazine to be a felony. Somehow, I don't think they would consider this solution acceptable.

TFred

That guy will push that stupid law until it is dead in the courts ... man, they don't even want you to have "Sportsman Magazines" because they have pictures of evil guns on their cover.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry to ask you a "if you got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear" type of question, but...why would you need a non-compete if you're not going to capitalize on it anyhow?

1 - Who says I'm not going to?

2 - Even if I don't, I value my thoughts and put a price on them. Sometimes that price involves the exchange of Federal Reserve Notes - especially if someone else stands to make money using my thoughts. TANSTAAFL, but sometimes I do pass around a tray of snacks to let people sample the wares.

stay safe.

bob888

2 - Even if I don't, I value my thoughts and put a price on them. Sometimes that price involves the exchange of Federal Reserve Notes - especially if someone else stands to make money using my thoughts. TANSTAAFL, but sometimes I do pass around a tray of snacks to let people sample the wares.
stay safe.

Okay, I understand. As for the greenbacks, would you consider sharing your ideas in consideration for a reasonable (i.e. 50%) equity of the results? Even if you want to be a silent partner... :)