• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are you mentally ill?

sudden valley gunner

To be honest I believe that the Federal gov is doing two things, hoarding, like many other people are doing. And spending as much money as they can get away with, before the people of this country have had enough and the money tree is finally cut down, then they will not be able to buy any ammo, hence hoarding.

^This makes sense.

Maybe we'll see a t.v. show of Government Preppers-after the financial collapse.

nonameisgood

Democide

The prices we are paying for them to buy ammo are not available publicly (a problem in itself), but there is no fundamental reason FMJ is more expensive than JHP. Same amount if lead and copper and essentially the same manufacturing processes. Therefore, I doubt we are paying a premium to buy only JHP. Just because we are foolish enough to do it...

eye95

I can't make any sense of this thread at all. The posts just don't follow from the OP.

For some reason, after it was first posted, maybe the original title, I decided that reading it would not be worthwhile. So I haven't been. Apparently it has had some evolutions (including a title change) that are inexplicable--unless one had been following it all along.

Anyway, because of the title change, and not knowing that it was a thread I had decided not to read, I started reading it. By the third and fourth post, I was totally confused. I scanned the rest, but found no clues as to what ties this thread together.

I dunno. Maybe I am mentally ill. Here. Take my gun. Please.

Aknazer

So you're approaching the "cheaper" angle wrong. It's not exactly "cheaper" to only have one contract. Its because they have no limit to their funding (remember politicians see money as unlimited) that they chose to stock the same ammo to carry and practice with. That's not unusual. Being in the military, did you practice with a different type of ammo from what you expected to carry in the field? How do you compensate for the different ballistics of the less expensive practice ammo vs the real stuff you were issued in combat?

Actually at my home base range we practice with more expensive rounds as we have to use frangible rounds at home as our range can't handle the standard FMJ stuff. Given the budget constraints we only shoot within 90 days of deployment, 90 days prior to PCSing to select locations, or ~once every 6 months for select career fields (like security forces). The shooting consists of 90 rounds of 9mm, or ~200 of 5.56 ammo.

As for "different ballistics" we're shooting on a 25m range but fire only a limited number of rounds at the max range of 25m so I doubt that the difference in ballistics are going to be noticable at the ranges we're shooting. Also unless there's something I'm missing the felt recoil is a component of the force and weight of the bullet. So if the bullet is lighter you use more powder, or if it's a heavier bullet you use less powder in order to equal the same recoil of the duty round.

mobiushky

Actually at my home base range we practice with more expensive rounds as we have to use frangible rounds at home as our range can't handle the standard FMJ stuff. Given the budget constraints we only shoot within 90 days of deployment, 90 days prior to PCSing to select locations, or ~once every 6 months for select career fields (like security forces). The shooting consists of 90 rounds of 9mm, or ~200 of 5.56 ammo.

As for "different ballistics" we're shooting on a 25m range but fire only a limited number of rounds at the max range of 25m so I doubt that the difference in ballistics are going to be noticable at the ranges we're shooting. Also unless there's something I'm missing the felt recoil is a component of the force and weight of the bullet. So if the bullet is lighter you use more powder, or if it's a heavier bullet you use less powder in order to equal the same recoil of the duty round.

I get the concept of hand loading mixes to equate to duty loads. Can't remember which manufacturer it was, but one of them actually has a duty round and a practice round that are designed to be the same when shooting. BUT, even with that, if you have literally unlimited funding. Like you have truly infinite money, why bother with it? That's the mind set in the government right now. Who cares what costs more? We have unlimited funding from the slaves that work for us.

I'm not arguing that it can't be done. I'm arguing that they do it because it's good practice and money is no object.

Not that it's right. Cause we should be a more efficient and less expensive government, but with the current batch in the White House that ain't gonna happen. Bigger, more expensive, more intrusive. That's how they want it.