Thread: Im thinking...Glock 19?

Im thinking...Glock 19?

Well i have almost decided on a Glock 19. I got to handle one recently and dug it. This will be the first handgun that i will be using and practicing alot with, as well as being my open carry weapon. (Had handguns before, but in Maryland. Thats all ill say )

I am wondering tho, what's the going rate on a used 19? What should i expect to pay these days? The ones I'm seeing used seem a bit high as compared to retail, and prices as of 6 months ago. Is this due to all the crap going on? I want to buy one privately, locally.

With that being said, if a 19 isn't an option, what else could i look at in a relatively popular 9mm, near the size of a 19, and has holsters and magazines readily available? Also near the 19 price range. I would love to try a Caracal F but i cant find any and magazines and holsters seem to be an issue.

Thanks guys!

I certainly can't fault the Glock 19. Mine is a Gen 2, and I purchased it used, but had the slide refinished at the same time. It is one of the most popular handguns during this time of high demand, so no, you will not find any great deals. It is probably the most popular Glock model.

You aren't going to find much better deals on anything comparable, either. But you can look at the Springfield Armory XD. The XD(m) will be the more expensive version, so there are some deals on the original XD series to be had. It has a different grip angle, more similar to the venerable 1911, but you might like it.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    A Glock 19 is an excellent choice and is Glock's most popular handgun. You can't go wrong with this one. Other good choices in the same vein would be Smith and Wesson M&P's and Springfield XD's to name two companies. Their design is similar to that of Glock's and their offerings are very good as well. But the sheer simplicity and reliability of the Glock is legendary and hard to beat.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Thumbs up Good choice

Some older Glocks (Gen 2) can be found in retail shops that are "factory refurbished". These are trade ins often from police departments that are resold as factory warranteed guns. I have a couple, but have never purchased one new. They come with the same accessories. (usually with 2 magazines)

The Glock 17 is also sometimes found like the re-furbished G19s. Their "packages" usually have an extra magazine (3 total) as do the current new-in-box guns.

Otherwise, if you have found one with a good price and like the feel, you really can't go wrong. The used guns hold their values well... but the PD trade-ins seem to be at a discount... if you can find one. Maybe you could call around and ask dealers if they have any factory Gen2 trade ins.
    Last edited by Seattleite; 02-22-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spell check

Regular Member self preservation's Avatar
    I'm a Glock 23 (Gen 3) man myself. But you can't go wrong with a 19 either.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Edmund Burke

self-pres·er·va·tion (slfprzr-vshn)
    n.
    1. Protection of oneself from harm or destruction.
    2. The instinct for individual preservation; the innate desire to stay alive.

From everything I have heard a Glock is a excellent gun. As far as cost you will find wide differences in price where you shop, so shop around.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Im thinking...Glock 19?

You'll never go wrong with the G19.
    Chance favors only the prepared mind.

Louis Pasteur

Don't expect to find any amazing deals, you can sometimes find LE trade in's for less because they buy them for less, but overall glocks hold their value very well.

Thanks for the replys guys! I think the 19 will do me just fine. The ole lady is expressing alot of interest in getting some training and possibly carrying too which is awesome! So i think the 19 will suit her OK as well if she ever had to use it. And i think she will be able to handle it capably.

Ive been studying and doing my home work for a couple months now before considering carrying. I will also be purchasing a quality retention holster. One of my vintage hearses may be finding a new home soon so i may have a few spare dollars which will be nice so i can get everything i need. And put some away for a florida vacation in may! Lookin to do some riding and shooting with my dad down there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    A Glock 19 is an excellent choice and is Glock's most popular handgun. You can't go wrong with this one. Other good choices in the same vein would be Smith and Wesson M&P's and Springfield XD's to name two companies. Their design is similar to that of Glock's and their offerings are very good as well. But the sheer simplicity and reliability of the Glock is legendary and hard to beat.
    I'd pick up the Springfield out of all those listed ... its a sweet gun .. all good choices (although I'm not a big fan of Glocks)

I have a G-26. Originally, I was gong to get a G-19, but opted for the G-26, because I thought it would be more concealable. Wrong!, IMO, of course. I'm trading it in.

Go with the G-19...it's light, it's durable, and you can get a conversion kit for it...22 all day shooting, for fifteen bucks!
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post

Go with the G-19...it's light, it's durable, and you can get a conversion kit for it...22 all day shooting, for fifteen bucks!
    Thats an excellent point! My buddy has 2 glocks. He was telling me about the .22 conversion. I think he said it was kinda pricey, but it keeps the weapon the same weight, which is great, and allows you to shoot .22 rounds which as you said is much cheaper. And great fun for plinking around!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    I carry the g19 daily, great gun. I didn't wanna buy it because my only association with Glocks was that Cops and Gangbangers like them and I didn't want to be associated with either.... .

I thought about getting the .22 conversion kit but decided, if I wanna shoot .22 I'll just shoot my .22's, when I practice with the Glock I want to practice with the caliber I would need in a SHTF scenario.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Don't pay more than $400 used with mags. You can get a new one with 3 mags for $425 by joining GSSF.

Quote Originally Posted by HearseGuy View Post
    Thanks for the replys guys! I think the 19 will do me just fine. The ole lady is expressing alot of interest in getting some training and possibly carrying too which is awesome! So i think the 19 will suit her OK as well if she ever had to use it. And i think she will be able to handle it capably.

Ive been studying and doing my home work for a couple months now before considering carrying. I will also be purchasing a quality retention holster. One of my vintage hearses may be finding a new home soon so i may have a few spare dollars which will be nice so i can get everything i need. And put some away for a florida vacation in may! Lookin to do some riding and shooting with my dad down there.
    My EDC, G19. Wife's EDC, G26. She prefers the G19 for how it feels, but she CC's only and the G19 is a little on the large side for her frame. G26 conceals better. That said, either one works. But if you only plan to OC, G19.

Not to offend YardSale, but joining GSSF is great if you are ok waiting for a year. You have to be in GSSF for a year before you can buy at that price. Membership is $35. BUT, if you have a year to wait it's the best deal you'll find. Although why join a shooting competition and not compete?

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    I carry the g19 daily, great gun. I didn't wanna buy it because my only association with Glocks was that Cops and Gangbangers like them and I didn't want to be associated with either.... .

I thought about getting the .22 conversion kit but decided, if I wanna shoot .22 I'll just shoot my .22's, when I practice with the Glock I want to practice with the caliber I would need in a SHTF scenario.
    *jump-off*

If you practice on a conversion kit...I recommend you still send a couple of magazines worth of your carry caliber, after each range visit.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Well i ended up with Gen 4 17.

Might still keep lookin for a 19. 17 feels good tho. Might keep it we'll see.
    Additional text for your reading pleasure...

How'd that happen?

The G17 is also a fine piece and was the first Glock introduced for use and sale in the U.S. I also have one in the gen3 (all of my Glocks are gen3's). I helped a neighbor friend buy a gen4 last fall. It was his first semi-auto centerfire pistol and he was just new to all of this. He has rifles and a small revolver but nothing in semi-auto.

Keep your G17 and try to locate a G19, preferably a gen3. I believe pretty much all of the kinks have been worked out of the gen4's, but the gen3's still seem to be the ones to have (some like even earlier iterations).

Let us know what you think of your new purchase after taking it to the range.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Nice. I've actually been thinking about a G17 for myself for OC. But if I spent the money right now, I'd probably end up with another G19 first. But I'd like to get a 17 at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    Nice. I've actually been thinking about a G17 for myself for OC. But if I spent the money right now, I'd probably end up with another G19 first. But I'd like to get a 17 at some point.
    My G19 is a third gen that I've put well over 50k rounds through. Great pistol, with not a single malfunction in all of those rounds fired.

I strongly recommend anyone considering a G17, to try a longslide G34 first. I love my G34, and it is a unbelievably accurate at extreme range (50-100 yards), let alone "normal" shooting distances. Great pistol for OC!
    Let a man never stir on his road a step without his weapons of war; for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without. -Hávamál 38

Pre-Panic: $400-$450, depending upon condition and night sights

The G17 and G19 are both great firearms. However, if you have the 17 you really shouldn't need the 19 that badly. So instead of putting time and effort into finding a G19 that replicates what you already have try and get a G17 Sub-2000. They use the same magazines (thus why it is a "G17" sub2k) and once the panic ends you should be able to get a new one for about $200 less than a G19 ($300-$350). Most importantly though, they are a lot of fun. The fun aspect is hard to explain. Just suffice it to say I have never heard of anyone who bought one that didn't come back from their first time at the range with it who didn't say that it was one of the funnest guns they ever shot. Personally, it is easily my favorite to shoot and I have a bunch of other guns that other people generally consider quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by arentol View Post
    The G17 and G19 are both great firearms. However, if you have the 17 you really shouldn't need the 19 that badly. So instead of putting time and effort into finding a G19 that replicates what you already have try and get a G17 Sub-2000. They use the same magazines (thus why it is a "G17" sub2k) and once the panic ends you should be able to get a new one for about $200 less than a G19 ($300-$350). Most importantly though, they are a lot of fun. The fun aspect is hard to explain. Just suffice it to say I have never heard of anyone who bought one that didn't come back from their first time at the range with it who didn't say that it was one of the funnest guns they ever shot. Personally, it is easily my favorite to shoot and I have a bunch of other guns that other people generally consider quite fun.
    The best feature of the Sub 2000 is its utility. It's a fold up rifle which makes it very practical and easy to have in your trunk or just about anywhere. It's real downside is the fact that its blow back design does not allow the bolt to remain open after the last round has been fired. But it is a fun little rifle to own and shoot.

America First!

Love my Gen4 Glock 19. Have 1,200ish rounds through it since January. No hiccups/FTF/FTE's of any kind. Goes "bang" every time I pull the trigger. You can't really go wrong with a Glock 19.