• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi everyone!

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I thought it was only trespassing if you refused to leave after having been asked, regardless of any signage?

A "No Guns" by itself isn't the same as a "No Trespassing" sign. The person in charge, or his designee, must first ask you to leave the premises. If you fail to do so, then you may be subject to a charge of trespass. Be careful here, though. Very often you'll be told "You can't have that in here.", or words to that effect. Not quite the same as being told to leave the premises, but don't press the issue. (Sometimes, they'll ask you to conceal your firearm. If you have a CHP, then comply.) The idea is to avoid a confrontation. Ask the individual for his/her name and title, then write a letter to management later.

That's why I said.

"What could happen is that you open yourself up to a charge of trespassing if the owner or manager wishes to press charges."

If the owner/manager does not wish to press charges, then you are not going to be charged with trespassing. If he does, and naturally he would have asked/told you to leave, then guess what... you're going to be charged.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
That's why I said.

"What could happen is that you open yourself up to a charge of trespassing if the owner or manager wishes to press charges."

If the owner/manager does not wish to press charges, then you are not going to be charged with trespassing. If he does, and naturally he would have asked/told you to leave, then guess what... you're going to be charged.

I'll be honest, I've never seen an OC'er arrested for trespassing for just ignoring the sign. I believe it can be done though. The problems with Solicitors or anything forbidden in writing, has been with city PD's that have been given authorization to act as the owners agent on a piece of property.

That's a fairly common thing in Cities and Burb Counties.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I'll be honest, I've never seen an OC'er arrested for trespassing for just ignoring the sign. I believe it can be done though. The problems with Solicitors or anything forbidden in writing, has been with city PD's that have been given authorization to act as the owners agent on a piece of property.

That's a fairly common thing in Cities and Burb Counties.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I don't go looking for signs and if I don't see them, well... they're not there. I suppose if what you wrote here was the case in some business or shopping center, I could be in for a big surprise.

Last edited:

va_tazdad

Welcome aboard

Hello! Im a new member and relatively (<1yr.) new gun owner (Sig Sauer SigPRO 9mm). I plan to start to OC tomorrow, as Ive been unaware I could do that. I equated carrying of any kind to having the CHP. Anyway, here's my question:

I am currently in the process of opening a restaurant/bar in RVA and cant seem to find anything about the laws pertaining to business owners carrying a firearm, restaurants specifically. I know, as a citizen, you cant carry in a place that has a liquor license. So here lies my predicament. Any info is greatly appreciated.

- Johnny

The others have addressed the carry issue, but I would like to know what type of restaurant, the location, and if it will be 2A friendly?

I am always looking for a good place to take Gr8legs,the wife/boss.

AtackDuck

Hold your own event!

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated. I'll definitely try to make it to one of the events in the near future. Although with opening a restaurant, free time is always a luxury I don't often have. Cheers.

- Johnny

Host an OC Lunch/Dinner at your place and post it on here! You should get all kinds of characters ready to find out how good a chef you are!