• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah state trooper accused of making bogus DUI arrests

OC for ME

Very wrongly in this case.

Now I believe it's necessary that cops be given more leeway, anyone who thinks otherwise is not living in reality land, the reality is that police work an unpredictable job and constitutional violations are rarely clear cut, courts rule conflicting things all the time, you can have a judge who will rule everything a cop does constitutional on one extreme, and another who receives birthday cards from the ACLU on the other extreme.
Cops, in order to properly do the job that the majority of the public expects them to do, need reasonable leeway for actions made to protect the public in good faith.

<snip> in my humble opinion that is.
Thanks for the state employed jack-booted thug view. The problem with "your reality" is that it is manufactured by the state. By accepting their reality, you give legitimacy to their false premise. Citizen provided the reality contained within the law. Your extralegal reality is rejected.

US v. Black (in a different OCDO thread) is another example of cops getting thrashed for espousing a false reality that you too espouse.

Citizen.....what can one say, but bravo, bravo!!!

Yard Sale

The fact she was a cop didn't give her immunity from prosecution for false arrest, kidnapping, filing false reports, malicious prosecution, etc. She got qualified immunity for acting in good faith in the performance of her duties.

Back to the question at hand: Why isn't she being prosecuted? I'll tell you ... because by prosecuting the trooper, the state would be admitting liability in the tort actions of her victims. FOLLOW THE MONEY! It's always about the money.

EMNofSeattle

Yep Citizens post was great!

EMN remember the constitution applies to government this includes cops. They are by necessity to have less leeway.

By whose necessity?

Basically what citizen is saying is that we need to overapply an old piece of case law that has nothing to do with police action by the government, the case he cited involved a private company what wanted to sugically examine a woman who claimed to suffer crippling injury as a result of the railroad company using a faulty railroad car that collapsed on her. it had nothing to do with a search on the side of the road or serving a warrant or making an arrest, which is getting OT anyway.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Oh, they're pretty clear cut. Its only fuzzy if one ignores a few sentences from Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford. "No right is held more sacred or more carefully guarded by the common law than the right of all individuals to the possession and control of their own persons. Free from all restraint and interference unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law."

A cop only has to know one thing: does he have clear and unquestionable authority of law to act? If he has any doubt, any uncertainty, then he cannot possibly know whether he is acting within the law or violating someone's rights. He must know to a complete moral certainty that he has clear and unquestionable authority of law to take whatever action he is contemplating. This knocks out vast swaths of cute police tactics to stretch the case law.
--snipped for brevity--
Thank you for this^^^^
Very good,, all the right words,, in the right order.
Yep Citizens post was great!
EMN remember the constitution applies to government this includes cops. They are by necessity to have less leeway.

Giving credit where it is due. Well said.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
By whose necessity?

Basically what citizen is saying is that we need to overapply an old piece of case law that has nothing to do with police action by the government, the case he cited involved a private company what wanted to sugically examine a woman who claimed to suffer crippling injury as a result of the railroad company using a faulty railroad car that collapsed on her. it had nothing to do with a search on the side of the road or serving a warrant or making an arrest, which is getting OT anyway.

My, my fellas. Such an articulate and laser-focused rebuttal.

Lets start with having a surgeon examine the woman. He got that part right, but he completely overlooks the fact that in order to examine her against her will, the government must seize her temporarily. The court's whole point was that the government had no authority to compel the woman to submit to such an examination, so it wasn't going to order it.

And, according to him, Botsford is an old piece of case law. So, lets get rid of Bushell's case c. 1670--its even older and there is no point in protecting jurors from punishment for their decisions. And, lets get rid of John Lilburne's cases--they're even older and we all know that if you have nothing to hide, you don't need a right against self-incrimination. In fact, lets get rid of some of Edward Coke's decisions from the late 1500's and early 1600's, especially the one's that carried forward expressly in our common law by virtue of being slightly older than the first colony here. Hell, the whole Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment are pretty old--lets just scrap them. Shoot, while we're at it, lets get rid of the fundamental principle of Magna Carta--its really, really old--that the king and his government are themselves subject to the law and restricted by the law. If you look close, that's really what EMN is saying with his "more leeway" comments--the government should not be restricted by the law anywhere he wants "leeway." He's really saying cops should have leeway to make it up as they go along.

And, he seems to have overlooked that the principle underlying this "old" case is the exact principle quoted in Terry v Ohio. And, the Terry court themselves made the very mistake he's accusing me of: applying a case about a private company to police action and criminal law. My, my. One does wonder if he thinks through on his arguments before banging them out on his keyboard.

EMN wrote, "Now I believe it's nessecary that cops be given more leeway, anyone who thinks otherwise is not living in reality land..." Notice that rather than explain why cops need more leeway, he just heaves in a pre-emptive ad hominem attack.

EMN wrote, "Cops, in order to properly do the job that the majority of the public expects them to do, need reasonable leeway for actions made to protect the public in good faith." Ahhhh. "The majority of the public", rather than, say, the constitutional authority granted police as limited by the constitutional restrictions (rights) placed upon them. Yep. Your rights and mine, gentle reader, are subject to whatever the majority of the public expect from police. You can just scrap the whole idea that rights are necessary in a democratic republic specifically to prevent the majority from oppressing the minority--in this case the minority (according to him) who don't appreciate being temporarily seized, and when done illegally have huge hurdles to overcome in seeking redress.

And, if it was getting off-topic, as he says, why did he reply? As in, its too obvious he was just trying to shut down discussion without articulating reasoned counter-arguments.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. And, he was coming along so well these last few months. (sigh)

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Very wrongly in this case.

Cops, in order to properly do the job that the majority of the public expects them to do, need reasonable leeway for actions made to protect the public in good faith.

HOWEVER

I just ran into a cop who demanded I answer a set of questions before I could enter my state capitol bldg to attend a public meeting for my legislature...I complained all the way to the top & the top guy said "yes, we can demand you answer questions to enter the bldg, even when we do not suspect you of having anything dangerous or hazardous or vile or ...

I refused to answer his questions and was told to leave. So this had 1 cop, his chief, and an administrative manager all saying "its OK if we ignore your 5th and 4th amendment rights".

EMNofSeattle

My, my fellas. Such an articulate and laser-focused rebuttal.

Lets start with having a surgeon examine the woman. He got that part right, but he completely overlooks the fact that in order to examine her against her will, the government must seize her temporarily. The court's whole point was that the government had no authority to compel the woman to submit to such an examination, so it wasn't going to order it.

I'm also guessing that the woman had evidence of a crime revealable by surgery and probable cause to suspect it's there they could've ordered a warrant to conduct the surgery. So it's still not even comparable. the defendant wanted the court to open her up so they could possibly find evidence to aid them in a civil trial regarding their own negligence.

And, according to him, Botsford is an old piece of case law. So, lets get rid of Bushell's case c. 1670--its even older and there is no point in protecting jurors from punishment for their decisions. And, lets get rid of John Lilburne's cases--they're even older and we all know that if you have nothing to hide, you don't need a right against self-incrimination.

Older case law that's been in effect Overturned is what I believe I said.

In fact, lets get rid of some of Edward Coke's decisions from the late 1500's and early 1600's, especially the one's that carried forward expressly in our common law by virtue of being slightly older than the first colony here. Hell, the whole Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment are pretty old--lets just scrap them.

Again, you're taking out of context what I said

Shoot, while we're at it, lets get rid of the fundamental principle of Magna Carta--its really, really old--that the king and his government are themselves subject to the law and restricted by the law. If you look close, that's really what EMN is saying with his "more leeway" comments--the government should not be restricted by the law anywhere he wants "leeway." He's really saying cops should have leeway to make it up as they go along.

I'm saying the police should have more leeway in conducting good faith investigations. more leeway means a police officer shouldn't be thrown in jail and personally sued if they make a search that seemed reasonable to them only to have it thrown later. or to be personally bankrupted if they have to shoot someone to defend themselves and the shootee's gangbanger family decides to play the courtroom lottery. the police give you and every other citizen leeway all the time. in most states you can be arrested and dragged before a magistrate for going 1 mph over the speed limit. how many people does that happen too? apparently what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

And, he seems to have overlooked that the principle underlying this "old" case is the exact principle quoted in Terry v Ohio. And, the Terry court themselves made the very mistake he's accusing me of: applying a case about a private company to police action and criminal law. My, my. One does wonder if he thinks through on his arguments before banging them out on his keyboard.

They also decided that a police stop for investigative detention is not in violation of your rights and thus has the unquestioning authority of law. you claim that the "terry court" reaffirmed a principle of absolute privacy, and in the same argument claim they were wrong and started confusing case law contradictory to that principle.

EMN wrote, "Now I believe it's nessecary that cops be given more leeway, anyone who thinks otherwise is not living in reality land..." Notice that rather than explain why cops need more leeway, he just heaves in a pre-emptive ad hominem attack.

take it how you will

EMN wrote, "Cops, in order to properly do the job that the majority of the public expects them to do, need reasonable leeway for actions made to protect the public in good faith." Ahhhh. "The majority of the public", rather than, say, the constitutional authority granted police as limited by the constitutional restrictions (rights) placed upon them.

which brings us back to the nature of what I said to start with, that your "rights" are in the hands of whatever judge is reading the motions. I've seen near identical motions ruled on different ways by different judges. you can't possibly expect to hold officers "accountable" when actions fall within the grey area of a judges discretion.

Yep. Your rights and mine, gentle reader, are subject to whatever the majority of the public expect from police. You can just scrap the whole idea that rights are necessary in a democratic republic specifically to prevent the majority from oppressing the minority--in this case the minority (according to him) who don't appreciate being temporarily seized, and when done illegally have huge hurdles to overcome in seeking redress.

to the contrare, our system protects the minorities to an insane degree. how many people agree with corn subsidies? now how much money is given in corn subsidies. point made. Gun owners in many extreme liberal states are the minority, and our system is working incredibly well to ward off new gun laws. on a macro-level the rights of the minorities are well respected. on a micro level people want the police to be able to talk to people who look suspicious or hold them if it is reasonable to conclude they are or are about to commit a crime. on the micro level criminal acts happen quickly and going down to court house to get a signed warrant from a magistrate would not be practical. and if the police are not able to practically enforce the law, then armed vigilantes will do it themselves, and they won't give a flying hoot about "your rights". if you think police action is scary and a threat to your "Rights" just wait until "we the people" have to do it ourselves...

And, if it was getting off-topic, as he says, why did he reply? As in, its too obvious he was just trying to shut down discussion without articulating reasoned counter-arguments.

you know what? why not? I haven't had a good anti-libertarian debate in so long.... lets go at it till the mods shut it down!

Tsk, tsk, tsk. And, he was coming along so well these last few months. (sigh)

No i've just been trying to avoid trouble the last few months....

EMNofSeattle

I just ran into a cop who demanded I answer a set of questions before I could enter my state capitol bldg to attend a public meeting for my legislature...I complained all the way to the top & the top guy said "yes, we can demand you answer questions to enter the bldg, even when we do not suspect you of having anything dangerous or hazardous or vile or ...

I refused to answer his questions and was told to leave. So this had 1 cop, his chief, and an administrative manager all saying "its OK if we ignore your 5th and 4th amendment rights".

and exactly which state capitol would this be?

sudden valley gunner

By whose necessity?

Eric, you need to learn to look at both sides of the coin.

I can ask the question right back, By whose necessity? Do the cops need to have "leeway".?

I say it is the necessity of a free people to have a constitutionally restrained government including their street enforcers. Officers should not have the leeway to break the laws that protect our liberties.

I will mostly defer to preceding Citizens reply to this post of yours....but will ad you did not say "Overturned". I will also ad that when the courts overturn older protections the civilians had against their government they are just taking away liberties from the citizenry and strengthening its own powers and that of their peers in the government. That you need to learn that principles can apply even when the scenarios presented are different.

OC for ME

I'm saying the police should have more leeway in conducting good faith investigations. more leeway means a police officer shouldn't be thrown in jail and personally sued if they make a search that seemed reasonable to them only to have it thrown later. or to be personally bankrupted if they have to shoot someone to defend themselves and the shootee's gangbanger family decides to play the courtroom lottery. the police give you and every other citizen leeway all the time. in most states you can be arrested and dragged before a magistrate for going 1 mph over the speed limit. how many people does that happen too? apparently what's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.
No. Cops must not have any authority beyond what the law allows. The laws are quite clear on what a cop may or may not do. Case law continues to pile up slapping down thug cop behavior. See US v. Black. What is intentionally cited as "lawful", by LE, is nothing more than department policy directives. LEAs routinely state "X followed department policy." What is rarely stated is that "X followed statute." Why? The citizenry has been feed a line of BS. That LE policy handbooks follow the law in every respect. Nope, LEAs cherry pick case law that applies to a statute. Thus a cop is proclaimed to have acted in good faith, followed department policy, and thus acted within the confines of the law. When a judge disagrees, well, QI rears its ugly head and the thug cop(s) is not held to account as he/they should be.

See US v. Black for the most recent example of cops "acting" in good faith.

They also decided that a police stop for investigative detention is not in violation of your rights and thus has the unquestioning authority of law. you claim that the "terry court" reaffirmed a principle of absolute privacy, and in the same argument claim they were wrong and started confusing case law contradictory to that principle.
No. Once again you omit, intentionally I suspect at this point, that cops may only perform a investigatory detention if they can specifically articulate X to justify the investigatory detention. See US v. Black. Read it, and note the references, by the judges, to the other "detainees", specifically Mr. Troupe, that are mentioned beyond Black.

Your default "cops need leeway" to do their job is being rejected by the courts. See US v. Black. Cops do not need more leeway and the 4th Circuit is implying that cops have too much leeway and the cops need to start reversing their course.....or else. Personally, I think the 4th Circuit went very easy on those thug cops in Black.

which brings us back to the nature of what I said to start with, that your "rights" are in the hands of whatever judge is reading the motions. I've seen near identical motions ruled on different ways by different judges. you can't possibly expect to hold officers "accountable" when actions fall within the grey area of a judges discretion.
No. Judges do not have the authority to read it differently for the nearly same set of circumstances. Once again, see US v. Black. The 4th Circuit went very easy on the lower court in my view.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I will mostly defer to preceding Citizens reply...

Thanks, but he's going around in circles so I'm not going to spend much time replying. I used to get into arguing each counter-rebuttal point (if you remember the days of a certain anti-rights cop on this forum. :)).

I'll just note a few things.

He didn't particularly explain himself on why cops need more leeway, so I'll take that a as concession on his part that his argument is groundless. Although he wouldn't recognize why, anybody whose read Dr. Roger Roots white paper questioning the constitutionality of police will. There was a time in this country that both the affiant and magistrate were both liable to triple damages for a search (and perhaps a seizure, I don't recall) if done without geniune probable cause.

And, his rebuttal comment about the Terry court affirming the clear and unquestionable authority of Detective McFadden to seize and search Mr. Terry on reasonable suspicion is both non-sequitur and misleading. He doesn't even bother to show where my reasoning is faulty or facts wrong.

He's a statist. Of course his reasoning will be faulty or absent. Of course it will. The principles of liberty hang together and align much, much better than the principles of statists.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by davidmcbeth

and exactly which state capitol would this be?

Likely a topic for another thread, but was wondering the same thing and whether they are subject to any open meeting laws.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Golly gee... everyone relax. Take breath.
Please remember, EMN is just a KID!!!!
He writes good, but he understands little.
Hell, we just this month got him to wear his Open carry empty holster, under his coat...
He Does have much to learn,,, that is a fact...

Just keep in mind,,, he is a young carrier, and he does want to learn,
we will try to show him the way, but we cant make hm drink...

EMNofSeattle

I wonder that too. I don't expect we will learn the answer.

It would be an admission that davidmacbeth is a felon, since he's admitted to selling guns illegal to possess in Chicago to Chicago residents. I think he lives in CT based off of several threads he's made indicating an extreme interest in CT laws. however if he outright says he's from any state other then IL he will have admitted to breaking federal law, and worse... the forum rules.

OC for ME

Golly gee... everyone relax. Take breath.
Please remember, EMN is just a KID!!!!
He writes good, but he understands little.
Hell, we just this month got him to wear his Open carry empty holster, under his coat...
He Does have much to learn,,, that is a fact...

Just keep in mind,,, he is a young carrier, and he does want to learn,
we will try to show him the way, but we cant make hm drink...
He is of age to vote, thus he is not a "kid." His views are exactly the views that liberals count on when voting needs to be done.

EMN will denounce a individual thug cop's unlawful behavior and yet continually calls for "more leeway" for all cops, which is the foundation of that thug cop's unlawful behavior.

EMNofSeattle

He is of age to vote, thus he is not a "kid." His views are exactly the views that liberals count on when voting needs to be done.

EMN will denounce a individual thug cop's unlawful behavior and yet continually calls for "more leeway" for all cops, which is the foundation of that thug cop's unlawful behavior.

No, it's not. Terry stopping someone for hanging out outside a closed business (a good faith action) in a high crime neighborhood is not enabling "Thug cop behavior" if you equate every single questionable detention or search and say that is the same as falsifying reports, tazing non-violent resisters for pain compliance, and having been shielded by the admins becuase they wanted her as a recruitment poster officer then you're really reaching.

And As I showed proof of, her co-workers had brought up their concerns about that trooper for years and it was never acted upon. the rank and file didn't form a "blue wall" the management didn't want to admit they gave awards to a bad egg

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Somebody who defaults to standards like "what the public expects", rather than what the Bill of Rights says wrote:
No, it's not. Terry stopping someone for hanging out outside a closed business (a good faith action) in a high crime neighborhood is not enabling "Thug cop behavior"...

Yet, a source he misuses--the Terry court--quoted the earlier Beck vs Ohio: And simple " good faith on the part of the arresting officer is not enough.' . . . If subjective good faith alone were the test, the protections of the Fourth Amendment would evaporate, and the people would be `secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects,' only in the discretion of the police."

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

I always try to remember that Terry is a bad ruling, watering down the fourth. Even so it is not mere suspicion, cops still need articulable facts. Just had a debate with an officer an a local forum, who thinks its "discretion" and it's for a judge to decide but nothing wrong with detention on "suspicion".

OC for ME

No, it's not. Terry stopping someone for hanging out outside a closed business (a good faith action) in a high crime neighborhood is not enabling "Thug cop behavior" if you equate every single questionable detention or search and say that is the same as falsifying reports, tazing non-violent resisters for pain compliance, and having been shielded by the admins because they wanted her as a recruitment poster officer then you're really reaching.

And As I showed proof of, her co-workers had brought up their concerns about that trooper for years and it was never acted upon. the rank and file didn't form a "blue wall" the management didn't want to admit they gave awards to a bad egg
A "Terry stop" can not be made just cuz someone is hanging outside a closed business. It does not matter the geographic location. US v. Black.

Nor can a "Terry stop" be made for hanging out outside a residential home, at night, with all the lights off, in a high crime area. US v. Black.

A cop can "chat" with folks in those two situations, in the hopes of being able to Terry stop a citizen (that is a different issue altogether) but he can not "Terry stop" anyone for merely hanging out.

You believe and have promoted the false premise that a cop can do as he pleases because he has good intentions.