• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 Bills

.40 Cal

State Researcher
2013 North Carolina House Bills:

1. HB 8 – Deals with Eminent Domain
2. HB 16 – No NC Exchange no Medicare Expansion
3. HB 17 – Restaurant Carry and Confidentially of Gun Permits
4. HB 19 – Respect our Fallen Heroes
5. HB 25 – Amend Felony Breaking and Entering
6. HB 26 – Strengthen laws pertaining to Vehicle Theft
7. HB 30 – Repeal Combined Motor Vehicle Registration / Tax System
8. HB 41 – 0.00 Alcohol restriction – All DWI
9. HB 49 – Firearms in locked vehicle / parking lot
10. HB 59 – Eliminate Safety / Emission Testing Requirement

2013 North Carolina Senate Bills;

1. SB 4 - No NC Exchange no Medicare Expansion
2. SB 16 – Revoke drivers license for passing a stopped school bus
3. SB 17 – Concealed Carry permit validity
4. SB 25 – Hunting/Fishing for Active Duty Military
5. SB 27 – Public School Protection/Firearm Amendment
6. SB 28 – Gun Permit Information / No Publication
7. SB 82 – Eliminate Straight Ticket
8. SB 86 – Permanent License Plate for REACT

Last edited by a moderator:

.40 Cal

State Researcher
Folks,

John has made this a sticky so that we may post updates to these, and any new action in the state legislature that would pertain to our right to keep and bear arms. Please update as often as you recieve aditional information.

.40 Cal

carolina guy

WTFOVER

New bill introduced on 3/5/2013

SB190 - Guns on Education Property/Stored in Locked Car

Brief rundown:
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT AN ADULT AT A SCHOOL, COMMUNITY COLLEGE, OR UNIVERSITY WHO HAS A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT MAY HAVE A HANDGUN ON EDUCATIONAL PROPERTY, PROVIDED THE GUN IS IN A CLOSED CONTAINER IN THE PERSON'S LOCKED MOTOR VEHICLE OR IS IN A LOCKED CONTAINER ATTACHED TO THE MOTOR VEHICLE AND IS REMOVED ONLY FOR DEFENSIVE PURPOSES.

Also Governor McCrory signed into law today HB19 - Respect our Fallon Hero's and SB 4 - No NC Exchange no Medicare Expansion

http://www.governor.nc.gov/newsroom...306/governor-mccrory-takes-action-legislation

Last edited:

WTFOVER

RayBurton72

This one just screams of stolen guns.

Maybe, but the real purpose of it is so I can put my carry piece n the glove box when I drive up to pick up or drop off ,y so at school without getting charged with a felony for carrying on school property...

Given the current situation, this is a marked improvement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

WalkingWolf

I like almost all of HB 246...too bad, I doubt it will see the light of day...

Here is the flaw with the bill, how can it guarantee rights for a privilege. What is with these bills that are clear they intend to eliminate open carry by giving special privileges to holders of permission cards. It is BS, another law I cannot support, the NC constitution protects the right to open carry, it allows for the regulation of concealed carry. All restrictions on open carry and the RKBA should be removed BEFORE ever thinking about making a special class of people. This law is as bad as the LEOSA federal law, it is class warfare intended to strip OC from the state even though it is protected. I can only guess who is behind this bill, the guy who thinks only CC holders are sane enough to carry a firearm.

I am so sick of this IMO the CC laws should be ruled unconstitutional and done away with, and we go back to open carry, before we lose it like Florida, and California.

merc460

Maybe, but the real purpose of it is so I can put my carry piece n the glove box when I drive up to pick up or drop off ,y so at school without getting charged with a felony for carrying on school property...

Given the current situation, this is a marked improvement

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was thinking along my situation, being in college. I just see students locking up weapons in their cars while in classes.
I do admit, I hate leaving the house with mine locked up in the safe, but I would be worried sick with it locked up in my car with all of the car break-ins on campus.

carolina guy

Here is the flaw with the bill, how can it guarantee rights for a privilege. What is with these bills that are clear they intend to eliminate open carry by giving special privileges to holders of permission cards. It is BS, another law I cannot support, the NC constitution protects the right to open carry, it allows for the regulation of concealed carry. All restrictions on open carry and the RKBA should be removed BEFORE ever thinking about making a special class of people. This law is as bad as the LEOSA federal law, it is class warfare intended to strip OC from the state even though it is protected. I can only guess who is behind this bill, the guy who thinks only CC holders are sane enough to carry a firearm.

I am so sick of this IMO the CC laws should be ruled unconstitutional and done away with, and we go back to open carry, before we lose it like Florida, and California.

That was my first thought...but by eliminating the Constitutional prohibition, it would actually make CC a right, with the license allowing further areas of carry over the default. It seems to me that the legislators think that the most likely way to expand gun rights is via CC??

WalkingWolf

That was my first thought...but by eliminating the Constitutional prohibition, it would actually make CC a right, with the license allowing further areas of carry over the default. It seems to me that the legislators think that the most likely way to expand gun rights is via CC??

Concealed carry is not a right by the NC constitution, the only way to make it a right is with a court case or changing the NC constitution. PV has made it clear his disdain for OC, and he is clearly trying to reverse the NC constitution and force Open Carriers to get permits to exercise their right guaranteed by the constitution, thereby turning it into a privilege.

Rights do not have licenses or permits, or need permission.

There is another state, I believe NM where it is so bad that they cannot OC anywhere where alcohol is sold. That includes gas stations and grocery stores. If this attempt succeeds that is what we are looking at for here. It is a disgusting knife in the back attempt to do away with OC. And pad the pocket of GRNC and CC instructors.

If we are to do anything we should be fighting for our 2A rights not privileges. It is going to be strange that there will be a complete reversal with SC and NC. They currently have no OC, but will have in the near future, if their bill passes. And we will outlaw NC even though it is protected in the NC constitution.

I hope that people see through this attempt to shove a skive up our backside. I pray the bill fails. I wish we had a NC pro 2A organization that was not taking bribes from CC instructors.

IMO if CC is to become a right, permits must be done away with. But then a bunch of instructors and lobbyists will lose their cash cow.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Concealed carry is not a right by the NC constitution, the only way to make it a right is with a court case or changing the NC constitution. PV has made it clear his disdain for OC, and he is clearly trying to reverse the NC constitution and force Open Carriers to get permits to exercise their right guaranteed by the constitution, thereby turning it into a privilege.

Rights do not have licenses or permits, or need permission.

There is another state, I believe NM where it is so bad that they cannot OC anywhere where alcohol is sold. That includes gas stations and grocery stores. If this attempt succeeds that is what we are looking at for here. It is a disgusting knife in the back attempt to do away with OC. And pad the pocket of GRNC and CC instructors.

If we are to do anything we should be fighting for our 2A rights not privileges. It is going to be strange that there will be a complete reversal with SC and NC. They currently have no OC, but will have in the near future, if their bill passes. And we will outlaw NC even though it is protected in the NC constitution.

I hope that people see through this attempt to shove a skive up our backside. I pray the bill fails. I wish we had a NC pro 2A organization that was not taking bribes from CC instructors.

IMO if CC is to become a right, permits must be done away with. But then a bunch of instructors and lobbyists will lose their cash cow.

The first part of the bill is to put the change to the Constitution on the ballot...this would remove the restriction against CC... then both forms are equally protected..at least until the legislators start pecking in the NCGS.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
[FONT=Times New (W1)]AN ACT TO AMEND THE NORTH CAROLINA CONSTITUTION TO RESTRICT THE LIMITATIONS THAT MAY BE PLACED ON A PERSON WHO HOLDS A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT.[/FONT]The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:SECTION 1. Section 30 of Article 1 of the North Carolina Constitution reads as rewritten:"Sec. 30. Militia and the right to bear arms.(1) A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; and, as standing armies in time of peace are dangerous to liberty, they shall not be maintained, and the military shall be kept under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power. Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.(2) A person who holds a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun shall not be prohibited by the State from carrying a concealed handgun except:(a) In courthouses.(b) In federal government buildings where the federal government prohibits weapons.(c) On private property where the owner has posted prominently displayed signs forbidding concealed weapons on the premises.(d) On school campuses by persons not authorized to carry concealed weapons on school campuses.(e) In law enforcement or correctional facilities.(f) While consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in the person's body any alcohol or in the person's blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in the person's blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts or if the person is on the person's own property.(g) Under domestic violence court order entered as provided by law.(3) In accordance with the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and this Section, the State shall never engage in a general confiscation of the weapons of its citizens and shall never cooperate in the effort of any other entity to do so."SECTION 2. The amendment set out in Section 1 of this act shall be submitted to the qualified voters of the State at a statewide general election to be held on November 4, 2014, which election shall be conducted under the laws then governing elections in the State. Ballots, voting systems, or both may be used in accordance with Chapter 163 of the General Statutes. The question to be used in the voting systems and ballots shall be:
"[ ] FOR [ ] AGAINST​
Constitutional amendment providing that the carrying of a concealed handgun by a person who holds a permit to carry a concealed handgun shall not be prohibited by the State except in certain locations and under certain circumstances and that the State shall never engage in a campaign of general confiscation of weapons or cooperate in any effort with another entity to confiscate the weapons of its citizens."

Red highlighted portion is to be removed...but it won't cut and paste with the text struck-through. The underlined portion is to be added...and this part I am not as comfortable about...too much added to the Constitution, and frankly, if CC is "OK" then why do you have to get a permit?? But, I will take anything added that we can get...never going to get it all in one try in the People's Republic of NC.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I repeat, it is not a right if there are license and permits, and requirements to take classes. It is an attempt to replace CC as the right in NC and do away with OC. All that is needed to make CC a right is remove one thing from the NC constitution, NOT add that permit holders can this and that with a permit. You are being taken down the yellow brick road, by the wizard of GRNC.

If he truly was wanting rights for CC then the permits would be made unconstitutional, and all restrictions to the exercise of RKBA would be removed for all carry NOT just CC. This bill would make permits a part of the constitution, AND strip the right of Open Carry without a license.

It is the whole purpose of his agenda, he has publicly admitted it. And he threatened he had something planned in the Gold Carry thread, this is it. If you are in favor of this you are not in favor of 2A, because it goes directly against it.

As far as taking anything you can get take a peak at the CA sub forum. That was all they were trying to do, and look what happened to them. You are being hoodwinked, sorry.

Last edited:

carolina guy

I repeat, it is not a right if there are license and permits, and requirements to take classes. It is an attempt to replace CC as the right in NC and do away with OC. All that is needed to make CC a right is remove one thing from the NC constitution, NOT add that permit holders can this and that with a permit. You are being taken down the yellow brick road, by the wizard of GRNC.

If he truly was wanting rights for CC then the permits would be made unconstitutional, and all restrictions to the exercise of RKBA would be removed for all carry NOT just CC. This bill would make permits a part of the constitution, AND strip the right of Open Carry without a license.

It is the whole purpose of his agenda, he has publicly admitted it. And he threatened he had something planned in the Gold Carry thread, this is it. If you are in favor of this you are not in favor of 2A, because it goes directly against it.

As far as taking anything you can get take a peak at the CA sub forum. That was all they were trying to do, and look what happened to them. You are being hoodwinked, sorry.

I agree with you, and that is why I do not completely understand the purpose of part 2. If the prohibition against CC is removed from the Constitution, then a permit to do what you are already allowed to do is, well, redundant. At that point the 2A and the NC Constitution BECOME your permit -- or that would be MY argument...but, as my sig says, IANAL. :) Don't forget, this part is being removed:

Nothing herein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons, or prevent the General Assembly from enacting penal statutes against that practice.

My personal feeling is let them try...I HIGHLY doubt this will make it out of committee, but if it does, let's remove the prohibition from the Constitution. Then we can tackle the issue of permits. I think it makes the Sheriff issued permits a redundant thing of the past, because they would no longer be able make CC a criminal offense. Sure they can try to regulate it, but a regulation with no penalty is just a waste of words.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

"(2) A person who holds a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun shall not be prohibited by the State from carrying a concealed handgun except:"

You can't get past this sentence, it is clear they intend to make concealed carry with a permit the only option, the above sentence will allow them to outlaw OC by only allowing carry by permit. It has already been done in other states. I certainly hope this fails, because if it does, kiss OC goodbye in this state except on your own property, or maybe traveling to and from. Almost every store and gas station sells alcohol, and other states the gun owners have been screwed by these laws.

We have it good here, and all we have to do to make it better is challenge the restrictions in the courts for OC. If a person can OC in a restaurant, there will be a push to legalize CC, because OC is just scarey. We should learn from CA and the recent ruling in CO that making CC the focus and primary cause as a step to OC WILL backfire on everybody.

Never compromise a right, that is how we lost control of them.

Last edited:

carolina guy

"(2) A person who holds a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun shall not be prohibited by the State from carrying a concealed handgun except:"

You can't get past this sentence, it is clear they intend to make concealed carry with a permit the only option, the above sentence will allow them to outlaw OC by only allowing carry by permit. It has already been done in other states. I certainly hope this fails, because if it does, kiss OC goodbye in this state except on your own property, or maybe traveling to and from. Almost every store and gas station sells alcohol, and other states the gun owners have been screwed by these laws.

We have it good here, and all we have to do to make it better is challenge the restrictions in the courts for OC. If a person can OC in a restaurant, there will be a push to legalize CC, because OC is just scarey. We should learn from CA and the recent ruling in CO that making CC the focus and primary cause as a step to OC WILL backfire on everybody.

Never compromise a right, that is how we lost control of them.

I understand your feeling. Personally, I don't think they have a chance....as you say, you cannot permit a right. The 2A has been declared a personal right, and IMO, that means that either OC, CC, or BOTH must remain permit-less, and since this state has a LOOOOONNG history of OC, that would be a very hard road to hoe.