• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2013 Bills

WTFOVER

New Senate bill filled today.

SB 342 - Amend Gun Laws

Record Brief;
AN ACT TO ALLOW PERSONS WITH CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS TO POSSESS HANDGUNS IN RESTAURANTS UNLESS A NOTICE PROHIBITING
POSSESSION ON THE PREMISES IS POSTED; TO MAKE IT UNLAWFUL FOR FELONS TO POSSESS AMMUNITION, CERTAIN WEAPONS IN ADDITION TO
FIREARMS, AND TO CARRY ANY CONCEALED WEAPON; AND TO CLARIFY THE LAW ON LOCAL GOVERNMENT AUTHORITY TO PROHIBIT CONCEALED
CARRY OF FIREARMS

WTFOVER

HB 405 - Judge/Concealed Handgun Permit

Record Brief;
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT ANY JUSTICE OR JUDGE OF THE GENERAL COURT OF USTICE OF THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA WHO HAS A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT THAT IS VALID IN NORTH CAROLINA IS EXEMPT FROM THE GENERAL PROHIBITION AGAINST CARRYING A CONCEALED WEAPON AND FROM THE PROHIBITIONS AGAINST CARRYING A WEAPON ON CERTAIN PREMISES OR IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

rotorhead

I understand your feeling. Personally, I don't think they have a chance....as you say, you cannot permit a right. The 2A has been declared a personal right, and IMO, that means that either OC, CC, or BOTH must remain permit-less, and since this state has a LOOOOONNG history of OC, that would be a very hard road to hoe.

Actually, the problem here is listening to WW's inept reading of the bill while mixing it with his hatred of someone he purposefully twists the words of.

In actuality, what that portion of the bill is trying to do is do away with the CHP requirement for carrying concealed while in NC. It leaves the CHP intact only as a measure for people to get it as an option if they would like to carry concealed in a state which recognizes the NC CHP via reciporcity.

So in a nutshell, if passed as is, it would remove the requirement to get a concealed permit to carry concealed, but leave the permit option open for those who wanted to use it out of state. Contrary to Wolf's irrational summation, it's not designed to do away with OC in the state. If there was even a hint of trying to do away with OC in the state I'd shred the bill to pieces on every forum I thought would hear it.

I don't have a CHP and probably never will. I personally don't believe that a permit should be required to carry either openly or concealed. If I thought this bill would endanger my ability to OC I could never support it.

WalkingWolf

Actually, the problem here is listening to WW's inept reading of the bill while mixing it with his hatred of someone he purposefully twists the words of.

In actuality, what that portion of the bill is trying to do is do away with the CHP requirement for carrying concealed while in NC. It leaves the CHP intact only as a measure for people to get it as an option if they would like to carry concealed in a state which recognizes the NC CHP via reciporcity.

So in a nutshell, if passed as is, it would remove the requirement to get a concealed permit to carry concealed, but leave the permit option open for those who wanted to use it out of state. Contrary to Wolf's irrational summation, it's not designed to do away with OC in the state. If there was even a hint of trying to do away with OC in the state I'd shred the bill to pieces on every forum I thought would hear it.

I don't have a CHP and probably never will. I personally don't believe that a permit should be required to carry either openly or concealed. If I thought this bill would endanger my ability to OC I could never support it.
Actually I have never mentioned hatred, so it would seem my flexing my rights as a citizen of NC is causing the hatred from a small group that tries to bully others. Sorry it is not working for you. You really should stop with the blatant untrue insults, I would consider them hateful.

rotorhead

Actually I have never mentioned hatred, so it would seem my flexing my rights as a citizen of NC is causing the hatred from a small group that tries to bully others. Sorry it is not working for you. You really should stop with the blatant untrue insults, I would consider them hateful.

Aww. I'll try to be more gentle.

Now, for the actual topic of discussion. Are you for a Constitutional carry bill that would leave the CHP program in place for those who would want a permit for various reasons or no? Unless I'm reading it wrong, it would remove the restrictions against concealed carry and leave the CHP in place for people who would want to have it for out of state travel and things like that.

Is that a bad thing?

Last edited:

carolina guy

Well...the way I read it now is that it will remove the blanket illegality of CC, but it will still leave in place the ability of government to regulate how and where we can carry (OC or CC). To me, it makes 2 classes of CC....licensed and unlicensed. Why? I don't read that the intent is to create a reciprocity situation for NC by having the license...but if that is the intent, why not just license EVERYONE who can carry?

WalkingWolf

Aww. I'll try to be more gentle.

Now, for the actual topic of discussion. Are you for a Constitutional carry bill that would leave the CHP program in place for those who would want a permit for various reasons or no? Unless I'm reading it wrong, it would remove the restrictions against concealed carry and leave the CHP in place for people who would want to have it for out of state travel and things like that.

Is that a bad thing?

Please point to the area of the bill where it states "constitutional carry"?

"A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT TO AMEND THE NORTH CAROLINA CONSTITUTION TO RESTRICT THE LIMITATIONS THAT MAY BE PLACED ON A PERSON WHO HOLDS A CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT."

Last edited:

rotorhead

Well...the way I read it now is that it will remove the blanket illegality of CC, but it will still leave in place the ability of government to regulate how and where we can carry (OC or CC). To me, it makes 2 classes of CC....licensed and unlicensed. Why? I don't read that the intent is to create a reciprocity situation for NC by having the license...but if that is the intent, why not just license EVERYONE who can carry?

Uggh...

After reviewing the bills, my sincere apologies are in order to both you and Wolf. I have my bills mixed up. Way too much on th brain lately.

This isn't the bill I was thinking of. What this one does is remove certain restrictions where CHP holders can carry, along with a few other things. It is not the Constitutional carry bill that I had in my brain.

And yes, I can see how this would do very little in terms of OC. To me (a non-permit holder) it means virtually nothing.

Again,I offer my apologies for the confusion and hope they will be accepted.

In my pea brain, I was cranking out information for a different bill, one that will remove the requirement for the CHP to carry concealed within the state, but leaves the CHP intact in case people would want them. As to why it would be a good idea to create a second class of CC, I could only guess. I do't like teh permit in teh first place and consider it already creating a division between gun owners in the state, but I understand why it was created and why it's being pushed for now.

I won't waste the bandwidth with that rehash though. If you would like to PM me (or anyone for that matter) for my opnion on that matter, you may feel free :)

WTFOVER

Two new bills introduced by the Senate today;

SB 405 - Council of State Members/Concealed Handguns.

Record Brief;
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT A COUNCIL OF STATE MEMBER WHO HAS A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT MAY POSSESS OR CARRY A HANDGUN ON
STATE PROPERTY WHILE DISCHARGING THE MEMBER'S OFFICIAL DUTIES.

SB 408 - Lawful Citizens Self Protection Act.

Record Brief;
AN ACT TO EXPAND AREAS IN WHICH LAWFUL CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT HOLDERS MAY CARRY OR KEEP FIREARMS FOR SELF PROTECTION.

carolina guy

Uggh...

After reviewing the bills, my sincere apologies are in order to both you and Wolf. I have my bills mixed up. Way too much on th brain lately.

This isn't the bill I was thinking of. What this one does is remove certain restrictions where CHP holders can carry, along with a few other things. It is not the Constitutional carry bill that I had in my brain.

And yes, I can see how this would do very little in terms of OC. To me (a non-permit holder) it means virtually nothing.

Again,I offer my apologies for the confusion and hope they will be accepted.

In my pea brain, I was cranking out information for a different bill, one that will remove the requirement for the CHP to carry concealed within the state, but leaves the CHP intact in case people would want them. As to why it would be a good idea to create a second class of CC, I could only guess. I do't like teh permit in teh first place and consider it already creating a division between gun owners in the state, but I understand why it was created and why it's being pushed for now.

I won't waste the bandwidth with that rehash though. If you would like to PM me (or anyone for that matter) for my opnion on that matter, you may feel free :)

:)

WTFOVER

Two great bills introduced from the House on 4/9/13

HB 705 - Preemption Affirmation Act.

Record Brief;
AN ACT TO ENSURE STATEWIDE UNIFORMITY OF FIREARMS LAWS

HB 624 - Enabling Patriots Act.

Record Brief;
AN ACT TO ENHANCE THE ABILITY OF LAWFUL CITIZENS OF NORTH CAROLINA TO PROTECT THEMSELVES, CHILDREN, AND OTHERS FROM CRIMINALS AND VIOLENT SOCIOPATHS AND TO EXPAND AREAS IN WHICH LAWFUL CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT HOLDERS MAY CARRY OR KEEP FIREARMS FOR PROTECTION OF THEMSELVES AND OTHERS.

carolina guy

Finally a bill that supports the right to bear arms in NC. I hope this passes and soon, unless changes are made to it that would detriment the right to bear arms.

The thing I want to know is when did the 2nd Amendment "change" to only include firearms? I know it is kinda strange, but it is really starting to bother me that the discussion has evolved to exclude bows, edged weapons, bludgeoning weapons, etc. Good luck OC a sword in most states without hassle. ;)

"§ 14‑409.50. Findings; applicability.(a) The North Carolina General Assembly finds that the right to keep and bear arms is a fundamental right. The North Carolina General Assembly affirms this right as a constitutionally protected right in this State.(b)This Article applies to firearms, firearm accessories, and ammunition that are manufactured in North Carolina.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I don't think so! This law takes away the property owners right to give permission for a person to carry in a restaurant where alcohol is consumed and sold. As we found out in a thread a while back it is legal for OCers to carry in a restaurant under those conditions. In this proposed bill that has been crossed out and will be removed from the law, infringing not only on the gun owners rights but the property owners. This is absolutely sneaky doodoo on the part of whoever is responsible.

Sneaky Sneaky dirty lobbyists and politicians, shame on you!

Last edited:

carolina guy

I don't think so! This law takes away the property owners right to give permission for a person to carry in a restaurant where alcohol is consumed and sold. As we found out in a thread a while back it is legal for OCers to carry in a restaurant under those conditions. In this proposed bill that has been crossed out and will be removed from the law, infringing not only on the gun owners rights but the property owners. This is absolutely sneaky doodoo on the part of whoever is responsible.

Sneaky Sneaky dirty lobbyists and politicians, shame on you!

I didn't catch that deletion...very sneaky!

You know, if they are so concerned with the CC slips, perhaps someone needs to just suggest that someone with a CHP be allowed to carry ANYWHERE, regardless of permission of the owner. ;)

WalkingWolf

I didn't catch that deletion...very sneaky!

You know, if they are so concerned with the CC slips, perhaps someone needs to just suggest that someone with a CHP be allowed to carry ANYWHERE, regardless of permission of the owner. ;)

From what I have heard they already do. It is not about the carry, it is about the money, and keeping the flow of it going. I guess they figure sooner or later the student supply will run low.