Thread: Heard a rumor.

Heard a rumor.

I heard that there is a proposed bill to require background checks for ammo purchases in either the KY senate or house. I've looked, but couldn't find anything. Personally I think someone's blowing smoke up my arse trying to get me in a tizzy. Would appreciate someone able to confirm or deny this.
    Last edited by CharleyCherokee; 02-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed to whom it may concern.
    Why open carrying is a good idea: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...encounter.html

Senate Bill 121

They were probably referring to SB121. See section 14 (5)(a). Your firearms would have to be registered (background check). When you buy ammo, the system would cross reference to the calibers that you have registered.

My guess is that SB121 will die in the Judiciary.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymack View Post
    They were probably referring to SB121. See section 14 (5)(a). Your firearms would have to be registered (background check). When you buy ammo, the system would cross reference to the calibers that you have registered.

Cross reference THIS ... right?

Here's the full text of the relevant section

(c) By July 1, 2014, the log shall be required to operate in real time, and shall query the records of the department prior to the completion of any sale to determine whether the purchaser has a current, valid license to possess the type of firearm being purchased or a license for the type of firearm for which the ammunition is being purchased.
    This really bothers me for several reasons, and I hope that this bill doesn't pass(although I don't think it will).

Aside from all the other crap in the bill which is pretty standard anti-gunner fare(i.e. AWB, universal background checks), cross referencing ammunition sales to calibers you own is just inane.

Like many folks, when I go to the range, I rarely go alone, and most of the folks I go with have different calibers of guns than I do. I buy ammunition all the time for calibers of guns I don't own for this reason, as if I'm going to shoot someone else's gun I hate to burn up their ammunition. As a prime example, I've never owned a 9mm, but have bought probably 500 rounds of 9mm in the past year.

I've been known, too, to buy ammunition for which I don't yet own a gun, but am planning to buy one in the near future. 44 Magnum is a prime example of this for me-I have probably 300 rounds on hand, even though I haven't yet bought a gun in that caliber. I even had a few boxes of .223 squirreled away(I sold them at the gun show last month) even though I don't think I'll ever own an AR.

(c) By July 1, 2014, the log shall be required to operate in real time, and shall query the records of the department prior to the completion of any sale to determine whether the purchaser has a current, valid license to possess the type of firearm being purchased or a license for the type of firearm for which the ammunition is being purchased.

I thought the entire bill was crap too, this was obvious from the first couple of definitions. I couldn't see where anything was being banned yet, it gave the department of state police the ability to set up a registration scheme and issue different types of licenses, handgun, longgun, assualt weapon, magazine greater than 7 rounds ect.

The state police were being given the autority to set up the regulations any way they see fit, so only time would tell if you would need a license for all handguns or one for each gun and how much the licence (s) would cost

and the last section repeals preemption

this section in question doesn't neccesalily cross reference by caliber, if buying hangun ammo you would need a handgun licence if buying rifle ammo you would need longgun license and who knows since there is more than 7 rounds in a box of ammo you might have to show a standard capasity mag license just in case.

Even California had problems when they tried this because sometime the same ammo can be used in rifles and handguns.

Activist Member
    Those who introduced this bill already know that it is DOA, but they wanted to get their "views" out there. This bill has about as much of a chance as hell freezing over.

This is Kentucky, and our representatives pass what the People want. We do not have to worry about this bill passing any time soon.
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymack View Post

Why do you have "background check" in parenthesis after "registered?" Are you trying to imply our current background check is firearm registration?
    "I never in my life seen a Kentuckian without a gun..."-Andrew Jackson

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined."-Patrick Henry; speaking of protecting the rights of an armed citizenry.