• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nvfac legislative goals for this session.

The Big Guy

For those of you who are not members and have not received the newsletter, I have cut out the following. These are the Coalitions stated goals for this session.

TBG

The Coalition’s main goals this session are:

1. Elimination of Clark County’s Handgun registration program and the destruction of their handgun registration records (NVFAC-supported firearms law pre-emption BDR)
  2. Elimination of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City and Mesquite gun codes (NVFAC-supported firearms law pre-emption BDR)
  3. Civil lawsuit protection for use of firearms in justified self-defense (NVFAC-supported AB 70, Castle Doctrine Bill)
  4. Allow CFP holders to carry on college campuses (NVFAC-supported AB 143, Campus Carry Bill)
  5. Allow federal firearms licensees to do background checks direct with NICS and not pay extra fees
  6. Eliminate the Nevada Sheriffs and Chief Association from the CFP process
  7. Support other bills which support our goals and priorities
These goals translate into our legislative priorities for the 77th Session of the Nevada Legislature:

1. No magazine size restrictions
  2. No additional restrictions on existing legal firearms
  3. No additional restrictions on possession, use, transportation, etc., of firearms, especially without due process and proper judicial determination of a legal Second Amendment disability
  4. No registration of firearms owners, or their firearms
  5. No increase in background checks for private firearms sales or transfers
  6. No increases in regulations for gun shows
  7. State-sponsored study of cause/relationship between gun violence and mental health
  8. State-sponsored study of cause/relationship between gun violence and mood-altering drugs, including physician-prescribed psychotropic drug use by K-12 and post-secondary students
  9. State-sponsored study of cause/relationship between gun violence and video games

Vegassteve

Seriously #9? If video games caused that I would have been in the NFL years ago from 10 years worth of Madden. And for that matter 7 and 8 as well. Why do need the state to sponsor anything?

CowboyKen

This sounds great! I support each and every one of these goals/legislative priorities!!!

Who is doing the hands on work. Who is in Carson City talking to the key members of the Senate and the Assembly?

Has NVFAC hired a paid lobbyist, if so who and at what cost? Or are Mr. Turner and Mr. Irwin there making all of those folks listen and do what we want?

Will there be updates from Mr. Turner. or someone, as to progress?

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Ken

The Big Guy

This sounds great! I support each and every one of these goals/legislative priorities!!!

Who is doing the hands on work. Who is in Carson City talking to the key members of the Senate and the Assembly?

Has NVFAC hired a paid lobbyist, if so who and at what cost? Or are Mr. Turner and Mr. Irwin there making all of those folks listen and do what we want?

Will there be updates from Mr. Turner. or someone, as to progress?

Please let us know.

Thanks.

Ken

All of your answers are contained in the membership newsletter and email blasts recieved today.

Yes the VP for legislative affairs of the NVFAC is now a credentialed lobbyist and they have hired an outside lobby firm.

Yes members receive updates via email blasts, the Coalition web site, Facebook and newsletter.

TBG

varminter22

Seriously #9? If video games caused that I would have been in the NFL years ago from 10 years worth of Madden. And for that matter 7 and 8 as well. Why do need the state to sponsor anything?

Lets be fair.

It says "study of cause/relationship."

You and I may not think there is a cause/relationship. Perhaps there is no cause/relationship, but lots of people think there may be.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

[*]State-sponsored study of cause/relationship between gun violence and mental health
[*]State-sponsored study of cause/relationship between gun violence and mood-altering drugs, including physician-prescribed psychotropic drug use by K-12 and post-secondary students
[*]State-sponsored study of cause/relationship between gun violence and video games
[/LIST]

I have been through this process with "Rights Org's" in different arenas. This is the process wherein the Organization that you joined starts slowly telling you what your agenda is.
I have seen no one on the gun blogs talk about video games and how they have affected their daily carrying of a firearm. Who on here has any personal experience with this video game issue?

Have you ever wondered why a motorcycle rider,who

A. Generally has the most exposure on the road.
B. Generally has sufficient motor skills.
C. Generally cannot inflict more than a minimal amount of damage on other motorists.

Needs a special license?

But, the old man in a hat, with marginal eyesight, bad hearing, and slow motor skills can buy a forty foot motor-home towing a boat, that can do lots of damage and drive off with no restrictions?

ANSWER: The motorcyclists lobbied for it !

Back when helmet choice was being challenged in the early 70's Easyrider's magazine loosely sponsored local chapters of ABATE (A brotherhood aimed towards education) These MRO's (motorcycle rights organizations) as well as copycats sprang up in defense of freedom.

One of the things being preached was "we gotta stop killing ourselves" Slowly the Brothers let go of the passion for freedom, for the notion that if the bikers got safe, IE licenses etc. the government would come around on the helmet situation. That never happened. We did however get taxed $6.00 on our registration to build a bureaucracy called the Governors board on motorcycle safety. It is a foundation that creates nanny state rules for us and in front of the legislature, Can speak no wrong.

ABATES organizations around the country realized that rights are individual, and they (ABATE) cannot have an effect on them. So they pulled a page out of the NRA's book and registered all their members. After all a Govt. sanctioned Biker has more bragging rights than the Non sanctioned rider right?

I can see it now in order for the NVFAC to get a "sanctioned study" on the dangers of video games and guns, we all need to pay a small tax to the newly formed Governors board on gun safety.... so that we can show the world what safe gun owners we are.........PUKE!

DON`T TREAD ON ME

For those of you who are not members and have not received the newsletter, I have cut out the following. These are the Coalitions stated goals for this session.

TBG

The Coalition’s main goals this session are:

1. Elimination of Clark County’s Handgun registration program and the destruction of their handgun registration records (NVFAC-supported firearms law pre-emption BDR)
  2. Elimination of Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, Henderson, Boulder City and Mesquite gun codes (NVFAC-supported firearms law pre-emption BDR)
  3. Civil lawsuit protection for use of firearms in justified self-defense (NVFAC-supported AB 70, Castle Doctrine Bill)
  4. Allow CFP holders to carry on college campuses (NVFAC-supported AB 143, Campus Carry Bill)
  5. Allow federal firearms licensees to do background checks direct with NICS and not pay extra fees
    [*]Eliminate the Nevada Sheriffs and Chief Association from the CFP process
  6. Support other bills which support our goals and priorities
These goals translate into our legislative priorities for the 77th Session of the Nevada Legislature.

OK I tried not to get upset, But really?
Number six boils my blood... The audacity of that group (NVFAC) I searched the BDR list for "firearm" and for "Sheriff and Chief" I see no bill for removing the Sheriffs and Chiefs from the statute. Does somebody know something that I do not? If this is a goal, but they do not even have a BDR what does that say about the "other goals of the NVFAC.

If removing the Sheriffs and chiefs from the CCW process really is a goal of the NVFAC, why is it they have shown zero interest in the lawsuit to do just that since its inception. When I offered Don the opportunity to Put the NVFAC in the lawsuit "NO CHARGE" He never responded to myself or the attorney. Don did not respond to invites to the planning and strategy meetings. I have hid it from no one including the sheriffs and Chiefs.

I am starting to think that the NVFAC is not just a Organization that refuses to take a stand, I am starting to move closer to the idea that they are "Obstructionists" Letting us know that they are working on stuff that they are not to get us to relax because it is "handled."

Assuming this is part of the news letter: "The Coalition’s main goals this session are:" How are these the goals of the "COALITION" Is this something they came up with? I know that Campus Carry was a bill last session, Prior to the coalitions existence.... Did Senator Guvstason not bring up Pro-gun bills long before the "coalition was formed? What makes other peoples work, suddenly become the coalitions GOALS?

I offered about 4 LBS of paperwork and CD discs to Don Turner regarding the Sheriffs and Chiefs that I procured from DPS, NO RESPONSE But it is the goal huh????

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Yes the VP for legislative affairs of the NVFAC is now a credentialed lobbyist and they have hired an outside lobby firm.

TBG

Here is who is registered to "lobby" for the NVFAC, I Copy Pasted it off the Secretary of State website! If they hired a "FIRM" it does not show...

Nevada Firearms Coalition
5575 Simmons Street, Suite 1-176
N Las Vegas, NV 89031 (Phone) 702-455-8199
Organization's Representation City, State, Phone
Mackie, Duncan R. Las Vegas NV,

Source: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Lobbyist/reports/LobbyistEmployerList.cfm?Session=77

We should give it a couple of Days and then check back. I have a call in to the SOS office to see if there is a pending application.

About Duncan Mackie

Duncan R. Mackie is a ten-year police veteran, police firearms instructor, and life-long gun enthusiast living in Las Vegas, NV. He holds several NRA pistol certifications,and is a life member of the NRA, GOA, CCRKBA and the Second Amendment Foundation. He may be reached at LVGUNGUY@gmail.com.

Last edited:

wrightme

Lobbyist Employer List -- 77th (2013) Session

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nevada Firearms Coalition
5575 Simmons Street, Suite 1-176
N Las Vegas, NV 89031 (Phone) 702-455-8199

Organization's Representation City, State, Phone
Jackson, Megan * Reno NV, 775-453-0618 Mackie, Duncan R. Las Vegas NV,
* Indicates Paid Lobbyist

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Lobbyist/reports/LobbyistDetail.cfm?lobbyist=274&Session=77

Looks like the one they hired shows up now.

Last edited: