Thread: Senate panel flexes muscle, blocks gun bills

Senate panel flexes muscle, blocks gun bills

OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) — A Senate committee led by firearm-friendly lawmakers blocked five gun control bills Friday, suggesting that this year's momentum related to weapons laws may not be enough to win passage.

Members of the Law and Justice Committee voted to reject a variety of proposals, including one that would have created a task force to study weapon violence and another that would have created a specific crime for people who leave out loaded guns for children to access. Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, expressed frustration after the hearing, saying the majority on the committee was stuck in "mindless, rigid refusal" that rejects even common sense ideas.

"They are in such rigid refusal, they just can't see it," Kline said.

Kline said he suspected that if the Connecticut school massacre hadn't happened recently, his proposal related to child access to guns would have passed unanimously.

Sen. Mike Padden, R-Spokane Valley, chairs the committee and decided not to hold public hearings on many of the gun proposals. Democrats moved to take votes on the measures ahead of Friday's deadline for policy bills, and Padden argued that the bills should be rejected because they didn't have a proper public debate.

"We haven't had a hearing to hear both sides on this," Padden said on Democratic Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles' proposal on child access to guns.

Kohl-Welles noted that her bill had 24 sponsors in the Senate, including two Republicans and Senate Majority Leader Rodney Tom.

The state House is working on a plan to expand background checks, with the help of a Republican lawmaker who works as a police officer, providing perhaps the best hope for gun control supporters who have worked on such a bill for years. Padden said he wasn't sure whether that bill would get a hearing in his committee.

Sen. Pam Roach, a Republican lawmaker on the Law and Justice Committee, had spoken positively about the first bill considered — a plan that would allow law enforcement agencies to store weapons if people voluntarily surrender them for a period of time. But when it came time to vote, Roach paused before casting the deciding vote to reject the bill.

Roach then left the committee room for the remainder of the votes, leaving the bills to die on 3-3 ties. Roach did not immediately return a call seeking comment after the hearing.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2013/f...#ixzz2LfzZ54dU
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Dead before arrival, in Washington. It's looking like Nationally, it is dead before arrival; we will see, though.

I kept stating these things would be DOA...I was wrong!
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Very thankful. I might write to Kline and tell him "no, YOU, sir, are the one who doesn't see it."

I'm so sick of this!

We're not out of the woods yet, these were just the Senate bills and Senate companion-to-house bills.

Watch out for the original house bills coming out of the house and headed toward the Senate floor.

This coming from a guy who has a provision in his last few gun control bills that premits an annual warrentless search of your home by law enforcement in violation of the 4th ammendmant, then he acts shocked when you caught him at it.

No kline they can see it just fine, your just an elected official that likes to violate your oath of office. even the justice department doesnt agree with your gun control measures having any impact on crime or safety.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmg50cal View Post
    Well that must mean there will be a bill to ban assault gods soon.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

According to a "Legislative Expert" on King 5 News last night, this only means there is a 97% chance the Bills will die. Supposedly there is still a chance bills like this can "rise from the dead" in the closing days of the session. Just like vampires, you have to have a "stake through their hearts" before they're really dead. That means that the final gavel has to fall on the session before we should all feel "safe".
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Kline said he suspected that if the Connecticut school massacre hadn't happened recently, his proposal related to child access to guns would have passed unanimously.
    Using the murder of 20 kids to push an agenda, what's wrong with this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by DCKilla View Post
    Actually with Kline, he thought the opposite...if Sandy Hook had not enegized the gun community to push back full force, then could have snuck it through.
    Last edited by hermannr; 02-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.

Just a thought...What if????

Sandy Hook had not happened when it did and the feds overplay their hand.

NY had not pushed through the most draconian anti-gun bill known, along with the NY admission that confsication was the ultimate goal.

Would WA and OR actually been motevated enough, or would 2014 just been another 1994 here in WA? Both OR and WA have democraps holding the house and the senate, both have gov that are not 2A friendly (If you don't remember, Inslee voted for the 1994 AWB...and lost his house seat for teh effort, along with Foley.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    If you don't remember, Inslee voted for the 1994 AWB...and lost his house seat for teh effort, along with Foley.
    It sure looks like his political career was harmed by his vote in '94.

People have far to short and convenient memories.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I wonder...

If someone were to (jokingly) propose a bill stripping Kline of his rights to freedom of speech and expression because someone, somewhere else in the country had caused harm by using those rights, would Kline catch a clue? Or would he miss the ironic sarcasm and start ranting about how evil his political opponents are?

Quote Originally Posted by Difdi View Post
    If someone were to (jokingly) propose a bill stripping Kline of his rights to freedom of speech and expression because someone, somewhere else in the country had caused harm by using those rights, would Kline catch a clue? Or would he miss the ironic sarcasm and start ranting about how evil his political opponents are?
    If you made it personal I'm sure he would object. If you made it general (like the calls to restrict freedom of speech to avoid offending the sensibilities of Muslims) he'd probably be right behind it pushing for passage.
    Last edited by John Hardin; 02-25-2013 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxx.jakk.xxx View Post
    Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, expressed frustration after the hearing, saying the majority on the committee was stuck in "mindless, rigid refusal" that rejects even common sense ideas.

What a despicable cretin.

lulz. Then why are you trotting it out now? Methinks you were expecting the opposite response.

Scum.

While I think this is good news, I think the bills that were dropped are merely a smokescreen for the true agenda of the gun grabbers in WA - and end to private sales and an eventual push for full registration. We all know what THAT would mean for us long term do we not?

Quote Originally Posted by acmariner99 View Post
    While I think this is good news, I think the bills that were dropped are merely a smokescreen for the true agenda of the gun grabbers in WA - and end to private sales and an eventual push for full registration. We all know what THAT would mean for us long term do we not?
    I won't dispute their agenda, but a "smokescreen" approach is useless. Considering how hysterical the NRA gets over imaginary threats, they're unlikely to somehow fail to notice the "real" legislation.

No, the concept of a "legislative smokescreen" makes little to no sense. This is their push.

Y'all give the antis too much credit, IMO. It's better to overestimate than to underestimate your enemy, yes, but then again, our enemy is a bunch of certifiable morons.

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    I won't dispute their agenda, but a "smokescreen" approach is useless. Considering how hysterical the NRA gets over imaginary threats, they're unlikely to somehow fail to notice the "real" legislation.

No, the concept of a "legislative smokescreen" makes little to no sense. This is their push.

Y'all give the antis too much credit, IMO. It's better to overestimate than to underestimate your enemy, yes, but then again, our enemy is a bunch of certifiable morons.
    I can't argue with that - sure it sounds silly, but I think their approach is to put even the most asinine restrictions possible on the table so they get something that appears "moderate" and "reasonable" through the cracks hoping we won't notice. All the while they pain us as extremists for being "uncompromising." Sadly, that strategy has a tendency to work on the mindless masses.
    Last edited by acmariner99; 02-25-2013 at 10:49 AM.

It ain't over, 'till it's over

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    According to a "Legislative Expert" on King 5 News last night, this only means there is a 97% chance the Bills will die. Supposedly there is still a chance bills like this can "rise from the dead" in the closing days of the session. Just like vampires, you have to have a "stake through their hearts" before they're really dead. That means that the final gavel has to fall on the session before we should all feel "safe".
    The report is accurate, but it is very infrequent that this would happen, especially with the 2013 make up of the Senate

http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/d...-state-senate/

Senator Roach, who is generally a 2A advocate is also viewed with some disdain by her own party and has been sanctioned....the whole deal is pretty fragile....but good if it holds.

.....Worse though, is the fact that any bill that is introduced has an automatic "shelf" life of two years...the current session and the next, even if it never exits the committee it was assigned.

Any and all of these bills can be picked up again in the upcoming 2014 session and depending on the 2014 make-up of the committee's and the two house's, political will and wind can change the whole prospect of any of these bills that we care about......While this is normal procedure, in this case IMHO, any movement of federal bills will allow the debate to pick up where it has left off and be further rationalized by the neccessity of "harmonization" of state to federal law....so, it's important to pay attention on the national level too.

This years session ends April 28....pre-filing of bills, begins again in late December....it never ends.
    Last edited by jt59; 02-25-2013 at 11:34 AM.
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat....Teddy Roosevelt

I sent a letter to Tim Sheldon thanking him for his fiscally conservative stance, and for not co-sponsoring ANY of the knee jerk reactionary gun control bills that came up this session.

I realize he is a token Democrat, but still, it took guts to go against the party that paid his way into office. Hes not in my district, but he deserves the encouragement none the less.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    I sent a letter to Tim Sheldon thanking him for his fiscally conservative stance, and for not co-sponsoring ANY of the knee jerk reactionary gun control bills that came up this session.

I realize he is a token Democrat, but still, it took guts to go against the party that paid his way into office. Hes not in my district, but he deserves the encouragement none the less.
    +1
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post

He used to represent my district until they gerrymandered me into getting stuck with the BI/Poulsbo anti-liberty types.

I've written to Sheldon before in the past asking him to stand up against these bad anti-freedom gun grabbing bills, and he wrote me back reiterating his stance in support of law abiding gun owners & freedom. As an independent (mostly libertarian) he's a democrat I'm proud to have voted for in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by DCKilla View Post
    He's a Demoncrat. He's just wired that way.
    IAALBIAAFTDPASNIPHCBCALA
    Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out. (John Corapi, The Black Sheep Dog)
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)