• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATTENTION: Automatic Weapons are NOT LEGAL TO OWN in the state of ARIZONA!

FunnyGuy92015

I simply wish to clear any misconceptions that automatic weapons/machine guns (as well as suppressors, short-barreled long guns, and nunchaku) are legal to own in the state of Arizona (which are also apparent on the "maps" section of the OpenCarry.org website), which is far from the truth.

According to the official website of the state of Arizona, many items are listed as "Prohibited Weapons", including (but not limited to | see the previous link for more details):

• A firearm that is capable of shooting more than one shot automatically, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
  • A device that is designed, made or adapted to muffle the report of a firearm.
  • A rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen inches, or shotgun with a barrel length of less than eighteen inches, or any firearm that is made from a rifle or shotgun and that, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
  • An instrument, including a nunchaku, that consists of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense.

Please spread word of this to clear aforementioned misconceptions and to inform the public that automatic weapons are prohibited weapons in the state of Arizona, as well as suppressors, short-barreled long guns, and nunchaku. Thank you.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
...Please spread word of this to clear aforementioned misconceptions and to inform the public that automatic weapons are prohibited weapons in the state of Arizona, as well as suppressors, short-barreled long guns, and nunchaku. Thank you.

To avoid spreading any new misconceptions, please note that all of the above except nunchaku are excepted from that definition if Federal NFA registry guidelines are followed:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/13/03101.htm&Title=13&DocType=ARS

B. The items set forth in subsection A, paragraph 8, subdivision (a), items (i), (ii), (iii) and (iv) of this section do not include any firearms or devices that are registered in the national firearms registry and transfer records of the United States treasury department or any firearm that has been classified as a curio or relic by the United States treasury department.

Very similar to many other states which mimic the Federal prohibition of unregistered NFA items.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Therefore if properly registered are LEGAL, yes? That has been my understanding.

Exactly. The OP seemed to be implying otherwise, as if there was no exception immediately following the portion of code he chose to emphasize.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Exactly. The OP seemed to be implying otherwise, as if there was no exception immediately following the portion of code he chose to emphasize.

Omission by intention has been done before. Not saying that was the case here.

Fallschirjmäger

Same thing in Georgia...
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-122
Possession of sawed-off shotgun or rifle, machine gun, silencer, or dangerous weapon prohibited

No person shall have in his possession any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer except as provided in Code Section 16-11-124.

Read further in the Georgia Code and you come to section 16-11-124 which reads in part:
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-124
Exemptions from application of part
This part shall not apply to:
(4) Possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer by a person who is authorized to possess the same because he has registered the sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act, 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862)

Guess what? I legally two short barreled rifles in Georgia.

sharkey

It's important when reading law that you read it in totality including definitions.

I'm glad ATM pointed you in that direction.

If you read through the Arizona Forum you will see that this has been addressed.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?104357-Arizona-Laws

Welcome to the forum. :)

I simply wish to clear any misconceptions that automatic weapons/machine guns (as well as suppressors, short-barreled long guns, and nunchaku) are legal to own in the state of Arizona (which are also apparent on the "maps" section of the OpenCarry.org website), which is far from the truth.

According to the official website of the state of Arizona, many items are listed as "Prohibited Weapons", including (but not limited to | see the previous link for more details):

• A firearm that is capable of shooting more than one shot automatically, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.
  • A device that is designed, made or adapted to muffle the report of a firearm.
  • A rifle with a barrel length of less than sixteen inches, or shotgun with a barrel length of less than eighteen inches, or any firearm that is made from a rifle or shotgun and that, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.
  • An instrument, including a nunchaku, that consists of two or more sticks, clubs, bars or rods to be used as handles, connected by a rope, cord, wire or chain, in the design of a weapon used in connection with the practice of a system of self-defense.

Please spread word of this to clear aforementioned misconceptions and to inform the public that automatic weapons are prohibited weapons in the state of Arizona, as well as suppressors, short-barreled long guns, and nunchaku. Thank you.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
ATTENTION: Motor vehicles are NOT LEGAL TO DRIVE in the state of ARIZONA!

Unless of course, you register it properly.

azcdlfred

Fully automatic firearms, short shotguns, silencers, etc. ARE legal to own in Arizona.

ARS 13-3101 is a section only containing DEFINITIONS that are used in other statutes.

You need to look at ARS 13-3102.C.4 that says who can possess "prohibited weapons." There you will see:

"A person specifically licensed, authorized or permitted pursuant to a statute of this state or of the United States."

Fred

MKEgal

Welcome to the forum.
FunnyGuy92015 said:
I simply wish to clear any misconceptions that automatic weapons/machine guns (as well as suppressors, short-barreled long guns, and nunchaku) are legal to own in the state of Arizona... which is far from the truth.
All of which has exactly zero to do with OC, unless you're fabulously wealthy & can find a G18 or one of the other vanishingly rare select-fire pistols.
And most of your statement is false, as shown by the posters before me.

Please review the forum rules.
Rule #8:
KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge".

Rule #14 LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Welcome to the forum.

All of which has exactly zero to do with OC, unless you're fabulously wealthy & can find a G18 or one of the other vanishingly rare select-fire pistols.

Rule #8:
KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge".

I thought some of the most common and least expensive select-fire weapons were firearms other than long guns, such as the MAC series firearms. You'd have to be equally wealthy to afford a select-fire long gun. And even then, many are obtainable for merely the price of a car and most people can afford a car. And the wealthy can OC too, right?

Also, suppressors are commonly used with pistols. Suppressors are safety devices that protect the shooter and bystanders from irreversible injury to the sensitive follicles of the ear due to loud noises.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by MKEgal

Welcome to the forum.

Rule #8:

I thought some of the most common and least expensive select-fire weapons were firearms other than long guns, such as the MAC series firearms. You'd have to be equally wealthy to afford a select-fire long gun. And even then, many are obtainable for merely the price of a car and most people can afford a car. And the wealthy can OC too, right?

Also, suppressors are commonly used with pistols. Suppressors are safety devices that protect the shooter and bystanders from irreversible injury to the sensitive follicles of the ear due to loud noises.

True enough.....up to a point.

Snipping from rule #14: "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." Going one step further, the desire is to focus on the typical style of handgun carried by a majority of practitioners. Conversation about other less typical styles i.e. MACs might be better located in the General Discussion sub-forum.

I am very much in favor of suppressors for hearing protection/sound abatement but do not see them as practical for normal, every day OC.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
True enough.....up to a point.

Snipping from rule #14: "This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life." Going one step further, the desire is to focus on the typical style of handgun carried by a majority of practitioners. Conversation about other less typical styles i.e. MACs might be better located in the General Discussion sub-forum.

I am very much in favor of suppressors for hearing protection/sound abatement but do not see them as practical for normal, every day OC.

I believe a suppressor would be practical for every day OC. In fact, that is one advantage of OC is that you are not limited to tiny little guns that can be hidden easily.

Yes, a suppressor adds length, but you could have a integrally suppressed Ruger MKII of shorter overall length than some of the massive revolvers I've seen people lug around. And that's assuming you want a big suppressor that makes it hearing safe. I think I have heard that the Ruger MKII with the Gemtech Oasis is only 11.75 inches long, which is only 2 inches longer than the gun I carry.

Gemtech-OASIS-Supressor-Pistol.jpg

They also sell super short suppressors. They aren't very popular because they have inferior noise reduction qualities, but if it were not for federal law making suppressor ownership such an incredible hassle I do believe short suppressors and integral suppression even to a lesser degree would be popular on firearms. Even if you only reduces the sound volume by 3 decibels, that is about half the sound energy. Either way it may cause permanent hearing loss, but you can be certain that a blast at 160 dB will cause more damage to your long term hearing capability than a blast at 157 dB.

That's one reason I generally prefer to carry .38 special in my revolver rather than .357 magnum.

Further, the suppressor will reduce the concussive effect of the blast. Especially indoors and in a tight area, I feel that the noise and blast from a firearm can be disorienting. Temporary hearing is likely to be to much greater degree than the long term permanent hearing loss and reduced hearing ability will reduce your ability to fight. A sound suppressor also does reduce muzzle flash, reducing the likelihood of being blinded if you shoot at night.

The only disadvantage I can see is the increased length which may potentially slow the draw, depending on holster design, and may also increase weigh.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
I'd love to carry a suppressed firearm, if it could be a 1911, and it didn't have to add multiple inches to the firearm.

Guess I won't be carrying a suppressed firearm. :cry: