• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Instructor requirements

prophecy8

Hello! I am new here, and I know this is an open carry forum but I had a concealed carry question. Does anyone know what you need to become a concealed carry instructor in Colorado? Like classes and such? What about military training? I am currently in the service now. Thanks for your help!!

RandyH

You can do what I did and become an NRA instructor. The state recognizes that for you to conduct a concealed carry class.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Colorado 18-12-203 (1) (h) said:
Demonstrates competence with a handgun by submitting:
(I) Evidence of experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competitions or current military service;
(II) Evidence that, at the time the application is submitted, the applicant is a certified instructor;
(III) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces within the three years preceding submittal of the application;
(IV) Proof of honorable discharge from a branch of the United States armed forces that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application;
(V) A certificate showing retirement from a Colorado law enforcement agency that reflects pistol qualifications obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application; or
(VI) A training certificate from a handgun training class obtained within the ten years preceding submittal of the application. The applicant shall submit the original training certificate or a photocopy thereof that includes the original signature of the class instructor. In obtaining a training certificate from a handgun training class, the applicant shall have discretion in selecting which handgun training class to complete.
So since any "handgun training class" would qualify a student, you need only become a first level NRA Pistol Instructor.

Last edited:

prophecy8

So since any "handgun training class" would qualify a student, you need only become a first level NRA Pistol Instructor.

Looking at what you posted, numbers one, three and four all say either experience with a firearm through military service or proof of honorable discharge that reflects pistol qualification. What is that from and is that to obtain a CCW or is that to become and instructor?

and randy, what class/ classes did you have to take to become an NRA instructor?

Thank you both for your help!

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Looking at what you posted, numbers one, three and four all say either experience with a firearm through military service or proof of honorable discharge that reflects pistol qualification. What is that from and is that to obtain a CCW or is that to become and instructor?...

That is to obtain the CCW. You would not be able to become the instructor that can give people those qualifications.

People who have served in the nation's military receive discharge papers when they leave. These papers will list if you have received qualifications on pistols (etc.) so can be used to document your qualifications for the permit.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...what class/ classes did you have to take to become an NRA instructor?...

You really only need one class.

NRA Pistol Instructor

It does not need to be taken as a student first, though you would be expected to be knowledgeable enough that you wouldn't have to.

Go here: http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx

In the second column are the courses for being an instructor. The third one down is for the pistol course. Put your ZIP Code at the bottom and it will tell you when the next scheduled classes are.

Last edited: