• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Refusing to Sell To Anti RKBA Municipalities

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Frederick Douglass said, “A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.
Good one! Hadn't heard that before. When did he say that? Lincoln Douglas debates?

tyc
A version that is close to the modern forms was introduced by Frederick Douglass, an escaped slave who became an influential public figure in the Union States and Great Britain before the Civil War, and had a long and distinguished career after the war. In a speech delivered on 15 November 1867, Douglass said "A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box.

However, the origins of the saying are much older. Stephen Decatur Miller may have originated the concept during a speech at Stateburg, South Carolina in September 1830. He said "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box". This became his campaign slogan in his successful bid for the Senate on a platform advocating the abolition of tariffs

Beowulf

I would venture to guess that he was referring to paper cartridges which had been around since the 1600s if not a bit earlier. They were fairly common all the way up to the Civil War.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dumb question - when were the first factory-made rifle/pistol cartridges made?
Was it really as early as 1830? Weren't they still using percussion caps back then?

There are no dumb questions.......... There are/were non-metallic cartidges in use as early as the mid 1500's.

Paper or linen cartridges are reported to have been used as early as the 1550s.
http://www.hackman-adams.com/guns/aboutpaper.htm

BOX, CARTRIDGE
Date: 1585
Accession Number: 29.158.701
http://metmuseum.org/collections/search-the-collections?ft=*&what=Cartridges

Civil War cartridge box