• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GOP bans guns at Republican State Convention

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
My crops aren't growing as well as they should. I think Horshack's memo would be ever so much more effective on my fields than the usual fertilizer.

Just remember; if it smells like strong manure, there's a professional politician nearby.....

Which reminds me, I hope he pursues this. (jk with the "he")

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
There has been dialog, both publicly and privately on the matter.

Bobby Schostak has issued this public statement:

I have issued this statement in response:

Phil, Thanks for taking this on. Sorry I missed you Saturday. I, being new to the delegate business, was sticking close to the 1st Dist designated area.
PS we are still planning for a presentation in Oscoda Co for April. Hope you can help us.springerdave.

edit to add opinion: The MiGOP Chair MUST keep in mind that he is only the Chair for the lack of 40 or so votes for his opponent. Nearly one half of the "R"'s there are true firearms supporters.

Last edited:

TheQ

UPDATE:

Brian Jeffs and I reviewed the contract at LEPFA HQ. The contract proper had no mention of guns. We reviewed various addendum to the contract that mentioned security, additional security (none of those clauses mentioned guns), and sticking adhesives to the walls -- but nothing about guns.

When we asked for a written copy of the gun policy, we got dumb looks. The LEPFA staffer said there is one (a policy) but didn't know where it was written down.

Brian has FOIA'd for a copy of the policy that was in writing at the time of the incident. More to come on that.

LEPFA's lawyer, Eric Doster, is also the MI GOP's "General Council" (that is, their lawyer). Eric Doster (who I talked to at the time under the understanding he was LEPFA's lawyer alone -- didn't know he was the GOP's lawyer until later in the week) is the first person from LEPFA to confirm there was a policy.