• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

thinking of new .45

357ruger

Last year my Ruger GP100 was stolen from my car right before my birthday
and I reported it to the ebr sherrif, lately I've been thinking of a new
springfield xdm .45 . Do any of ya'll have any suggestions for me?

DamonK

I would highly recommend an Olympic/Safari Arms 1911. They aren't the cheapest out there, but they are extremely accurate and very reliable. If you can get your hands on one that is. Or a SIG P220, they are fantastic.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

j4l

Can't go wrong with a Bersa Thunder UC Pro (my avatar) and the price tag won't give you sticker shock either.

^ another good one- considered one before I got my PT845, but the grips just didnt fit my hands well. may hard one for him to find though.
PT845 has proven extremely accurate, reliable and smooth-shooting for me. 12 round cap, DA or SA, with controls all in the same places as a 1911, Novak sights..

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Since you're drawn to the XD in .45ACP, you may want to consider the M&P 45 in one of its configurations. I have a version with the standard size frame and 4" barrel and the balance and feel is great.

Glock has some excellent choices in .45ACP so you may want to check those out as well. But frankly, my M&P 45 is my best feeling .45ACP I have or have handled.

Michigander

Glock has some excellent choices in .45ACP so you may want to check those out as well. But frankly, my M&P 45 is my best feeling .45ACP I have or have handled.

The difference is in the grip. The M&P generally fits best, but has the lowest capacity. The XD has the slimmer grip than the Glock, and the Glock SF models try and fail to keep up with either in my opinion in terms of a good feeling grip, but will fit well for many with medium to large hands. The Glock also will be the most reliable if horribly abused and neglected, but so long as you keep your guns clean ish that won't mean a thing.

Also note that trigger pull and grip size can be custom tweaked as you see fit. They're all good guns, that's why they sell so well, just gotta find the one that fits best. And depending on your hand size and other preferences and issues, the XD may be your ideal compromise between capacity and grip size.

mpguy

The difference is in the grip. The M&P generally fits best, but has the lowest capacity. The XD has the slimmer grip than the Glock, and the Glock SF models try and fail to keep up with either in my opinion in terms of a good feeling grip, but will fit well for many with medium to large hands. The Glock also will be the most reliable if horribly abused and neglected, but so long as you keep your guns clean ish that won't mean a thing.

Also note that trigger pull and grip size can be custom tweaked as you see fit. They're all good guns, that's why they sell so well, just gotta find the one that fits best. And depending on your hand size and other preferences and issues, the XD may be your ideal compromise between capacity and grip size.

Carry a extra mag if your worried about capacity. Most people in my opinion should not need over 3-5 rounds to do the job.

Not knocking anyone who carries bigger magazines, just to me, it gives me more reason to go practice.

Just my .02

.45 or bust

Michigander

Considering that the bulk of fights take place after dark, quite often with multiple assailants, most often at arms reach, and most often only taking a few seconds, I would say you should want every advantage you can get. Including practicing a lot, and including carrying spare magazines.

But why sell yourself short? Why not seek as much capacity and power as you can handle and still have speed and accuracy?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I just wrote a thread on another gun website this morning that addresses magazine capacity and extra magazines. Here is an excerpt from that post.

"That extra magazine on your weak side is not going to be your friend if and when the shooting starts and you are facing your opponents who need to be dispatched like RIGHT NOW. It will only be your friend if there is a momentary cessation of fire, enough so that you can do a tactical reload (think cover and/or concealment). During the seconds of heated gunfire, it's what is in your handgun that matters."

Here's the link if you're interested in reading the rest of the post.

http://www.handgunforum.net/general...apacity-magazines-sd-handguns.html#post285254

Last edited:

jrj_51

I just wrote a thread on another gun website this morning that addresses magazine capacity and extra magazines. Here is an excerpt from that post.

"That extra magazine on your weak side is not going to be your friend if and when the shooting starts and you are facing your opponents who need to be dispatched like RIGHT NOW. It will only be your friend if there is a momentary cessation of fire, enough so that you can do a tactical reload (think cover and/or concealment). During the seconds of heated gunfire, it's what is in your handgun that matters."

Here's the link if you're interested in reading the rest of the post.

http://www.handgunforum.net/general...apacity-magazines-sd-handguns.html#post285254

I was thinking the same thing. We all carry because at some point we asked "What if..." and we realized we may not be ready for an unpredictable event. Well, "What if" you need more than 3-5 rounds and you have no opportunity for a reload? I've seen a quote somewhere about never coming away from a gunfight wishing you had brought a smaller gun. Seems appropriate here. Btw, I carry an XDM .45 and love it, but the premium over the XD being worth it is debatable.

WalkingWolf

I carry extra magazines, and find them very useful to stop bad guys in their tracks. You would be amazed how showing a BG a Hustler magazine will distract him long enough to get away or stop him. But you should carry the magazine in your hand and be ready to deploy it immediately. Might not be a bad idea to also carry a Play Girl just in case the Bad Guy is actually a Bad Girl.

Sorry couldn't resist.

sdnet

My suggestion is you rent a couple 45 caliber guns at your local gun range and see what feels the best for you. Everybody has an opinion, but only you can decide what gun is right - for you. I personally like the Glock 30, but that doesn't mean you will.

KDaubert

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your GP100. For what it's worth I love my XDm .45, it goes bang every time that I pull the trigger with out any miss-feeds or stove pipes (it will even cycle with a CCI shot shell in case you are in snake country). Other than that I don't know what to say about it because as long as it's more accurate than me I'm a happy person.

Bahabandit

XD-45 is a good choice. It is a very reliable gun. I am looking at a FN FNP-45. Its a little pricier that the XD but holds 15+1 of 45!

McLintock

Ruger just came out with the SR45, it a 10+1 cap. and I like my SR40 so I would think it would be about the same(only a bigger round though), but if I was getting a .45 it would be the SR1911, oh wait I'am😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADobbs1989

I love my Gen 4 G21 .45. Never used an XD so I'm not sure what they are like. I know you can't really beat the reliability of a Glock though, and personally I really like the way they look.

tomrkba

My vote:

photo-11.jpg

I do not recommend small guns in 45 ACP due to high felt recoil. Take a look at:

SIG P220
SIG P220 Carry
S&W M&P 45 Compact
HK USP 45 Compact

Avoid the 1911 unless you know what you are doing and have the money to modify and maintain it.

FreeInAZ

Could always go with the FNH FNX-45 (15+1) USA made with backstraps that can be swapped out for a better hand fit. They aren't cheap but they run. I really like mine so far but need to get more rounds down range before I talk it up too much. In the end most modern 45's are going to serve you well. Even the lowly Hi-Point JHP (9+1) will do the job nicely. I own two & they run well & shoot as straight as many well known high end 45's. Others say find a range and rent/shoot as many 45's you can. They are right it's the only way to know what fits & shoots best for you.