• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hi I'm looking to write a paper on Open Carry, please watch this video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunnonut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1UkfirtoDQ

A few questions for you supporters of open carry:

1. How do you think the person being stopped for open carry handled the situation?

2. How do you think the police stopping this individual for open carry handled the situation?

3. What do you think of the narrative summation at the beginning of the video (might want to rewind, pause and read it)?

eye95

1. He talked too much and was annoying. Too much arguing the law with the officers. He should have just told them that he did not consent to any searches or seizures, kept asking if he was free to go, and kept recording. He wasn't ever going to convince the officers, and his behavior is not going to win any folks over to the cause that weren't already on his side. He'll get a lot of rah-rahs from folks who already agree with him, but that does not help.

2. The only law-breaking going on was on the part of the officers.

3. Not necessary. The video speaks for itself.

One more thing, refusing to identify oneself is dangerous. In this case, it was probably OK because the officers specifically stated that he was stopped only because folks called in and reported the man with a gun, which we all know does not constitute RAS.

However, let me run this scenario by you: An officer stops you while you are OCing and clearly not doing anything along with it that would constitute RAS. He asks you to identify yourself as most State laws would allow him to do if he has RAS and stopping you for investigation of the crime for which he has RAS. You do not provide identification because you are sure he does not have that RAS, because you are doing nothing to provide that RAS. He asks again. You ask why your are being detained. You ask what RAS he has. You ask if you are free to go. He answers none of these questions. He just continues to ask for ID. You continue to refuse.

Eventually, he asks you to turn around and put your hands behind your back. He cuffs you and informs you that you are under arrest for obstruction (or whatever the crime is for failing to identify yourself is in your State). You smugly think that you are building up a nice lawsuit.

In court, your lawyer argues that the officer did not have RAS because the mere act of lawful carry cannot, in and of itself, be RAS. The prosecution argues that the officer had RAS because a citizen called in saying that, not only were you carrying, but that you shouted threats and repeatedly handled your firearm (lies, of course). Your lawyer argues that those statements weren't true, so RAS did not exist.

I guarantee that the judge will find that RAS existed, that you were lawfully detained, that you were required to provide, that you failed to do so when required by law, and were therefore guilty of ____________. He will tell you that the officer did not have to articulate his RAS to you, that he only had to be able to articulate his reasonable suspicion.

The point is that, unless the officer is stupid enough to tell you that the only reason he stopped you is that you were legally carrying, you don't know whether he has RAS!!!

Ask if you are free to go. If the officer does not answer, start to leave, but be prepared to stop instantly. If he says yes, leave post haste. If he says no, you are detained, possibly illegally, but you do not know. Follow all the laws as though you were lawfully detained. Fix an illegal detention after the fact.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You wanna be a hero and argue the law? Become a lawyer and do it in court.

"Am I being detained?"

later, "Am I free to go?"

If asked for ID, say "<name>, I live in X city/county (unless your state law requires you to give a street address). Some folks disagree and recommend giving the satreet address up front. OK with me. YMMV.

Followed by "Please state your name and badge number." If you get some BS about reading his name plate & badge, tell him you are illiterate.

Want to touch my handgun? "I would prefer to take my belt off and have you take it while it remains in the holster." Then do whatever the cop says.

As for your question #3 - What ay to turn both sides, plus the undecided, against you and prove you are one of those loons that goes around looking to create a connfrontation with cops.

Now, how are my answers going to help you write this paper? Will it be for or against OC?

stay safe.

mtbinva

1. How do you think the person being stopped for open carry handled the situation?

While he was right, he talked WAY to much.

2. How do you think the police stopping this individual for open carry handled the situation?

Very poorly. Ignorance of the law is not a defense, works both ways. The LEO's were breaking the law.

3. What do you think of the narrative summation at the beginning of the video (might want to rewind, pause and read it)?

While correct, and the point being made, comes off confrontational.

MKEgal

Welcome to OCDO.
Gunnonut said:
A few questions for you supporters of open carry
Just to be friendly, how about you introduce yourself, explain the background of your request, the purpose of the paper, etc.

I remember one person in a similar situation who said he was in high school, first used the search function, then introduced himself, asked questions, posted drafts to google & links for us to read & asked for critiques, etc.
He was well received.

Gunnonut

I've withheld my intentions simply to remain true to the unbiased and neutral grounds on which I asked the questions.

I've read the rules, I haven't broken any. This isn't a spam post or anything that I might have been able to search for using the search function. Thank you for pointing it out though.

Just looking for some feedback from this target demograph. (In which I'm referring to in the first post as "Open Carry supporters".

Bpdenverco

Could have been diffrent

I've withheld my intentions simply to remain true to the unbiased and neutral grounds on which I asked the questions.

I've read the rules, I haven't broken any. This isn't a spam post or anything that I might have been able to search for using the search function. Thank you for pointing it out though.

Just looking for some feedback from this target demograph. (In which I'm referring to in the first post as "Open Carry supporters".
He needs practice being stopped, he was correct, but just to nervous. Would have been better if he was a lawyer. They know how to shoot their mouth off under pressure.

But as a CCW holder, I would offer the same information. NONE.....

scott58dh

Another OC vid by Markedguardian

:arrow:;Markedguardian ,,, link to another vid by same "LAC" ,,, :arrow: ;;; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucz2n0BmHz0

This was quite interesting, yet, each day will bring it's own events to deal with.

If your lookin' for the 15 mins of fame that others seem to believe is OK to randomly do, then maybe you could find a different *Hobby*.

Like the LEO said in the 1st vid, "We have to deal with a lot of nut jobs out here !" The Clackamas Town Center Mall was an eye opener.

Then I just found THIS Recent shooting ... "Police kill man armed with gun at Portland Adventist Medical Center." ,,,"""During the search, several officers encountered the man and shots were fired, Simpson said. Specific details of the shooting have not been released."""
:arrow:,,,link;;; http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/loca...-Portland-Adventi/zk3vXVrL1Ee3O-IwEUAWKA.cspx <<<

If your are legitimately attempting to make a Public Issue of OCing, then you should try to make an effort to get Like minded people, organize a **2A Rally** at a Park, advertise thru various means & get the power of the people to back you up.

The scriptures say in 1 Corinthians 6:12: "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient "
:

*It* my seem like the best thing to do with the most sincere intentions, but let some "" Common Sense "" rule the day by first asking yourself would You want to have someone make an issue out of an incident by which You just lost someone that You Love by a means which is controlled only by the state of mind of the individual at the moment of choosing between Life & Death of Innocent Bystanders ?

I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, but in all reality YOU ARE The "NRA" that Most LAC's have never seen.

Please, consider the cause that you are representing & really think about what is going on Now.

Peace & RKBA 4ever !

Last edited by a moderator:

OC for ME

This is a recurring topic on OCDO. Using the OCDO search function can be a challenge, but the video is neither "new" nor is it required to address the central issue you postulate.

I did not watch that video because I have seen videos like that before.....same story, different actors. The feed back you seek has been post many many time before here on OCDO.

MKEgal

scott58dh said:
If you are legitimately attempting to make a public issue of OCing, then you should try to make an effort to get like-minded people, organize a 2A rally at a park, advertise through various means & get the power of the people to back you up.
There are different ways to educate the public.
Many of us here simply go about our regular daily business while OC, showing people that we're normal everyday folks. Very low-key activism.
There are times when the more organized, public, in-your-face method you advocate is appropriate.
I've done both.

Gunnonut said:
I've read the rules, I haven't broken any.
Never said you did. I did, however, ask for more information, which you're not willing to share. That makes me wonder about the purpose of your request, and not in a good way.

Just looking for some feedback from this target demograph. (Which I'm referring to in the first post as "Open Carry supporters".)
You've gotten some, and if you look for similar questions across the fora here you can find more of the same. See below.

OC for ME said:
This is a recurring topic on OCDO...
The feedback you seek has been posted many many times before here on OCDO.
What he said.

LEGAL///EAGLE

Markedguardian creates and looks forward to these types of police encounters. It appears to me that he is baiting the police into doing something wrong in order to score some cash in a lawsuit. The question is somewhat misleading. Warren wasn't stopped for open carry. A call was placed to the department for a suspicious individual. A citizen was alarmed at the sight of his ridiculous display. He was not stopped simply for open carry. He handled the situation as he always does. He attempts to argue constitutional law and statutes to police officers that are obviously not interested. Had he not been known by one of the two responding officers I believe this stop could have ended very differently.

This coming from someone who really doesn't care much for the police department - They handled it perfectly.

I think Markedguardian is being ridiculous - childish and laughable.

And if you voted for Ron Paul or supported him in any way you wasted your time, money and vote - Not that your vote matters

Last edited:

LEGAL///EAGLE

What ridiculous display?

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean others won't find it ridiculous. Some people may find the open display of a pistol and a Ron Paul sign and a hunting rifle as suspicious, or scary. It may anger some people. I find it ridiculous. It amuses me.

eye95

Just because others find it ridiculous is no reason not to do it.

I see a functional purpose to it, so I OC. I don't do it to bait cops, but God help the one who harasses me without his department taking appropriate action, because I will move heaven and earth making sure that consequences are assessed. So far, I have been detained twice. I have apology on record from the city attorney in Montgomery and the Deputy Chief adjusted training accordingly.

So, I don't give a rat's ass what you think about my OC. I think it is ridiculous that you come on to a board dedicated to the exercise of a right and mock it. But, guess what? You are free to do so. My thinking that it is ridiculous should mean nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hi I'm looking to write a paper on Open Carry
--snipped--

You present a video and ask us to critique the actions of others while withholding information about your intent and purpose. Your "paper" is being written for what target audience. College assignment? With what parameters? You leave entirely too much out and use as your defense you haven't broken any rules.

Well, sir, yes you have. The rule of common courtesy and forthright disclosure. We expect people to introduce themselves and explain what they want and why. They also disclose what country/state in which they reside. From what class the work has been assigned or for what periodical they are writing. In short, they are up front with the facts.

There is no way that I foresee that your 3 questions will provide anything meaningful for a "paper" except for an opportunity to quote people out of context - for what purpose I know not.

Until you can be more forthcoming and open with us, I recommend no further participation.

LEGAL///EAGLE

I think it is ridiculous that you come on to a board dedicated to the exercise of a right and mock it.

<o>

When and where did I mock open carry? OC has a purpose and thank "god" it is (somewhat) legal in America. I don't side with activist or anyone who would actively seek an apology. What is done is done. I was very careful in my wording when responding to Warren, just as those officers where very careful in there handling of him.

We expect people to introduce themselves and explain what they want and why.

I'm LEGAL///EAGLE and I don't want anything from you. :)

Good luck with your paper, kid.

The questions asked seem to be more concerned with action than mind-set. I would try to focus my paper on the mind-set of both the police and the "activist". What was the police officers main goals? What was Warren's main goal? Was he promoting Open Carry? Was his main goal promoting Ron Paul? In my opinion he did a terrible job at both and the police accomplished theirs.

Last edited:

eye95

You, sir, called the act of exercising the unadorned Right something that we should not do because another might think it "ridiculous." Your right to think that and say that. My right to think, as a result, that all you have to say is ridiculous and not worth my time.

I now know all I need to about your POV. The rest would merely be dressing un an unappetizing salad. Maybe in a few months I'll check out what you have to say and see if you have learned anything from posting here. Moving on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

LEGAL///EAGLE

You, sir, called the act of exercising the unadorned Right something that we should not do because another might think it "ridiculous." Your right to think that and say that. My right to think, as a result, that all you have to say is ridiculous and not worth my time.

I now know all I need to about your POV. The rest would merely be dressing un an unappetizing salad. Maybe in a few months I'll check out what you have to say and see if you have learned anything from posting here. Moving on.

<o>

You, "sir" are putting words in my mouth and I don't like anyone putting anything in my mouth. I choose what comes out of and goes into my mouth. Don't get **** hurt because I don't represent your way of thinking about this situation. There is more than one way to approach a situation such as this. ****** ** ** *****- plain and simple. I didn't want to come right out and say this but now I can't help but state facts. He is an activist with an agenda. Like I said I do not side with any activist. His agenda does not represent the entire OC community. He is not a representative of me. Had I been in a similar situation do you think I would ignorantly interrupt a police officer with meaningless dribble? No. I work the system. I know how to OC and stay off the Youtubes and police radar.

MOVING ON

Last edited by a moderator:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Grapeshot

We expect people to introduce themselves and explain what they want and why.

I'm LEGAL///EAGLE and I don't want anything from you. :)

Good luck with your paper, kid.

The questions asked seem to be more concerned with action than mind-set. I would try to focus my paper on the mind-set of both the police and the "activist". What was the police officers main goals? What was Warren's main goal? Was he promoting Open Carry? Was his main goal promoting Ron Paul? In my opinion he did a terrible job at both and the police accomplished theirs.

Quoting out of context to make it appear differently is a violation of forum rules.

You have some knowledge that he is a "kid" - do you know that he is not an adult who might be old enough to have kids of his own?

The video is an old one and his been discussed before here - see no need to do it all again.
Nevertheless I will give the OP an opportunity to explain more clearly what the motivation might be and how he expects our opinions to provide data for a "paper" of an undisclosed target audience.

Holding in abeyance a decision regarding this thread.

MKEgal

LE said:
It appears to me that he is baiting the police into doing something wrong in order to score some cash in a lawsuit.
And the officers can avoid that embarrassment by simply following the law & their training. (Hopefully their training includes simple things like "follow the law".)

LE said:
Warren wasn't stopped for open carry.
A call was placed to the department for a suspicious individual.
A citizen was alarmed at the sight of his ridiculous display.
Since his exercise of Constitutionally-protected rights [1A & 2A] was the reason someone involved the police, how do you conclude that they were not also the reason he was stopped?

LE said:
He attempts to argue constitutional law and statutes to police officers that are obviously not interested.
It's sad that the officers didn't want to know things that would help them not only do their job better, but avoid being included in civil rights suits. Once people think they know everything, they stop developing, even start backsliding.

LE said:
Had he not been known by one of the two responding officers I believe this stop could have ended very differently.
You think other officers would have done illegal things to him (or worse illegal things... I haven't watched the video)? And why would the one officer knowing him cause any deviation in their following of their training?

LE said:
OC has a purpose and thank "god" it is (somewhat) legal in America.
It's legal in most states, to varying degrees. Most places it's a protected right, some places it's infringed (a license is required), a very few places prohibit it entirely or restrict it so badly that it may as well not exist.

I don't side with activist [sic] or anyone who would actively seek an apology.
If people don't speak up when things are wrong, they won't get changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.