• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

law enforcement officers safety act improvements act of 2010 HR218

LOERetired

I was wondering how many do we have on this site carrying under HR218 law enforcement officers safety act improvements act of 2010 and if you have had to show your ID and if so, if you had any issues with it with the LEO's.

I got stopped several times when I lived in Baraboo and showed it to them and didn't have any issues with the LEO's knowing about it. I have yet to be stopped out of state which should be interesting as I carry everywhere I go.

I carry open in this state, however when I get in my vehicle I leave it on my side as I get in the vehicle as then I would be carrying concealed, I'm just waiting for LEO to see me get in my vehicle going from open to concealed carry keeping it strapped to my side and for them to stop me, which should be interesting.

I would immagine that anyone who has a CCW with Wisconsin does the same.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Never been stopped or asked about it so I could't tell your if there is any trouble.

I know that when I read Marylands law they wanted you to carry all kinds of proof beside your retirement creds and cert card.

Personally I try and advoid hard core anti gun states and areas. Most of them have nothing I need to see there anyway. I like to travel in wild areas and most of the states that have them are very gun friendly.

pkbites

I've never ran into any problems from another LEO. And I've carried openly and concealed in several states. I even took my Glock with me to NYC and didn't have a problem with it. (some folks on this board and another had conniptions about it).

Last edited:

Motofixxer

I think that professional courtesy comes into play a lot in these types of scenarios. That's why we likely don't hear very much about it. But boy when off duty officer's get kicked out or denied entry etc boy do they make a big deal of it. I have read in NYC and Philly they harass even off duty officers of other departments or states.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I only carry open, and if I decided to conceal I would get a permit to avoid any possible hassle. Besides the fact I think it is wrong because I am a retired police officer I should have more opportunity for safety than those who are not. And RLEO have to follow the same laws as civilians. I had a CHP let it drop after the law passed, may have to get one again if the continued numpties in the legislature keep trying to tie open carry rights to privilege cards.

WalkingWolf

I've never ran into any problems from another LEO. And I've carried openly and concealed in several states. I even took my Glock with me to NYC and didn't have a problem with it. (some folks on this board and another had conniptions about it).

I am not doubting you but I have not read any conniptions, could you post links?

pkbites

I am not doubting you but I have not read any conniptions, could you post links?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ing-my-Glock-to-NYC-Will-there-be-any-hassles

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=623979

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=624089

I should know better than to ask a board full of liberals for advice about carrying. I was just looking to see if anyone has ever taken their pistol to NYC.

I also posted on a police board but as of now I can't find it.

WalkingWolf

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...ing-my-Glock-to-NYC-Will-there-be-any-hassles

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=623979

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=624089

I should know better than to ask a board full of liberals for advice about carrying. I was just looking to see if anyone has ever taken their pistol to NYC.

I also posted on a police board but as of now I can't find it.
First off I am probably the last person on here that would be considered a liberal, because I asked a question as to something I had not seen it only shows ignorance to assume.

Now the only thread I looked at was the OCDO thread as that is what you referenced to "conniption", and while I saw some discussion I did not see it, but I did not and do not intend on spending hours searching a thread for one or two instances you claim is there. You do know you can link the specific post don't you? IMO your post above appears more like a "conniption" to me. You also have to consider that to non RLEO's the law is a insult, there is no doubt about that. So what did you expect, what do you expect now? I don't get it, take your paperwork and your gun, and don't gloat and then whimper because you don't like the reaction. You were a cop, you should be able to read and understand law, if you don't you should have never been a cop. And when it all boils down to it, if you have a serious question, you should not be asking us, you should be reading my signature line below.

Last edited:

pkbites

First off I am probably the last person on here that would be considered a liberal, because I asked a question as to something I had not seen it only shows ignorance to assume.

I was referring to the links to the Straight Dope Board. It's about 90% liberal. But there are some cops on it from out east. I thought maybe someone had experience flying into NYC with a pistol.

You were a cop

Still am.

you should be able to read and understand law

I certainly can. My inquiry was whether or not NYC officers do. I was asking to see if others had any experiences. The majority of these threads are people posting about their experiences and asking others about theirs.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I was referring to the links to the Straight Dope Board. It's about 90% liberal. But there are some cops on it from out east. I thought maybe someone had experience flying into NYC with a pistol.

I was asking for others experiences. The majority of these threads are people posting about their experiences. I certainly know the law. I was just curious if there was going to be any hassles in Bloombergs NYC.
Asking that is not a form of ignorance.

You should be on the NYS sub forum with this, if you are really concerned you should contacting a NYS attorney. Experiences of strangers really means jack when your butt is on the line. This person could get a steak dinner and a pat on the back, another might find himself in cuffs until his background is researched. The law does not give you privileges ordinary citizens do not have as far as restrictions where you can carry, I assume you know this. You could still find your tit in a wringer if you get pulled over in a GFSZ.

Just personally if it was me, I would just leave the gun at home or stay out of NYS. But that is me not you, it is up to you to make a decision based on what you are comfortable with. If you don't mind a possible hassle, go for it.

Remember when you are criticizing liberals though, that Teddy Kennedy was one of the people responsible for that law. I am not exactly sure what he was thinking, but it was both liberals and conservatives that pushed it through.

And I realize I should have been addressing the OP instead of you, sorry about that. After all he was the one originally asking.

Last edited:

pkbites

You should be on the NYS sub forum with this.

Pay a bit of attention and you'll see that it was in the NYS forum.

And it was almost a year and a half ago. I took my Glock, flew to, and then later out of Laguardia. Had no problems. Also had no problems while carrying in Manhattan.

Didn't OC there, though.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

So? I'm supposed to lay off the liberal gun grabbers for doing me one favor that, at the same time, kicks other law abiding gun owners in the nuts?

As far as this law is concerned both sides are responsible for it, I am not a fan of liberals but I believe in being honest. And another problem with just pinning everything on liberals is that conservative politicians tend to become more liberal when liberals have less influence, such as happened during the Bush administration.

pkbites

As far as this law is concerned both sides are responsible for it, I am not a fan of liberals but I believe in being honest. And another problem with just pinning everything on liberals is that conservative politicians tend to become more liberal when liberals have less influence, such as happened during the Bush administration.

You're mistaking party and ideologies.

I never once mentioned any particular political party.

Nor did I mention the word "conservative". I never once endorsed any political position or party on this thread, only disparaged a political position. Didn't endorse another, did I? Did I?

Chiurato

Parole Agents problems with documentation HR218

In Illinois Parole Agents are considered peace officers by stature and also fit the definitions in HR218 however the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) refuses to complete the verification of employment form that is required by IROC (Illinois Retired Officer Concealed Carry Program) which is managed by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.

I further see in the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 (S. 1132)

(c) RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS.—Section 926C of
title 18, United States Code is amended—
described in subsection (d)(1);’’;
(2) in subsection (d)—
(A) paragraph (1)—
(ii) in subparagraph (B), by striking ‘‘that
indicates’’ and all that follows through the period and
inserting ‘‘or by a certified firearms instructor that
is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test
for active duty officers within that State that indicates
that the individual has, not less than 1 year before
the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm,
been tested or otherwise found by the State or
a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct
a firearms qualification test for active duty officers

I am assuming here retired agents go to a certified firearms instructor to qualify but the problem still exists of where one would get documentation and be entered into the national database.

Some agents are talking about entering into litigation with the state but as we all know this can be a costly and time consuming effort. I plan to contact the FOP and legislators on both the state and federal level to lean on IDOC but am looking for any other suggestions you all may have. Thanks in advance.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I am assuming here retired agents go to a certified firearms instructor to qualify but the problem still exists of where one would get documentation and be entered into the national database..

As far as I know there is no national data base to check to you have some ref. to this.

MKEgal

cowboyridn said:
...when I get in my vehicle I leave it on my side as I get in the vehicle as then I would be carrying concealed, I'm just waiting for LEO to see me get in my vehicle going from open to concealed carry keeping it strapped to my side and for them to stop me, which should be interesting.
:banghead:
That's the whole problem. There are still people relying on old case law, instead of the current real laws.
That ruling was made before the WI Constitutional amendment protecting RKBA, before Act 35 changed the transport statute for pistols, and before (can't remember the number) the other Act changed the transport statute for long guns.
At best, the situation is confusing & the legislature needs to clarify that simply getting into a car does not magically make OC into cc.

LOERetired

Firearms training

The Federal Department of Justice Bureau of Prisons also refuses to provide paperwork, however they did provide the credentials (Picture ID). All you need is credentials and to qualify yearly for your firearms utilizing the same qualifications you had when you worked for the department. Those of us who are retired get qualified through a former CO who is a NRA firearms instructor for Wisconsin HR218 states “a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers” in other words, if you can get the firearm qualification parameters from the department you worked for and have a instructor qualify you to those perimeters you can carry concealed without having to qualify to state standards.

There is no requirment to be entered into the national database, I''ve not had a problem with LEO when showing them my Federal Concealed Carry credentials.

In Illinois Parole Agents are considered peace officers by stature and also fit the definitions in HR218 however the Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) refuses to complete the verification of employment form that is required by IROC (Illinois Retired Officer Concealed Carry Program) which is managed by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.

I further see in the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 (S. 1132)

(2) in subsection (d)—
(A) paragraph (1)—

I am assuming here retired agents go to a certified firearms instructor to qualify but the problem still exists of where one would get documentation and be entered into the national database.

Some agents are talking about entering into litigation with the state but as we all know this can be a costly and time consuming effort. I plan to contact the FOP and legislators on both the state and federal level to lean on IDOC but am looking for any other suggestions you all may have. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

LOERetired

ID

Email me and I'll send you a copy of my ID and firearms qualification so you can see what it states, you can word yours the same.

drm2134@yahoo.com

(2) in subsection (d)—
(A) paragraph (1)—

WalkingWolf

Why don't you fight for the rights of everybody instead of just yourself. IL is about to get concealed or/and open carry, with considerably less hassle than LEOSA. YOU and I do not deserve more rights, or more safety than our non RLEO brothers and sisters. I can't understand anybody who takes a oath to the constitution thinking this law is a good thing, unless they are being selfish.