• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now's our chance to help the Open Carry effort in Arkansas

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
The author of the Open Carry bill in Arkansas (HB1408) has asked for help. Representative Sue Scott has asked for people to call, fax and email Speaker Davy Carter. Speaker Carter has expressed his opposition to open carry, and his opposition is based on nothing but typical anti-open carry stereotypes and myths.

According to an Associated Press story published on the Arkansas Business website, Carter, R-Cabot, told reporters this week, “I don’t want to live in a world where everybody is walking around with holsters on their hips and carrying guns out in the open.”

As you may know, a Speaker of the House in a state legislature wields great power in deciding which bills are heard or allowed to advance through the process. OCDO supporters can call, fax or email Speaker Carter and either educate him on open carry in other states, or simply tell him that you support open carry and want him to be fair with this bill. Nothing says that you need to be an Arkansas resident to share your views with a legislator.

Please take a moment to send an email, fax and/or a phone call to Speaker Carter.

More information at 5newsonline.com

Email davy.carter@arkansashouse.org
Phone 501-941-8946
Fax 501-641-4241

KBCraig

Not really understanding why this was moved to the AR forum where nobody will see it. It was not intended for an Arkansas audience.

Yet another unannounced moderator decision made with no explanation.

I completely understand that moderators, including those who are unknown, can make decisions like that. At the very least, though, they owe an explanation to those involved, and to the general readership so they'll understand the rules and not repeat the mistake.

JDPrice

Bryan,

I have been following the 746 for some time. I agree we should help our neighbors in any way we can. Their new law does have some grey area, but not enough for LEO's to make up their own rules.

press1280

Question here: Since there seems to be ambiguity on this issue (AG saying OC not legal), can a lawsuit be filed w/o having to wait until someone's arrested? Can someone get standing w/o taking the plunge so to speak?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not really understanding why this was moved to the AR forum where nobody will see it. It was not intended for an Arkansas audience.

Perhaps that point was missed.

Now it's in "News and Political Alerts."

Last edited:

georg jetson

Question here: Since there seems to be ambiguity on this issue (AG saying OC not legal), can a lawsuit be filed w/o having to wait until someone's arrested? Can someone get standing w/o taking the plunge so to speak?

Whenever there's ambiguity in law, typically a lawsuit can be filed and remedy sought(usually an injunction). In my state this is called a declaratory judgement and is found in the rules of civil procedure:

Art. 1871. Declaratory judgments; scope

Courts of record within their respective jurisdictions may declare rights, status, and other legal relations whether or not further relief is or could be claimed. No action or proceeding shall be open to objection on the ground that a declaratory judgment or decree is prayed for; and the existence of another adequate remedy does not preclude a judgment for declaratory relief in cases where it is appropriate. The declaration shall have the force and effect of a final judgment or decree.

Look up the rules for your state.