View Poll Results: Do you support universal background checks?

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

3 4.62%
  • No.

28 43.08%
  • Undecided.

0 0%
  • I think background checks should not be required to purchase a firearm at all.

34 52.31%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you support universal background checks?

Do you support universal background checks?

Please vote. Even if you don't comment.

So I keep hearing how 89% of gun owners support universal background checks and other controls. I don't buy it. I think they polled around 3,000 people to get that number but I'm not really sure how they got it, just going by what I've heard. I tried posting a poll on another popular forum to see what the board members though and after over 1100 views it has received 55 votes. I am hoping we can do better than that here.
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12

Banned
    Background checks should not be required at all.

Law enforcement is not about hassling everyone, including the law-abiding, to try to prevent bad guys from breaking the law. You can't stop the bad guys. They will find a way to do whatever they want.

Law enforcement is about holding folks accountable for laws they break after they break them.

Until you catch me breaking the law (you won't ever, cuz I don't), leave me the ____ alone.

Not at all.

ONLY the good guys will submit. Brady Campaign brags about how many are denied, and then are silent about how many of those are in error. Those who are correctly denied still buy from the black market, just like most of those who are going to do evil anyway.

Background checks should be reserved for truly dangerous items like copies of Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Seriously, did you know that impressionable young people can just read that kind of Libertarian sci-fi literature in a public library?!?!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    ...So I keep hearing how 89% of gun owners support universal background checks and other controls. ...
    "Reporter" to Gun Owner: Sir, do you support criminals buying guns?
    Gun Owner: Of course not!

"Reporter" to Staff: Put another one down for background checks!
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Do you support universal background checks?

How would they know if private citizens were performing background checks for private sales without gun registration?

In order to tell if a firearm has changed hands they would need to first have proof of the original owner.

Universal background checks is the first step to national registration.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangopapa View Post
    How would they know if private citizens were performing background checks for private sales without gun registration?

In order to tell if a firearm has changed hands they would need to first have proof of the original owner.

Universal background checks is the first step to national registration.
    Gee; I'll bet the Dem-o-craps pushing for it never thought of that

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    As I've said before ... if the background check were truly a background check, it would not require information on the firearm.

What we have now are transaction checks.

I might support (depending on the implementation) a true background check that was backed up by real protections for the citizens, including due process and transparency of source documents.

The checks just do not work, and even if they did the criminals would then use knives, or ball bats. It would not make any difference at all, and possibly create even more crime for the criminal that feels he must have a firearm. Gun bans, and registration has failed to stop violent crime in other countries. What does stop crime is strict severe punishment like China has.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Banned
    If you answered "No," did you read and consider the last choice?

I would ask you to consider that answer and, if you choose, change to it.

I checked off, "I think background checks should not be required to purchase a firearm at all."

It bears repeating... the US Constitution is a LIMIT on the USofA, not the individual. The individual is not bound to the US Constitution unless they took an oath to defend it as a condition of employment by the USofA.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Background checks should not be required at all.

Law enforcement is not about hassling everyone, including the law-abiding, to try to prevent bad guys from breaking the law. You can't stop the bad guys. They will find a way to do whatever they want.

Law enforcement is about holding folks accountable for laws they break after they break them.

Until you catch me breaking the law (you won't ever, cuz I don't), leave me the ____ alone.
    This!!
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    "Reporter" to Gun Owner: Sir, do you support criminals buying guns?
    Gun Owner: Of course not!

"Reporter" to Staff: Put another one down for background checks!
    Me: Which criminals? The ones who have been caught robbing a liquor store or the ones who have robbed whole countries?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

NO
    Pres. Florida Parishes Chapter of LOCAL www.laopencarry.org

.308 Isn't an area code, but it can still make long distance calls.
    How may I help you? Press '1' for English. Press '2' to disconnect until you learn to speak English.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Please vote. Even if you don't comment.

So I keep hearing how 89% of gun owners support universal background checks and other controls. I don't buy it. I think they polled around 3,000 people to get that number but I'm not really sure how they got it, just going by what I've heard. I tried posting a poll on another popular forum to see what the board members though and after over 1100 views it has received 55 votes. I am hoping we can do better than that here.
    Because they made it up. They thought 89% would sound more believable than an even 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by Small_Arms_Collector View Post
    Because they made it up. They thought 89% would sound more believable than an even 90%.
    Even the poll on this board is proof of why democracy is inherently evil.

Who is the idiot who just voted yes?

So you think EVERY sale including private transactions, and gifts to family, and friends should have to require a trip to an FFL to complete along with whatever fee the FFL wants to charge you for this "service", when you have no choice to pay it no matter how outragiouse it is (in some areas of the country it's impossible to find any FFL within I days drive who charges less than $200 for transfers already)? you think the government should have a record of EVERY transaction they can use to make a backdoor registry? You seriously believe a criminal who buys his gun illegaly is going to follow this law (you know like how he follows the laws against armed robbery, assault, and murder so well)?
    Last edited by Small_Arms_Collector; 02-25-2013 at 01:18 PM.

So you think EVERY sale including private transactions, and gifts to family, and friends should have to require a trip to an FFL to complete along with whatever fee the FFL wants to charge you for this "service", when you have no choice to pay it no matter how outragiouse it is (in some areas of the country it's impossible to find any FFL within I days drive who charges less than $200 for transfers already)? you think the government should have a record of EVERY transaction they can use to make a backdoor registry? You seriously believe a criminal who buys his gun illegaly is going to follow this law (you know like how he follows the laws against armed robbery, assault, and murder so well)?
    The Background checks should only be applied to politicians who are in office.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    The Background checks should only be applied to politicians who are in office.
    So, you agree that background checks ought to exist. I knew we would agree on something, eventually.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

I have no idea who she is...
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I have no idea who she is...
    There are three who voted "yes." ----->B92FS (voted once...just like the last election)

I wonder if any of the others who voted Yes, will admit to it.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 02-25-2013 at 08:09 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    People just don't think. They act, and vote, impulsively. They're lead by emotion.

People don't break it down far enough. They don't think critically of the ideas that they use to make decisions. They don't figure out what it utlimately means.

If you really think about it, the only way a person can rightfully mandate background checks is if they can first, and independently of the check, rightfully prevent, without any reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing, the sale of the firearm. If they don't first have the right to stop the sale, the right doesn't magically appear when they decide background checks are a good idea. Even if mandatory, universal background checks were a good idea, <insert name of individual human being that happens to hold government office> doesn't have the right to stop the sale of a firearm in order to first perform such a check.

The disconnect between moral base and principle and law is still widening. No longer is moral base and principle needed to enact law, only charisma, a white smile, and a silver tounge. Too bad for the legislators that while those bases may no longer be required to pass idiocrasies into law, enforcing those idiocrasies is another story all together, eh?

Edit: I guess it's really always been that way. Just the degree has changed?
    Last edited by stealthyeliminator; 02-25-2013 at 10:27 PM.

The people who vote yes are refusing to admit that "universal" background checks are impossible, no matter how strongly worded the law or severe the punishment for failure to comply.

Banned
    True. Those universal checks will only work for those willing to follow the law--and they don't need to be checked!

Laws that "prevent" crime only hassle the law-abiding. They don't slow even one iota those willing to break the law.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    ...Laws that "prevent" crime only hassle the law-abiding. They don't slow even one iota those willing to break the law.
    Hell, it's CHEAPER to not follow the damn law!

The necessity for background checks is a problem created by those that intend to deny rights to citizens not in the actual custody of the state. In jail/prison no background checks are necessary.

We can't incarcerate someone for life for one of the many misdemeanors and felonies which would keep an individual from owning a firearm, because it would be cruel and unusual punishment. However, we can sentence them to a life deprived of the right to self defense. Well, trying to control people outside of state custody is hard to do so... we'll need to bring everyone into custody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast