• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you support universal background checks?

Do you support universal background checks?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • No.

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Undecided.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think background checks should not be required to purchase a firearm at all.

Votes: 34 52.3%

• Total voters

Beau

Please vote. Even if you don't comment.

So I keep hearing how 89% of gun owners support universal background checks and other controls. I don't buy it. I think they polled around 3,000 people to get that number but I'm not really sure how they got it, just going by what I've heard. I tried posting a poll on another popular forum to see what the board members though and after over 1100 views it has received 55 votes. I am hoping we can do better than that here.

eye95

Background checks should not be required at all.

Law enforcement is not about hassling everyone, including the law-abiding, to try to prevent bad guys from breaking the law. You can't stop the bad guys. They will find a way to do whatever they want.

Law enforcement is about holding folks accountable for laws they break after they break them.

Until you catch me breaking the law (you won't ever, cuz I don't), leave me the ____ alone.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Not at all.

ONLY the good guys will submit. Brady Campaign brags about how many are denied, and then are silent about how many of those are in error. Those who are correctly denied still buy from the black market, just like most of those who are going to do evil anyway.

Background checks should be reserved for truly dangerous items like copies of Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. Seriously, did you know that impressionable young people can just read that kind of Libertarian sci-fi literature in a public library?!?!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...So I keep hearing how 89% of gun owners support universal background checks and other controls. ...

"Reporter" to Gun Owner: Sir, do you support criminals buying guns?
Gun Owner: Of course not!

"Reporter" to Staff: Put another one down for background checks!

Tangopapa

How would they know if private citizens were performing background checks for private sales without gun registration?

In order to tell if a firearm has changed hands they would need to first have proof of the original owner.

Universal background checks is the first step to national registration.

F350

How would they know if private citizens were performing background checks for private sales without gun registration?

In order to tell if a firearm has changed hands they would need to first have proof of the original owner.

Universal background checks is the first step to national registration.

Gee; I'll bet the Dem-o-craps pushing for it never thought of that :lol::lol::lol:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
As I've said before ... if the background check were truly a background check, it would not require information on the firearm.

What we have now are transaction checks.

I might support (depending on the implementation) a true background check that was backed up by real protections for the citizens, including due process and transparency of source documents.

WalkingWolf

The checks just do not work, and even if they did the criminals would then use knives, or ball bats. It would not make any difference at all, and possibly create even more crime for the criminal that feels he must have a firearm. Gun bans, and registration has failed to stop violent crime in other countries. What does stop crime is strict severe punishment like China has.

eye95

If you answered "No," did you read and consider the last choice?

I would ask you to consider that answer and, if you choose, change to it.

Keylock

I checked off, "I think background checks should not be required to purchase a firearm at all."

It bears repeating... the US Constitution is a LIMIT on the USofA, not the individual. The individual is not bound to the US Constitution unless they took an oath to defend it as a condition of employment by the USofA.

Freedom1Man

Background checks should not be required at all.

Law enforcement is not about hassling everyone, including the law-abiding, to try to prevent bad guys from breaking the law. You can't stop the bad guys. They will find a way to do whatever they want.

Law enforcement is about holding folks accountable for laws they break after they break them.

Until you catch me breaking the law (you won't ever, cuz I don't), leave me the ____ alone.

This!!

Small_Arms_Collector

Please vote. Even if you don't comment.

So I keep hearing how 89% of gun owners support universal background checks and other controls. I don't buy it. I think they polled around 3,000 people to get that number but I'm not really sure how they got it, just going by what I've heard. I tried posting a poll on another popular forum to see what the board members though and after over 1100 views it has received 55 votes. I am hoping we can do better than that here.

Because they made it up. They thought 89% would sound more believable than an even 90%.

Small_Arms_Collector

Who is the idiot who just voted yes?

So you think EVERY sale including private transactions, and gifts to family, and friends should have to require a trip to an FFL to complete along with whatever fee the FFL wants to charge you for this "service", when you have no choice to pay it no matter how outragiouse it is (in some areas of the country it's impossible to find any FFL within I days drive who charges less than $200 for transfers already)? you think the government should have a record of EVERY transaction they can use to make a backdoor registry? You seriously believe a criminal who buys his gun illegaly is going to follow this law (you know like how he follows the laws against armed robbery, assault, and murder so well)?

Last edited:

Freedom1Man

Who is the idiot who just voted yes?

So you think EVERY sale including private transactions, and gifts to family, and friends should have to require a trip to an FFL to complete along with whatever fee the FFL wants to charge you for this "service", when you have no choice to pay it no matter how outragiouse it is (in some areas of the country it's impossible to find any FFL within I days drive who charges less than $200 for transfers already)? you think the government should have a record of EVERY transaction they can use to make a backdoor registry? You seriously believe a criminal who buys his gun illegaly is going to follow this law (you know like how he follows the laws against armed robbery, assault, and murder so well)?

The Background checks should only be applied to politicians who are in office.