• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Weird Experience

Werz

Assault is the reasonable fear or expectation of physical bodily harm. Battery is the actual physical portion of the assault or the ensuing portion of the assault.

Quoting from a legal dictionary is not quite as good as quoting from the law.

Ohio Forum = Ohio Law

No person shall knowingly cause or attempt to cause physical harm to another or to another’s unborn. R.C. 2903.13(A), Assault
No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause physical harm to the person or property of the other person, the other person’s unborn, or a member of the other person’s immediate family. R.C. 2903.22(A), Menacing

Werz

Personally, unless there was zero doubt in my mind that the other man was assaulting me, I'd walk away and not call the police. It is best that those observing think that the hoplophobe is an irrational jerk and that the armed citizen is a reasonable, nice guy. If the other person truly injures me or there is no question that he was trying to hurt me, I'd walk away and call 911. Someone illegally trying to hurt a lawful carrier is a bullet itching to fly. To forestall that, I would appreciate the assistance of LEOs. I prefer not to escalate.
Actually, that would pretty much be my strategy. A large portion of police encounters arise from ninnies who overreact to seeing an openly carried firearm and call the police like it's some sort of armed invasion. The last thing we need is to start acting like them.