• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mecklenburg CCW Scam - Need Advice

Glock-Blubber

I just realized that Mecklenburg county is now collecting a 20$(Hospital scam) surcharge on top of the 90$ fee.

After just paying 70$ for a mandatory class, I'm wondering why the state is trying to rob me.

180$ for a CCW permit is out of this world. I'm not going to tolerate this!

What other options would I have as far as non-resident permits go?

I know Florida has a non-resident that costs 100$ and it's good for 7 years instead of 5.
They also don't charge 20$ to look up mental health records outsourcing a hospital.
Still. 100$ Isn't cheap and I think it's unjustified.

I'm getting plain sick of this crap associated with CCW. Why is there so much red tape bureaucracy and high costs.

It's some simple paperwork. I could fax this stuff to them and not even have to mail anything.
I can electronically send the fingerprints and they don't need to charge 45$ for a fingerprint fee, LOL.

Well if you have any options let me know.

I want to get my CCW permit from another state just so I can spit in the face of this unjustified system here.
It's unconstitutional and I don't agree with it.

Last edited:

KainVictus

Well I can't post here and give advice. But I would like to give a couple of cent on this subject if I may but I won't give it if it isn't wanted so with your permission?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Since UT now requires you get your home state permit first (if it recognizes UT), that's out. It used to be a popular option in your state.

Look into the AZ permit. It's only $60, and is recognized in TX. You can read about how to get one here: http://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

But you avoid one less question if you just get your home state's permit.

But I understand the frustration. NV is one of the most expensive permitting processes in the country, with its nearly $100 fee and a mandatory class that must be taken in NV.

So is FL, which I think was $117 last time I looked.

Glock-Blubber

Since UT now requires you get your home state permit first (if it recognizes UT), that's out. It used to be a popular option in your state.

Look into the AZ permit. It's only $60, and is recognized in TX. You can read about how to get one here: http://handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

But you avoid one less question if you just get your home state's permit.

But I understand the frustration. NV is one of the most expensive permitting processes in the country, with its nearly $100 fee and a mandatory class that must be taken in NV.

So is FL, which I think was $117 last time I looked.

It says I have to have a special class training done for Arizona.

Will they accept a photocopy of the CCW class I just paid 70$ for in NC?

We did shooting and law during the class. 40 shots at 3-5-7 yards and alot of laws.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
mate, I guess you're stuck open carrying...eh?

There is no open carry in TX. You MUST get a permit, and you MUST conceal. You will get in big trouble for even printing or accidental exposure. This includes all handguns in a vehicle (though no permit required for one in the vehicle).

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
It says I have to have a special class training done for Arizona.

Will they accept a photocopy of the CCW class I just paid 70$ for in NC?

We did shooting and law during the class. 40 shots at 3-5-7 yards and alot of laws.

That's why I included the link that explains what proof of training is required.

ncwabbit

There is no open carry in TX. You MUST get a permit, and you MUST conceal. You will get in big trouble for even printing or accidental exposure. This includes all handguns in a vehicle (though no permit required for one in the vehicle).

considering we're referring to nc chp activities instead of the lone star state i guess the OP has to OC since they are bulking at the nc fees from his county.

wabbit

ps what in the dickens is nra certified concierge instruction?

pps what does 'advanced' nra courses mean exactly since i cant seem to find a reference of them on the nra website?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I believe NC is about to change the reciprocity, if they do a NC resident will have to have a NC CHP to CC. As CO has done a out of state permit will have to be a resident permit.

The NC is a shall issue, and I believe it is legal for the Sheriff to require finger prints, there is nothing in the law as I know of for mental health checks. That IMO is a invasion of privacy and I would not sign any such release for it. If a person has been committed it would not need a release or a fee to find that out, it would be court records. Appeal the demand for the fee and requiring signing release.

WalkingWolf

mate, I guess you're stuck open carrying...eh?

wabbit

That is what I would suggest for him. He can open anyplace he could conceal, for now. If he gets a out of state permit it will be worthless once the legislature adds a resident permit requirement for reciprocity.

As as the cost I agree with OP that the licensing fees are too high. It is discrimination on the lower income class residents of NC, which statistics show are along minority lines. The high fees are Jim Crow IMO and should be lowered to a reasonable fee.

Whether a person has had mental health care is none of the governments business unless the person is dangerous, and if they are they belong in a facility instead of on the streets. This behavior will restrict the rights of those who have sought help for smoking, obesity, marriage counseling, and other many reasons from both mental and physical health issues. It is a fact that people who suffer heart attacks, cancer, and major illness suffer depression during recovery, also battered spouses do. This use of normal use of mental health counseling to deprive rights is disgusting and unconstitutional.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
considering we're referring to nc chp activities instead of the lone star state...

You're right. I based all my responses in this entire thread because it said Texas for his location. Thanks.

As for what certain words mean, unless you are going to pay me for my time, I suggest you consult a dictionary.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

You're right. I based all my responses in this entire thread because it said Texas for his location. Thanks.

Ya know I did not even notice that, thanks for pointing it out. It would appear he lives in NC, or at least part of the time. If he is a Texas resident he needs to get a Texas permit, it will be good in NC.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I just realized that Mecklenburg county is now collecting a 20$(Hospital scam) surcharge on top of the 90$ fee.

After just paying 70$ for a mandatory class, I'm wondering why the state is trying to rob me.

180$ for a CCW permit is out of this world. I'm not going to tolerate this!

What other options would I have as far as non-resident permits go?

I know Florida has a non-resident that costs 100$ and it's good for 7 years instead of 5.
They also don't charge 20$ to look up mental health records outsourcing a hospital.
Still. 100$ Isn't cheap and I think it's unjustified.

I'm getting plain sick of this crap associated with CCW. Why is there so much red tape bureaucracy and high costs.

It's some simple paperwork. I could fax this stuff to them and not even have to mail anything.
I can electronically send the fingerprints and they don't need to charge 45$ for a fingerprint fee, LOL.

Well if you have any options let me know.

I want to get my CCW permit from another state just so I can spit in the face of this unjustified system here.
It's unconstitutional and I don't agree with it.

100+ they want permits? it should cost us nothing and no fingerprinting or "training" requirements .... its all BS

I know many who carry w/o any stinking permits ... not that I recommend that but people do do it

WalkingWolf

Last edited:

papa bear

Well I can't post here and give advice. But I would like to give a couple of cent on this subject if I may but I won't give it if it isn't wanted so with your permission?

this is an open forum and anybody can post to any thread, as long as it doesn't break the rules.

check the rule list

papa bear

WALKING, I have heard rumors too. could you be referring to the legislation to make the use of non resident CHP from another state void for residents to use, while in the state of NC

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

WALKING, I have heard rumors too. could you be referring to the legislation to make the use of non resident CHP from another state void for residents to use, while in the state of NC

I believe that is what I heard, actually I read it and I can't find it again. From what I understand that if whoever has there way, out of state permits will only be recognized if the holder of the permit is a resident of that state, like Colorado.