Thread: Open Carry in Kansas

Open Carry in Kansas

I know that Kansas does not prohibit OC. I would like to know what counties allow it and where at. Also I would like this verified that I will not need any type of permit to OC.
    If you have any county websites with info on it please post

I live on Fort Leavenworth and frequently travel to Kansas City and the surrounding area.
    Thank you.

OC Kansas new to state

I'm new to this state and would like to OC. I know Kansas allows OC. I would like to know what counties allow it and where all you cant be when you OC or is it just the same standards as CC? Also I would like this verified that I will not need any type of permit to OC.
    If you have any county websites with info on it please post

I live on Fort Leavenworth and frequently travel to Kansas City and the surrounding area.
    Thank you.

Re: OC in Kansas

Are you talking about the Kansas or the Missouri side?

Kansas has state preemption of Open Carry, so cities and counties are not allowed to prohibit open carry according to a statement released by the KS Attorney General. They are allowed to regulate it, so in some cities like Wichita you must have a CCP to carry inside a vehicle.

There are still a few cities in non-compliance though, so its best to do your research and see what is what in the cities you pass through.

Quote Originally Posted by SixGunCowboy View Post
    Are you talking about the Kansas or the Missouri side?
    Kansas

Quote Originally Posted by KTCerberus View Post
    Kansas has state preemption of Open Carry, so cities and counties are not allowed to prohibit open carry according to a statement released by the KS Attorney General. They are allowed to regulate it, so in some cities like Wichita you must have a CCP to carry inside a vehicle.

There are still a few cities in non-compliance though, so its best to do your research and see what is what in the cities you pass through.
    And unlike Missouri, Kansas does not have a Castle Law which basically means that your car is not an extension of your home.. So there are certain regulations concerning firearms in vehicles.

Kansas does have a castle law but allows municipalities to regulate OC in vehicles.

Hopefully this will be changed by the 2013 KS Legislature.