• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hb 1908. ?

EMNofSeattle

Something else I like

It eliminates the prohibition on students who are lawfully storing an unloaded firearm in their vehicle in the school parking lot.

This would cause me grief, if I was heading hiking or to the range after school I'd have to park on the street instead of the school lot.
(and ironically, the street parking was actually CLOSER to the school building then the student parking lot, but hey, what I wouldn't do for the children right? :rolleyes:)

NavyMike

Wrong in your assessment that we can carry on school grounds! It actually takes away from having your personal protection firearm loaded while on the school grounds.
This does however put wording in place for supporting schools to have armed teachers, staff or citizens that is apart of their security program, which the RCW already provides with out all the added wording.

It eliminates the exception for those with a CPL to drop off and pick up students and places more restrictions at the schools and events.

That is not how I read it:

para 3(e) expands the CPL holders exceptions to the law, by deleting the restriction of it being only during dropping/picking up.

para 6 deletes the restriction from entering buildings.

xxx.jakk.xxx

para 3(e) expands the CPL holders exceptions to the law, by deleting the restriction of it being only during dropping/picking up.

Lol,i was just typing this up with text from the bill and my tablet freaked out and deleted everything. I reloaded the page and you beat me to it.

To me, it seems like this will allow carriers with CPLs to carry at and in the school because of those 2 fixes. Am I wrong?

Sparky508

That's the way I read it too. Also looks to me that if you or your employer has a contract with that school, that you can carry while engaged in that contract, with separation between providing security or being LE.

, or any person in possession of a firearm
pursuant to a contract entered into between the school and the person
or the person's employer

Vitaeus

text I am finding at http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2013-14/Htm/Bills/House Bills/1908.htm

would allow CPL holder to carry on school grounds at any time and does not prohibit entry into school buildings. It makes it a privilege, not a right, but it is a step in the correct direction.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(e) Any person in possession of a ((pistol)) firearm who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

18 USC 922 section about licensed carriers

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Last edited:

Sparky508

text I am finding at http://www.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/2013-14/Htm/Bills/House Bills/1908.htm

would allow CPL holder to carry on school grounds at any time and does not prohibit entry into school buildings. It makes it a privilege, not a right, but it is a step in the correct direction.

(e) Any person in possession of a ((pistol)) firearm who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060

18 USC 922 section about licensed carriers

if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

Yea but this is the wrestling match over CPLs being necessary at all, vs the right to carry without one. Of course the exceptions are still there.

SeattleWingsfan

From our friend Elizabeth Scott of the 39th LD:

"I have submitted a bill, House Bill 1908, which will allow licensed concealed carry on school grounds, modeled after the federal Gun Free School Zones Act signed by President Bill Clinton in 1990. (His bill allowed it.) You can read the bill at this link and leave a comment. Please call 1-800-562-6000 on Friday Feb 15th to ask your representatives to cosponsor HB 1908 by 2 pm. The principal at Sandy Hook threw herself at the shooter because she had no weapon. That day could've ended differently.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?year=2013&bill=1908

HB 1908 - 2013-14
apps.leg.wa.gov

skeith5

Big Dave likes to leave stuff out. This bill is a step in the right direction and allows those with a cpl to carry into school property even if they are not picking up or dropping off students.

jt59

It doesn't Matter anymore

This bill failed to exit the committee by the Feb. 22 deadline and is dead for the current legislative session.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I also read the bill as exempting all CPL holders. It removes the stipulation of while picking up or dropping off a student and allows licensed carry regardless of the reason you are on/in school grounds.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
Wrong in your assessment that we can carry on school grounds! It actually takes away from having your personal protection firearm loaded while on the school grounds.
This does however put wording in place for supporting schools to have armed teachers, staff or citizens that is apart of their security program, which the RCW already provides with out all the added wording.

It eliminates the exception for those with a CPL to drop off and pick up students and places more restrictions at the schools and events.

Grey Letter is bieng deleted from RCW
Bold for emphasis

RCW 9.41.280 and 2009 c 453 s 1 are each amended to read
11 as follows:
12 (1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on,
13 public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-
14 provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used
15 exclusively by public or private schools:
16 (a) Any firearm;

p. 3 HB 1908

1 (a) Any student or employee of a private military academy when on
2 the property of the academy;
3 (b) Any person engaged in military, law enforcement, or school
4 district security activities, or any person in possession of a firearm
5 pursuant to a contract entered into between the school and the person
6 or the person's employer.

(c) Any person ((who is involved in a convention, showing,
13 demonstration, lecture, or firearms safety course authorized by school
14 authorities in which the firearms of collectors or instructors are
15 handled or displayed))
using a firearm in accordance with a program
16 approved by the school;

(f) Any person in possession of a firearm that is unloaded while
24 traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public
25 or private lands open to hunting, if entry on school premises is
26 authorized by school authorities;

(g) Any nonstudent at least eighteen years of age legally in
28 possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon that is secured within an
29 attended vehicle or concealed from view within a locked unattended
30 vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school((;
31 (g)))
, or any ((nonstudent at least eighteen years of age)) person
32 who is in lawful possession of an unloaded firearm, secured in a
33 vehicle while conducting legitimate business at the school;
or
34 (h) Any law enforcement officer of the federal, state, or local
35 government agency.

David,
I don't see where you included parts (d) and (e) above under 3:

1. (d) Any person while the person is participating in a firearms or
  2. 18 air gun competition approved by the school or school district;
  3. 19 (e) Any person in possession of a ((pistol)) firearm who has been
  4. 20 issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing
  5. 21 requirement by RCW 9.41.060((, while picking up or dropping off a22 student));

It is pretty obvious that the new subsection 1 does not have subparts a/b/c/d etc etc.....
So the new section references need to be brought up to date, but the intent is pretty clear. It expands our ability to carry on school grounds with a CPL.
It is unfortunate that it is dead this year.......

Last edited:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on,
public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-
provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used
exclusively by public or private schools:
(a) Any firearm;

(e) Any person in possession of a ((pistol)) firearm who has been
issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing
requirement by RCW 9.41.060((, while picking up or dropping off a
student
));

Eliminates the requirement that you must be picking up or dropping off a student to be exempt and makes ALL CPL holders exempt. (red is strike through)

In Sec. 2 there are 7...now 6 sub sections all with a parenthesis, note in (3) it refers to (1) and not Sec. 1

However, the language should be cleaned up to refer to it as a subsection.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I stand corrected, it is the subsection (1) of Section(2), my apologies and will remove my earlier post to avoid someone misinterpreting.

Last edited: