• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Buy a Gun on Sunday

amtilton17

Is this a survey? I can, but I have both money, the ability to pass the background check, and the ability to locate one. You?

:)

I have the money for one and know what i want i was just wondering if it is legal to buy one on sunday or if they run background checks on sunday to enable you to buy one

HearseGuy

Speaking of gunshows, they all do back ground checks correct? Will they be done that day? I saw the other thread about long waits on background checks. Just curious how that works and if you can take handgun that day.

Also it appears that if you just changed your license to va from another state, a dealer wont sell you a gun for 30 days?

Justine

I think I've bought my last two guns on Sundays. If the store is open, they're selling guns. There are some stores that only open their range (if they have one) on Sundays and not the store itself, but in my experience, if the store is open, they're doing business.

Happy shopping! :banana:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Speaking of gunshows, they all do back ground checks correct? Will they be done that day? I saw the other thread about long waits on background checks. Just curious how that works and if you can take handgun that day.

Also it appears that if you just changed your license to va from another state, a dealer wont sell you a gun for 30 days?

1 - gunshows do not do background checks. Never have, never will. FFLs do background checks, even when selling at a gunshow. That pesky "gunshow loophole" is about private sellers who could not do a background check if they wanted to. They would need to consign it to an FFL who would then sell it to you after running a background check.

2 - no, you cannot take your gun home that day unless your background check comes back "proceed". The FFL may, after waiting three business days (iirc) transfer to gun to you even if the background check has not come back "proceed" and is not stuck on "investigating" or whatever the precise technical phrase is. Many will not take the risk of havig to get it back from you should it come back disapproved. Remember, the law says "may", not "shall".

3 - bet you did not know why there is a 30-day hold on your DL if it replaces an out of state DL or it's a replacement. Does the phrase "trust but verify" ring any bells?

stay safe.