Thread: quick question about pistol free zones

quick question about pistol free zones

I have just started to become an active poster on here again. And with all the political talks about gun control going on. My question is has anything changed in regards to how pfz's apply to a person having a valid cpl? "OC"

I'm a little confused, and was just seeing if I was up to date on Michigan carry laws still? I hope I don't get hounded to much for this, as I know some people may ask why I ask such a question. Thank you,

Glock214

Carry on!!!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764

Nothing has changed in several years.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Re: quick question about pistol free zones

Quote Originally Posted by Glock214 View Post
    I have just started to become an active poster on here again. And with all the political talks about gun control going on. My question is has anything changed in regards to how pfz's apply to a person having a valid cpl? "OC"

I'm a little confused, and was just seeing if I was up to date on Michigan carry laws still? I hope I don't get hounded to much for this, as I know some people may ask why I ask such a question. Thank you,

Glock214

Carry on!!!
    Why would you ask such a question... Just kidding - it is always best to get updated if you've been out of the loop. Not much has changed as posted above. Some good news for non CPL folks (97% of MI population) was purchase permits have been "modified" if I understand correctly. Now qualification to purchase is handled by FFL prior to sale in a dealer to customer transaction.
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 02-25-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by FreeInAZ View Post
    Why would you ask such a question... Just kidding - it is always best to get updated if you've been out of the loop. Not much has changed as posted above. Some good news for non CPL folks (97% of MI population) was purchase permits have been done away with if I understand correctly. Now qualification to purchase is handled by FFL prior to sale.
    There are still purchase permits and registration. Its just if you buy from an FFL it's filled out there you don't have to go to the PD. If it's a private sale you still must obtain a purchase permit from the police.
    "No state shall convert a liberty to a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor.- Murdock vs Pennsylvania 319 US 105

...If the state converts a right into a privelege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right... with impunity.
    - Shuttleworth vs City of Birmingham, Alabama 317 US 262

Where rights secured by the Constitution are involved, there can be no legislation which would abrogate them.
    - Miranda vs Arizona 384 US 436

Re: quick question about pistol free zones

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    There are still purchase permits and registration. Its just if you buy from an FFL it's filled out there you don't have to go to the PD. If it's a private sale you still must obtain a purchase permit from the police.
    Thanks for clarlfying xman - edited my post above to avoid confusing others.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Thanks everyone, I thought nothing had changed However, I just wanted to get that reassurance from someone. Especially when I speak to so many leo's and others who are not knowledgeable at all about gun laws, or the fact that you can OC in Michigan. All that talk sometimes makes me question myself and my carry method, and second guess myself on where I can, and can't carry OC. All that crazy talk has me bamboozled lol. I OC when I can, however lately with work it's been hard to, also with my own business venture I'm pursuing it's a bit difficult to market myself while OC'ing. So I have been doing more CC than OC lately.

Carry On!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764