• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Libertarian viewpoint on the right to bear arms

sudden valley gunner

Let me ask you this gunner. With the way government has acted the last few decades and the current atmosphere in our judicial system do you think we are able to change anything. Are we to far down the road to turn back. Have really started paying attention the last few years and the more I learn and know about what's going on it infuriates me. Every one says vote them out put in people who share our ideals. But as soon as they get in to office they do not uphold the principals they were elected for. It seems like we are talking in circles same actions expecting a different response. Its that insanity.

I do support your work and what you are trying to do.

Can we change yes, but it will be only by what many consider "radical". They may call you an extremist, anarchist, confrontational, traitor...etc....so what, this just shows their fear....they called Patrick Henry and others similar names.

Stop compromising and supporting those who view compromise as part of the game, those will be your first politicians to not uphold their principles once in office.

Don't let the supporters of the one party system masquerading as two parties, set the debate and issues for you.

Do everything you can to get the word out and educate people, revolutions are in the hearts and mind of the people.

Jury Nullification is one of the last checks we have left, use it and educate others on it.

Fight for all rights even the ones you find personally distasteful. When we win the rights for others you win them for yourself and you may help create allies in your cause. (Citizens tag line)

Even so it still may be too late....educate your self and children, to learn from history and not repeat it.

Yeah, I'll say.

Anybody who's actually read Utopia by Thomas More would know that.

I haven't read that yet I do believe it's on my reader.

Many claim that libertarian society is an unattainable Utopian one and then work and vote for politicians who are trying to create their own Utopian Society by force. Makes no sense to anyone who actually thinks about it.

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
SNIP I haven't read that yet I do believe it's on my reader.

Many claim that libertarian society is an unattainable Utopian one and then work and vote for politicians who are trying to create their own Utopian Society by force. Makes no sense to anyone who actually thinks about it.

Read the "cliff notes" first. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Its More's version of an ideal society. Definitely not a libertarian's version. Remember that More was Chancellor of England; and, prior to his resignation, he was actually a friend of Henry VIII. Separately, he personally helped in the suppression of non-Catholics prior to his main disagreement with Henry. So, those things kinda tell you something about what you might find in Utopia. There's a reason people refer more to Locke than More.

Basically, I've been messing with you all based on B-lady's use of the capital "U" for the word Utopian. If one uses the capital "U", one must be referring to the book's ideal society. If one uses the lower case "u"--utopian--one is referring to an ideal society in a generalized sense. So, while libertarians have an idea of their utopian society, it definitely is not a Utopian society. :p:)

More did write some good stuff, and had an incredible life. Its worth reading a biography on him. A really good one is in print currently about he and his daughter Meg. My Dearest Meg or something. Written by the president of the Thomas More Society or something in England. Its a bit pro-More, but worth the read if you enjoy seeing the human side of a historical giant. More was very close with his daughter. And the political danger in his final years was a deep concern to both More and Meg, concerned for the other. So, the politics plays an important enough part of the story that the author includes the politics to a degree.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Kaaaaa--POW that's is a good one ... one has to admit

others would say "bad taste" but hey I like Godfrey jokes

It was the other guy Grapeshot .... I said it was in bad taste ...

<snip>
Unless there is further clarification, or a revision of your remark, the use of the word "others", by you, you attribute that sentiment to "others" and not to yourself.