• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My Libertarian viewpoint on the right to bear arms

PistolPackingMomma

Frederic Bastiat's The Law should be required reading in schools. I think I had to read it in 7th grade (homeschooled).

And yes, I'm with you also.

+1

Just bought a copy the other day, along with some Hobbes, Spooner, Locke, Thoreau and Rousseau. Wish it had been a part of my home school curriculum.

liberty404

agree

Sudden, I agree with you. Our rights are re-iterated by the constitution, but derive from our status as human beings. A government might refuse to recognize a person's rights, but that refusal does not abolish them.

The philosophical and ethical foundation of rights is very important. Also important is clarity on exactly what are rights and what declarations are not rights. The term "human rights" is mis-used by many. I suggest reading the essay "Man's Rights" by Ayn Rand, found in her book "Capitalism, the Unknown Ideal". That essay clarifys the issues and makes a principled defense.

My opinion is that the defenders of our right to self defense and to the tools of self defense have succeeded while other liberties have been infringed in the past two decades because the second amendment advocates have based the arguments on ethical principles.

KBCraig

Good one.

Here's another classic:

Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission.

Someday to demonstrate that principle -- before I'm lying on my deathbed in a hospital with green plastic tubes up my nose, before arthritis sets in and I have to do it on crutches -- I intend to walk the length of Manhattan Island with a handgun openly on my hip, unmolested by any freelance or official parasite.

The rest: http://www.lneilsmith.org/atlanta.html

Beretta92FSLady

Libertarian is quite Utopian...isn't it.

Libertarianism, like many other 'isms', read well on paper, look fantastic in the mental construct, but aren't practical in application.

sudden valley gunner

Thanks again you guys, I know some of what I say will be like a burr in the shoe of some of those who proscribe to major party politics....good, do something about it!

YEP

Now we have our work cut out for us, we have to undo 75 years, give or take, of public education and government indoctrination into the big brother club. This is one of the reasons I started to OC.

Me too, and it won't be done incrementally there is going to be a major shift coming one way or the other, hopefully because of actions like yours in OCing people come down on the liberty side.

Good one.

Here's another classic:

Every man, woman, and responsible child has an unalienable individual, civil, Constitutional, and human right to obtain, own, and carry, openly or concealed, any weapon -- rifle, shotgun, handgun, machinegun, anything -- any time, any place, without asking anyone's permission.

Someday to demonstrate that principle -- before I'm lying on my deathbed in a hospital with green plastic tubes up my nose, before arthritis sets in and I have to do it on crutches -- I intend to walk the length of Manhattan Island with a handgun openly on my hip, unmolested by any freelance or official parasite.

The rest: http://www.lneilsmith.org/atlanta.html

Very nice!

Libertarian is quite Utopian...isn't it.

Libertarianism, like many other 'isms', read well on paper, look fantastic in the mental construct, but aren't practical in application.

Nope nothing Utopic about it, just more realistic.

Shared it, loved it.

Please all who can share it, associate or volunteer with your local libertarian group if you don't have one, form one. We are a group of individuals with a wide range perspectives, the main focus being that coercion by political force is wrong.

conandan

I agree 100%. Little by little our rights and freedoms are being lost. THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BARE ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.what part of that sentence is not clear.

sudden valley gunner

I agree 100%. Little by little our rights and freedoms are being lost. THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BARE ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED.what part of that sentence is not clear.

I believe it is very clear, and why courts have taken so long to make any rulings on it, it is very hard to construe any other meanings.

The courts have spent much of their history eroding the protections for us against government as spelled out in the constitution, they have done this by creatively twisting the meanings, redefining words or out right ignoring original intent, very hard to do with a one sentence, plainly worded amendment.

conandan

Let me ask you this gunner. With the way government has acted the last few decades and the current atmosphere in our judicial system do you think we are able to change anything. Are we to far down the road to turn back. Have really started paying attention the last few years and the more I learn and know about what's going on it infuriates me. Every one says vote them out put in people who share our ideals. But as soon as they get in to office they do not uphold the principals they were elected for. It seems like we are talking in circles same actions expecting a different response. Its that insanity.

I do support your work and what you are trying to do.