• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from Georgia to Oklahoma, anything I should know?

1911 Range Officer

Ok, so I know the Georgia carry laws pretty darn well. However in almost exactly a weeks time I will be coming out to Oklahoma, and staying there for an unknown amount of time. I just got a job out there and thats why I am moving myself and family. However I want to stay in Georgia and will be moving back as soon as I can find a suitable job/career in GA.

I am aware that last Nov. Oklahoma did a very good thing IMO and decided to allow open carry to CC permit holders. GA did this back in 2010. I am unaware of any small differences as of yet between the two states laws, they seem very similar but I don't want to trip myself up on something seemingly small and technical. This worry is compounded by the fact that in-laws in OK tell me that people freak out by open carry in OK? And there are no gun signs at almost all establishments? Is this true?

I have grown quite used to carrying my 1911 open and my Ruger LCP concealed (sometimes both at the same time) And do not like the idea of being forced to disarm myself just to go eat at a restaurant. Which is what i'm being told is pretty much going to be required. :(

Last edited:

Gary S

Ok, so I know the Georgia carry laws pretty darn well. However in almost exactly a weeks time I will be coming out to Oklahoma, and staying there for an unknown amount of time. I just got a job out there and thats why I am moving myself and family. However I want to stay in Georgia and will be moving back as soon as I can find a suitable job/career in GA.

I am aware that last Nov. Oklahoma did a very good thing IMO and decided to allow open carry to CC permit holders. GA did this back in 2010. I am unaware of any small differences as of yet between the two states laws, they seem very similar but I don't want to trip myself up on something seemingly small and technical. This worry is compounded by the fact that in-laws in OK tell me that people freak out by open carry in OK? And there are no gun signs at almost all establishments? Is this true?

I have grown quite used to carrying my 1911 open and my Ruger LCP concealed (sometimes both at the same time) And do not like the idea of being forced to disarm myself just to go eat at a restaurant. Which is what i'm being told is pretty much going to be required. :(

Im out here in the tulsa area, and as long as you look up the SDA laws on line then for the most part your good to go. However there are some grey areas with it being new. But on here everyone will help you transitions if you need.
There are some signs up around here but not like you described, and OKOCA and groups alike are working hard to get them removed. Do you know what part of Oklahoma your moving to? If its close to me Id be happy to show you around, especially to the great ranges we have here. Just let me know.

hrdware

I think your in-laws are trying to talk you out of OC before you get here. I have had no one freak out over my open carry since the law went into effect. I have only heard of 2 instances where people have "freaked out" over a LAC who was OC. There have been a few new places put up "no guns" signs, but nothing even remotely close to "almost all establishments". It seems that for almost every place that is posted, there are another 1 or 2 (at least) of the same type just down the street that are not posted.

Aknazer

The closest thing I've had to someone "freaking out" was a woman at Denny's whose eyes got noticably larger when she saw my gun. I then heard the guy at her table tell her that it was legal and I was simply exercising my right. That's it. Hell my wife and I even took our boys to the park in our neighborhood and not only did none of the adults there even acknowledge that I had a gun, but one of the kids there (I would put hit at around 15) asked me about my gun and stated he couldn't wait until he was old enough to carry. So while maybe some people are bothered by it, I'm yet to come across anyone who is.

As for posted places, as Hrdware said, some places are but you can usually find places that aren't. Out of the places that I go I've only come across two posted places, Melting Pot and Vintage Stock.

okiephlyer

Hrdware, I think you give the anti's way too much credit. My estimates would be along the lines of 1 store posted to 20 not posted. But giving the benefit of the doubt, you may hang out in an entirely different set of stores than I do.
As to the OP - the OSBI booklet on carry laws and handgunlaw.us are good sources of information, as well as this forum. Don't let the anti's get to you. Many of us have been OC'ing since Nov. 1 and have never seen anyone freak out, pass out, run away screaming, or anything else.
Welcome to Oklahoma - enjoy all it has to offer. Let us know if there is anything specific that you would like to know.

thegomezclan

I have been open carrying since Nov. 1 also and not have had a problem. Just some raise eyebrows but no one freaking out. I hope your stay in Oklahoma will be good.

Keylock

I too have been OC'ing since the new rules went into effect. No freaking out that I've experienced. It's a non-issue. I rarely engage with businesses that have posted as there are plenty of others who aren't and welcome my spending at their locations. Of the two places that I did frequently visit, one of them (Hooters) took down the sign. That leaves a convenient to me McDonald's on my short list. A little bit of inconvenience on my part has me doing business with a different McDonald's that isn't posted. Roll with the flow.

gprod55

Freaking out, not happening.
33% posted 66% not posted.
Places not posted welcome you.
33% posted are federal buildings, some banks, all post offices, state buildings.
Although open carry is allowed in state parks you cannot openly carry inside any of the state buildings.
Some eating places and gas stops, IE 7-11 are posted no weapons but as stated in previous threads there are many more who welcome you.
Most major commercial chains follow state gun laws, IE Walmart, Kmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
If you inadvertently enter a posted commercial area and they ask you to leave, do so. If you refuse they then can charge you with misdemeanor trespass.
Welcome to our great state.

1911 Range Officer

Does anyone know if my 8 years & 3 deployments while I was in the Army count for the. "must successfully complete a firearms safety and training course in this state conducted by a registered and approved firearms instructor as provided by the provisions of this section." This is not a requirement in GA and while nothing more than an annoying extra expense and bothersome waste of time as far as I am concerned (for me, not everyone I suppose) I'll of course do it if I have to, to get my Oklahoma carry permit. I am hoping my military experience coupled with the fact that I already have a GA carry license that Oklahoma honors will be sufficient.

Oh, and it looks like I will be moving to North Oklahoma, around Ponca city. :/ But hey at least maybe I can get a place out of the city limits and since theres nothing around there just go out in my backyard and be able to do some target practice whenever I want?

P.S. My father in law lives in Oklahoma City and I figure thats likely got a lot to do with the supposed massive amount of no gun/firearm sights posted. Seems big cities are more anti-gun...which is pretty silly if you ask me, since thats where more criminals are but hey, were the sane ones right?

Last edited:

hrdware

Does anyone know if my 8 years & 3 deployments while I was in the Army count for the. "must successfully complete a firearms safety and training course in this state conducted by a registered and approved firearms instructor as provided by the provisions of this section." This is not a requirement in GA and while nothing more than an annoying extra expense and bothersome waste of time as far as I am concerned (for me, not everyone I suppose) I'll of course do it if I have to, to get my Oklahoma carry permit. I am hoping my military experience coupled with the fact that I already have a GA carry license that Oklahoma honors will be sufficient.

Oh, and it looks like I will be moving to North Oklahoma, around Ponca city. :/ But hey at least maybe I can get a place out of the city limits and since theres nothing around there just go out in my backyard and be able to do some target practice whenever I want?

P.S. My father in law lives in Oklahoma City and I figure thats likely got a lot to do with the supposed massive amount of no gun/firearm sights posted. Seems big cities are more anti-gun...which is pretty silly if you ask me, since thats where more criminals are but hey, were the sane ones right?

Your military experience may exempt you from the shooting portion of the class but it will not exempt you from the legal portion of the class. To a point, it will be up to the instructor if they will accept your military experience or not.

I am from the OKC area (Moore actually) and I haven't seen anyone freaking out about me carrying.

Joe in Norman

To answer the OP.. Been OC'ing since Nov. 1 and no freakouts here either. Bugeye or two but nothing notable. Also in the Moore area. Moore PD coudla cared less when I got pulled over the other day.

cbxer55

To answer the OP.. Been OC'ing since Nov. 1 and no freakouts here either. Bugeye or two but nothing notable. Also in the Moore area. Moore PD coudla cared less when I got pulled over the other day.

Now what did you go and get pulled over for? Driving a tad fast, were we? Slow down thar sonny boy, and smell the roses.

I've been pulled over a few times while ccing, and it was no big deal. Been ocing periodically with no negative comments, and a few positive comments.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association

I live and work in OKC, and I've OCd everywhere legal since Nov 1... except when it's really cold and I have to wear a coat. No freakouts. Maybe 2 or 3 in 10 businesses are posted.

Be sure that you know the notification law and all the prohibited places. BTW, we have had really zero problems with LE regarding open carry. Many of them actually support it.

Aknazer

You're going to need the discharge form showing that you were in the military, and possibly your gun card or however they tracked your weapon qualifications in the Army. These will need to be shown to an instructor and they do up a thing exempting you from the shooting portion of the class, BUT by law you're only exempt from the shooting portion if you were qualified on a handgun while in the military (I don't know how rigorously instructors follow this). The instructors are also limited to only being able to charge you a maximum of $30 for the classroom portion of the class. This is all covered under Title 21 Section 1290.15 (it's page 11 of the linked handbook).

Personally I live just east of Tinker AFB and haven't had any issues when I've OCed in the local area.

1911 Range Officer

Excellent, thank you for all the information. I will be looking into things more methodically in the coming weeks. Since i'll soon be a resident of the state, but until then, my GA license will do just fine :)

websterz

Oh, and it looks like I will be moving to North Oklahoma, around Ponca city. :/ But hey at least maybe I can get a place out of the city limits and since theres nothing around there just go out in my backyard and be able to do some target practice whenever I want?...

Hey, when you get settled give me a shout. I'm in Ponca City...we can get together and hit the range for a little decompression time.

Charles Watts

Excellent, thank you for all the information. I will be looking into things more methodically in the coming weeks. Since i'll soon be a resident of the state, but until then, my GA license will do just fine :)

Additionally, Friend or Foe is an excellent website showing places supporting open carry. It has been my experience so far that there are MORE places that allow it, than those that do not. There are a few restaurants that have modified their signs for "no Open Carry" which means CC is allowed, they just dont want people seeing them. However, the majority allow it, and you will quickly find out the stores that do not and then you will be fine. I rarely take mine off, I have to for one of my banks, but the other allows it.

Welcome to OK !!!

1911 Range Officer

Yea, today I discovered that Krispy Kream is CC only. I had to go put my 1911 back in the car. At first I was a little anoyed, but then I was like "Well..at least they allow CC" :/ The Wal-Mart here in OKC where I am at I am told used to be a "no carry" period store, but apparently that changed at some point as I didn't see it posted anywhere and OC'ed inside with no issue.

Gary S

Yea, today I discovered that Krispy Kream is CC only. I had to go put my 1911 back in the car. At first I was a little anoyed, but then I was like "Well..at least they allow CC" :/ The Wal-Mart here in OKC where I am at I am told used to be a "no carry" period store, but apparently that changed at some point as I didn't see it posted anywhere and OC'ed inside with no issue.
I think you were miss informed about wal-mart. As far as Im aware, they are required to abide by there state laws per company policy.