• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open carry experiences

2ndammendmentbrotha

In the past few months I have open carried nearly evryplace I've been. All around northwest Indiana and metro Detroit. I have been asked by a few people if I was LE and I responded no just a law abiding citizen. I have gotten curious looks from Illinoisians at gas stations. I checked into th Red Roof Inn in Dearborn, Michigan where no one cared. While in Detroit man from New York told me he envied our freedom At a Speedway in suburban Detroit the police came in for coffee and just said good morning.

GLOCKMAN40

your open carry experience

wow that is just what you will get here in Indianapolis, Its all about how you carry yourself, everyone who see's me out think I'm a LEO and I don't even get a 2nd look .

cce1302

I saw a guy shopping for shoes at Kohls on Ireland Rd. in South Bend with his family. He was open carrying an XDS45. We talked a few minutes.

I was concealing an XD40.

cce1302

Today:
Met another guy in Petsmart on Ireland Rd in South Bend (same shopping center I mentioned in previous post about Kohls). He was OCing a Glock, I was OCing a S&W 327PC.

I also OCd @ chick-fil-A, Kroger, Target, & a butcher shop today. CC'd @ AMC theater. Wife CC'd all day with me.

cce1302

Today I open carried my S&W model 327PC at ACE hardware and at Advance Auto on Ireland Road in South Bend. No comments at Advance, but the guy who cut my new keys for me at ACE was real nice. He asked what model it was, admired it, and talked for a minute about carry.

I've open carried many times at Advance Auto Parts, and they've never given me a hard time about it, but this was my first or second time open carrying at ACE.

cce1302

Sitting in the parking lot at lowes right now...borrowing wireless internet...guy pulls up past me and parks, gets out, he's open carrying a S&W M&P pistol, but pulls his shirt over it as he closes his door. Don't know why...lowes is OC friendly here.

Tempted to say something if I'm still here when he walks out. "I see you're carrying a pistol. I'm carrying a pistol, too." :clownsmiley:

Murphy

Sitting in the parking lot at lowes right now...borrowing wireless internet...guy pulls up past me and parks, gets out, he's open carrying a S&W M&P pistol, but pulls his shirt over it as he closes his door. Don't know why...lowes is OC friendly here.

Tempted to say something if I'm still here when he walks out. "I see you're carrying a pistol. I'm carrying a pistol, too." :clownsmiley:

Hmmm....Not sure how I would really take that if someone I didn't know was sitting in a parking lot and said that to me and told me that they were "Carrying a pistol too."
Not trying to sound suspicious or paranoid but I think instead of saying that, I'd instead say "Hey good job on the OC/CC carry." I don't think you need to broadcast to a complete stranger that you are armed.

I can understand the reason for him pulling the shirt over.
1: Maybe he just isn't completely comfortable with OC'ing in lowe's.
2: Maybe he's had a MWAG experience.
3: Maybe he just doesn't want to draw attention.

cce1302

Hmmm....Not sure how I would really take that if someone I didn't know was sitting in a parking lot and said that to me and told me that they were "Carrying a pistol too."
Not trying to sound suspicious or paranoid but I think instead of saying that, I'd instead say "Hey good job on the OC/CC carry." I don't think you need to broadcast to a complete stranger that you are armed.

I can understand the reason for him pulling the shirt over.
1: Maybe he just isn't completely comfortable with OC'ing in lowe's.
2: Maybe he's had a MWAG experience.
3: Maybe he just doesn't want to draw attention.

Hmmm....Not sure how you thought that I was serious about saying that to a guy in a parking lot. I would have thought that :clownsmiley: after the statement was enough to show i was joking...

cce1302

Went a few places yesterday...no comments except one of the guys at the butcher shop asked "Is that the XD45?" I said no, it's the .40. He said, "Cool, I just got a Glock 22." We took a minute to talk and sing the praises of the .40 S&W. Nice time overall.

lil_freak_66

last weekend i OC'd in ft wayne at cracker barrel, applebee's, logans roadhouse(looking for a place w/o an hour wait) no issues, some best buy with no issues, a walmart right next to it, Kroger and a few gas stations and at my hotel. absolutely no issues or looks i noticed.

now, today i went to a different walmart while not oc'ing looking for a poncho, saw some ammo ive been looking for(pdx1 segmented 12 ga slugs, not the buck and slug) and they refused to sell to me because i was an out of stater....ill be emailing them about it as i know theres no law prohibiting out of state ammo purchases, especially of shotgun ammo.