• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need help with CPL.

casper

I would represent myself, but I have hundreds of hours of Michigan firearm law reading and case law under my belt.

If you aren't familiar with the court process, laws, and relevant case law you might want to lawyer up. If you lawyer up, take him with you to any gun board hearing you have -- it may convince them not to screw with you if they see a lawyer in tow.
3 grand for an appeals lawyer, that's hurts.:(

Haman J.T.

3 grand for an appeals lawyer, that's hurts.:(

Since your denial was in 12',the reasonable time wording of the law(I went thru this 06' to 09') would have to be shown in ciruit court,if you appealed there.
I had to re-apply(another $105 app fee) in 09',retained a Pro-gun lawyer(NRA recommended) for $250,attended first board meeting(determined their paperwork was in error),was told to return to the board 30 days later,gave a speech and presented my OC history(media accounts) and Article 1 Sec. 6,MCL's etc.,and they gave me my permit.
They had used the vague wording in the law(which allows them to "feel" you may be a danger),because any misdemeanor record I had was 14 years or more!
You will most likely pay the $105 app fee,retain a Pro-gun lawyer to represent you($250+?) and make an educated speech(educate yourself on MI firearm law-MCL's) to the board! Been there done that! CARRY ON!

casper

I told the lawyer everything, yes everything, and he feels that I would win, but then he wouldn't say no, then expect me to hire him right ?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I told the lawyer everything, yes everything, and he feels that I would win, but then he wouldn't say no, then expect me to hire him right ?

You also need to consider that no lawyer wishes to lose a case; it's bad for business. If he said he thinks you'd win, then unless some other information comes to light, he thinks you have a strong case. I will talk with you on the 20th about this. I'll do some research in the meantime and perhaps have some that will give an indication regarding the best way you would want to proceed.

casper

You also need to consider that no lawyer wishes to lose a case; it's bad for business. If he said he thinks you'd win, then unless some other information comes to light, he thinks you have a strong case. I will talk with you on the 20th about this. I'll do some research in the meantime and perhaps have some that will give an indication regarding the best way you would want to proceed.
Thank you Pard.:)