• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Creepy people behavior in the presence of open carry

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Has anyone else who open carries regularly noticed stereotypical shady types acting nervous or avoiding them while in public places? I have. OC almost seems like a creep detector. Normal people either don't notice or don't care, but people who look like they are up to no good sometimes tend to act a little unsettled or conspicuously move away from me in the store.

Discussion?

glock22oc

I have noticed the shady people acting different. Just a couple days ago, I was at Taco Mayo and noticed a really shady guy in there. I was standing by the counter waiting for my food to come out. He was setting at the tables waiting for his. They kept calling his number, but he wouldn't get up and come get his food until I got my food and set down. Then he wolfed down his food and got out of there pretty quick.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
It may keep the creeps/criminals away (I think that it does) but occasionally it brings out the weirdos. Just last week as I was entering the mini-mart a middle-aged guy came up and asked if I had a real gun. I replied that I did and then he said can I touch it? I just gave him a stern no and went inside and then he stood outside and stared at me for ten minutes before waltzing off. Weird, just weird.

okiephlyer

Only creepy guy experience I had was in the Coweta Walmart. 20ish guy kept looking my direction but kept some distance. He followed me around to another aisle and started to approach, had a strange grin. I turned to where my weapon was away from him and I had most of me and the cart between the two of us, right hand on the cart, but directly next to my weapon. He stopped and started talking about OC and how great it was to see someone actually doing it. I relaxed a little and talked for a minute, but kept my hand where it was. Turns out he was just a normal creepy looking guy. Waiting for his CWL so he could carry as well.

TulsaDan

For sure I have witnessed this. You know the license holders who have an issue with OC and scream about our "Tactical Advantage" being lost I think they need to be told all about this. I am going to term this. I am going to start calling this "Awareness Advantage" what we loose in the Tactical realm we gain in the Awarness realm. Most robbers when scoping out a score do not want the headache of dealing with someone. Not one person can validly argue the scare tactic others use about us being the first target. They want the in-and-out quick finale. I have been in a QT in the Northern Region of Tulsa and seen this at work. I was getting some coffee one morning and a gentleman (Term used Very loosely) walked in and started to look around the store. His eyes landed on me for an instant. This gentleman then turned around and walked out of the store. Whatever I lose in Tactical Advantage I fully believe that I gain in Awareness Advantage. Thanks for the thoughtful insight post.

Robert318

I haven't really noticed or had what one may consider as a creepy person yet. But have noticed that the most common people that notice the OC on my side are the youngsters (look dad that man has a gun). But have noticed those that I presume are either scared of guns most likely due to lack of knowledge or filled with misinformation, or they are up to no good or have a guilty conscience and leave the area or store all together. Have had plenty of bug eyes and double lookers though, and only a few actually talk to me or ask about my gun or guns in general.

1911 Range Officer

For sure I have witnessed this. You know the license holders who have an issue with OC and scream about our "Tactical Advantage" being lost I think they need to be told all about this. I am going to term this. I am going to start calling this "Awareness Advantage" what we loose in the Tactical realm we gain in the Awarness realm. Most robbers when scoping out a score do not want the headache of dealing with someone. Not one person can validly argue the scare tactic others use about us being the first target. They want the in-and-out quick finale. I have been in a QT in the Northern Region of Tulsa and seen this at work. I was getting some coffee one morning and a gentleman (Term used Very loosely) walked in and started to look around the store. His eyes landed on me for an instant. This gentleman then turned around and walked out of the store. Whatever I lose in Tactical Advantage I fully believe that I gain in Awareness Advantage. Thanks for the thoughtful insight post.

Besides that, people who open carry, can normally draw there weapon MUCH faster.

I haven't noticed any weirdos yet. The only thing I have had happen so far is I started chatting to a nice peace officer in Wal-mart waiting in line. Who fully agreed it was a good thing, since they can't be there in seconds.

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

Its all about complacency. 100 years ago we carried a firearm everywhere at all times and if you did not have one you were considered a yellow belly. Somewhere down the line some clown decided that carrying firearms was not civilized and as a result took away our rights to carry.

During the 30s it was up in the air as to where we would go as the firearm manufacturers were attempting to capitalize on the Thompson sub machine guns and ran some pretty nifty ads. Well with time people began to fear firearms so now not only could we not carry but at the same time people started viewing them as evil.

Now that we have had nearly 100 years of complacency with them and bad parenting by some who chose to not allow their children to learn firearm safety (I think even if kids chose not to shoot they should at least be taught safety as their friends homes may have firearms and they may come in to contact with them.) People have this image in their head that if you are not a police officer you dont have any need for a firearm.

Sadly and alas my question is this. as firearms have disappeared from view over the last 100 years and many law abiding citizens have opted to obey the law then risk jail how many of those mass shootings could have been stopped over the years? How many criminals would their be if they had grown up with a natural fear of being shot by people able to defend their self?

Do I worry about offending someone by carrying a firearm legally? Id rather offend someone then be buried next week.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Has anyone else who open carries regularly noticed stereotypical shady types acting nervous or avoiding them while in public places? I have. OC almost seems like a creep detector. Normal people either don't notice or don't care, but people who look like they are up to no good sometimes tend to act a little unsettled or conspicuously move away from me in the store.

Discussion?

Yep.

okiephlyer

Good first post and welcome to the forum. I agree with most of what you are saying. Where we diverge is what seems to be a small point, but really needs to be addressed often. The CC crowd keeps yelling about "Tactical Advantage" of CC over OC. I propose that OC'ers have a Tactical Advantage over CC. In simple terms, "Strategy" is what you do to stay out of a situation where you need to employ "Tactics." Tactics is what you use once your brain says "It's go time." From that standpoint, OC is superior to CC, in that you don't have to initially fight your way to your own weapon through whatever you have placed in your way. You may only gain a small fraction of time, but therein is the tactical advantage. Given the same person, OC will be a quicker draw than CC every time. So OC has both the strategic advantage and the tactical advantage. Don't let the CC'ers that are anti OC try to claim the high ground about tactical advantage. It's a ghost f@&t and they need to be called out on it.

Bullbuster

Haven't run into any here in OK but when stationed in VA I most certainly did. The site of an OCer is a welcomed blessing in situations to some and deterrent to others. Anyone at last months OC lunch in Moore heard my story about how my OCing may have prevented a possible assault on 2 girls.

Keylock

In answer to the question... yes.

As for the CC vs. OC debate, just carry. Ignore nay sayers. In the historical context, carrying concealed was the method of bandits and men lacking honor. I'll open carry for all the honest world to see.

Gary S

Its all about complacency. 100 years ago we carried a firearm everywhere at all times and if you did not have one you were considered a yellow belly. Somewhere down the line some clown decided that carrying firearms was not civilized and as a result took away our rights to carry.

During the 30s it was up in the air as to where we would go as the firearm manufacturers were attempting to capitalize on the Thompson sub machine guns and ran some pretty nifty ads. Well with time people began to fear firearms so now not only could we not carry but at the same time people started viewing them as evil.

Now that we have had nearly 100 years of complacency with them and bad parenting by some who chose to not allow their children to learn firearm safety (I think even if kids chose not to shoot they should at least be taught safety as their friends homes may have firearms and they may come in to contact with them.) People have this image in their head that if you are not a police officer you dont have any need for a firearm.

Sadly and alas my question is this. as firearms have disappeared from view over the last 100 years and many law abiding citizens have opted to obey the law then risk jail how many of those mass shootings could have been stopped over the years? How many criminals would their be if they had grown up with a natural fear of being shot by people able to defend their self?

Do I worry about offending someone by carrying a firearm legally? Id rather offend someone then be buried next week.

I have to agree with you. You make some good points.