• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bob Irwin quoted by the NY Times...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/u...d=2&_r=1&smid=tw-nytimes&partner=rss&emc=rss&

He gets the last word in this NY Times article about trusts being used for ownership of firearms.

How accurate is he? He is certainly giving ammo to a problem that doesn't exist to my knowledge, while bragging about how he is better than anybody else in the business, as usual.

Will he use the "I was taken out of context" excuse? In which case, isn't he a media personality and wanna-be politician that would know better?

Oh yeah, in case anyone forgot, he's the #2 guy in NVFAC. But that's just "growing pains," right?

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Wait he says he knows dealers who didnt follow the law? Did I read that correctly? Did he turn them in?

No, apparently a dealer can sell to the trust without a background check. He brags about how he doesn't, but knows dealers who "only" obey the law. He is lending his support for mandating background checks to sell to a trust, it looks like to me.

I can't think of ANY crime this would have prevented, but it sure makes ol' politician Bob look good to the media. They bring out the high-profile Dorner who tried to buy things with a trust. Never mind that Dorner WOULD HAVE PASSED THE BACKGROUND CHECK.

This is the priority of NVFAC's #2 guy while those of us on this forum are actually DOING things that help educate the public.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
He says he can see how a felon can work his way through the gun law loopholes and end up with a machine gun? Sounds like a politician trying to work up the masses on a non-existing issue.

He implies that if that were to ever happen, it would be the trust's fault, the machine gun's fault, the dealer's fault, your fault; pretty much everyone's fault except the felon. Thanks, Bob.

Seeing as how machine guns are so lousy for actual street violence, maybe this process was all done on purpose. Now the damn felons will have to go to the black market (good thing there are no illegal machine guns there) and get guns they have to aim.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
The County Range thing (while I don't like it) is not what is keeping me from joining NVFAC.

But this braggart/politician/tourist-trap-gun-shop-owner/bad-CCW-info-distribution-point guy is.

davidmcbeth

Banned
He says he can see how a felon can work his way through the gun law loopholes and end up with a machine gun? Sounds like a politician trying to work up the masses on a non-existing issue.

Sounds like a guy who watches "Barter Kings" too much ...

Yeah, I started with a toothpick and now own an island off Florida .. uh huh ...

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Oops he did it again!

Here is an article I found:
Proposed Assault Weapons Ban of 2013

Mass shootings in Newtown, Aurora, and Tucson have demonstrated all too clearly the need to regulate military-style assault weapons and high capacity ammunition magazines. These weapons allow a gunman to fire a large number of rounds quickly and without having to reload.......

And here is where I found it so you can read the whole thing yourself:

http://firedupwithbob.com/?page_id=571

Adjacent to the NVFAC membership application!

wrightme

My renewal by cc glitched a few weeks ago. I am 'on hold' for now.

I get the impression the politician is attempting to show alignment with where HE thinks the crap will land.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I teach one to two dozen students per month. That's a lot of sales pitches that could be made for NVFAC, that aren't being made. My students aren't poor, either. All they need to hear from me is the reason to join.

CowboyKen

When Bob is gone, I will join.

Even if Bob were gone I won't join until they comply with IRS regs and provide me with the documents I requested on how they applied for tax exempt status and a complete form 990 (which they must file by May 15th).

So far all I have gotten is evasion. I don't understand, but I am now really curious as to, why they don't want to send what I asked for. Makes me wonder what they don't want me, and you, to see.

By the way I got a fast and complete response from Gun Owners of America. I joined them and sent a donation to boot.

IMO all of us should be members of GOA.

Ken

wrightme

Even if Bob were gone I won't join until they comply with IRS regs and provide me with the documents I requested on how they applied for tax exempt status and a complete form 990 (which they must file by May 15th).

So far all I have gotten is evasion. I don't understand, but I am now really curious as to, why they don't want to send what I asked for. Makes me wonder what they don't want me, and you, to see.

By the way I got a fast and complete response from Gun Owners of America. I joined them and sent a donation to boot.

IMO all of us should be members of GOA.

Ken
GOA is good for national. I have not seen them do a thing in the state sessions, ever that I can recall. Do you know of any Nevada legislative they have been involved in?

Ken, as I recall, what you had initially requested, they are not required to present. Did you change your request?

CowboyKen

...Ken, as I recall, what you had initially requested, they are not required to present. Did you change your request?

Writeme,

Mr.Turner's response to my original request of May, 2012 was to tell me that such requests must be in writing.

Then when I cited the regs that require e-mail be accepted he claimed:
our tax person reviewed the IRS regulations regarding your request. We were directed to advise you that according to IRS regulations, the forms you requested (having to do with establishment of 501 (c) n and associated documents) are not to be released until the IRS has made a determination of the 501(C) n applicability. We are still waiting their determination and they said it would take “several months.”

When questioned as to whether this meant that NVFAC was not tax exempt he replied:
We are qualified to act as a 501 per the IRS requirements as a not for profit organization, but they, by rule, review the applications to determine if the c3 or c4 is applicable. Until that time, the status of our application “pending.”
But still asserted he did not have to comply with my request.

Now, as Larry Rhodes reported, on 11/30/2012 the IRS informed the NVFAC that effective 8/19/2011 they were and are tax exempt under 501(c)(4).

So I again made my request for the 1024 application for that status. The response from Mr. Turner was:
We did not complete a form 1024 so none exists.

I have now requested, on 2/20/2013, "a copy of any application(s) for tax exempt status submitted to the IRS by the Nevada Firearms Coalition, and all supporting documents and all related correspondence with and from the IRS." I have not had a response as yet.

Can you tell me why the reluctance to share these documents that, according to IRS regulations, are required to be "available for public inspection"?

Ken

p.s.; GOA just sent what I asked for. No BS. No shilly shally, they just sent it.

wrightme

Writeme,

Mr.Turner's response to my original request of May, 2012 was to tell me that such requests must be in writing.

Then when I cited the regs that require e-mail be accepted he claimed:

When questioned as to whether this meant that NVFAC was not tax exempt he replied:
But still asserted he did not have to comply with my request.

Now, as Larry Rhodes reported, on 11/30/2012 the IRS informed the NVFAC that effective 8/19/2011 they were and are tax exempt under 501(c)(4).

So I again made my request for the 1024 application for that status. The response from Mr. Turner was:

I have now requested, on 2/20/2013, "a copy of any application(s) for tax exempt status submitted to the IRS by the Nevada Firearms Coalition, and all supporting documents and all related correspondence with and from the IRS." I have not had a response as yet.

Can you tell me why the reluctance to share these documents that, according to IRS regulations, are required to be "available for public inspection"?

Ken

p.s.; GOA just sent what I asked for. No BS. No shilly shally, they just sent it.

1) I do not speak for them

2) IIRC, your first requests were for documents not required to be inspected.

3) I don't care one whit if you get what you ask for or not. To me, your requests to them serve no purpose other than harassment.

CowboyKen

1) I do not speak for them

2) IIRC, your first requests were for documents not required to be inspected.

3) I don't care one whit if you get what you ask for or not. To me, your requests to them serve no purpose other than harassment.

Well, you asked so I answered. And, No all of my request were for things they are required to make "available for public inspection."

And, while these documents may "serve no purpose other than harassment," in your view, I hope to glean a good deal of information about this organization from them that will be helpful in deciding if I want to be associated with them and to contribute my money to their efforts.

Ken

wrightme

Well, you asked so I answered. And, No all of my request were for things they are required to make "available for public inspection."

And, while these documents may "serve no purpose other than harassment," in your view, I hope to glean a good deal of information about this organization from them that will be helpful in deciding if I want to be associated with them and to contribute my money to their efforts.

Ken

The information I have gleaned so far is this:

They want to get repeal of the blue card.

They want to have Nevada under ONE set of laws concerning firearms, not multiple sets.

They are 'for' the same things I am concerning those laws, assuming them to be the same things you are 'for.'

What else do YOU need?

What has the GOA done for Nevada?