Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the cops don't like having their addresses posted either

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Looks like the cops don't like having their addresses posted either

I'd feel sorry for them if they weren't so arrogant about it. This is an example that even with a new law, CHP information isn't secure.
    A Richmond police captain testified Monday that he panicked when he learned that sensitive police department information had fallen into the hands of activists and had been posted online.

The captain, Martin Harrison, testified in Richmond Circuit Court that the documents posted online listed the home addresses of more than 100 police employees.

I was concerned about the safety of those officers and their families,” said Harrison...........The department is seeking to keep the sensitive information out of the public domain. Several of the witnesses — which included the city’s chief deputy prosecutor — testified to the danger that the information could pose to police officers, their families or cooperating informants.

--snipped--

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/lo...4d75cb0b0.html
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-26-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: To reduce to Fair Use Quote

Will Harrison be disciplined for losing custody/control of the "sensitive data"? A rhetorical question?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

fair is fair, cops arent special... they need to deal with it.
    HOPE FOR THE BEST, EXPECT THE WORST, PREPARE FOR WAR

Every thumb drive I've purchased for the last 10 years or so has come with an encryption application. Seems like that might be a good idea for sensitive information.

Thanks,
    Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwaldo View Post
    Every thumb drive I've purchased for the last 10 years or so has come with an encryption application. Seems like that might be a good idea for sensitive information.

Thanks,
    Jim.
    I expect he wrote the passcode on the back and those sneaky activists peeked.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Goose or gander? Either should have the equal priviledge to be someone else's dinner.....or not.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by PFC HALE View Post
    fair is fair, cops arent special... they need to deal with it.
    Thuggery and hypocrisy go hand-in-hand.

So he "panicked", huh?

Well, I guess we should be all grateful and tickled pink that he and his buddies didn't go out and shoot 102 holes in a truck with two women delivering newspapers the next morning.

sidestreet

Jeremiah 29 vs. 11-13

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

RPD is unlawfully attacking and harassing anyone who even knew about this leaked data in attempts to cover it up. Nate Cox of Virginia Cop Block Posted a link on VA cop block to another blog that had a link to the files, and has been fighting in court since and being threatened by Richmond officers who stalk him. RPD employee info should be public knowledge anyways since they are funded by taxes and extortion of innocent civilians. All the data still exists, even though they have taken illegal steps to suppress it, and is being organized and sorted through to make a comprehensive database that is easily searchable. Transparency is key to ending the rampant police corruption.

http://www.copblock.org/25052/from-v...dia-attention/

Banned

This ain't justice, but it is poetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Banned
    they are free to move ... deal with it .. you can find most state judge's home address .. they are voted into office and have to file a nominating petition..

IIRC there was a case a few years back in Hanover county where a woman had decided that the combined drug task force was dirty and wanted to expose tyem. She posted all sorts of ID info (names, pictures, pictures of POVs, home addresses, some phone #s and other such). She got charged with several crimes. She lost.

Seems, if I am recaklling this correctly, cops are special.

Can someone with Google-Fu that is not down with a raging cough and low-grade fever check on this and get back to us? Thanks.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    IIRC there was a case a few years back in Hanover county where a woman had decided that the combined drug task force was dirty and wanted to expose tyem. She posted all sorts of ID info (names, pictures, pictures of POVs, home addresses, some phone #s and other such). She got charged with several crimes. She lost.

Seems, if I am recaklling this correctly, cops are special.

Can someone with Google-Fu that is not down with a raging cough and low-grade fever check on this and get back to us? Thanks.

stay safe.
    I thought they dropped the case....Maybe not.

i know that some of you feel this is "turn about is fair play", but it is more like "two wrongs don't make a right". if you would not like your address, or those of your follow carriers being posted then you should be concerned for the innocent LEO being outed. if not for them but for their spouses and children.

it just out right to post anybodies address without their permission
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    i know that some of you feel this is "turn about is fair play", but it is more like "two wrongs don't make a right". if you would not like your address, or those of your follow carriers being posted then you should be concerned for the innocent LEO being outed. if not for them but for their spouses and children.

it just out right to post anybodies address without their permission
    I don't recall seeing any of them at the hearings and they did lobby to allow them access to the lists. That way they can lose the CHP's information along with theirs.

You forget that they keep their own little contact databases that can be distributed however they feel.

If the GA is going to dilute open government, they need to keep everyone including LE out....at least without a court order.
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-26-2013 at 11:00 PM.

Banned
    you generally can ask for their employment applications/CVs ... usually they would either have to: a) provide it or b) write the person and ask if they wished information withheld (and they rarely do)

through a foia request ...

I would, if I were on the list, consider pursuing official sanctions, possibly criminal and/or civil remedy against the nitiwt who had my data and then lost my data. If the danger is high to me and mine as that LEA has stated then Mr. Harrison is to be held culpable along with his masters.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    you generally can ask for their employment applications/CVs ... usually they would either have to: a) provide it or b) write the person and ask if they wished information withheld (and they rarely do)

through a foia request ...
    Cite?

I admit that I do not know, but this sounds HUGELY bogus. Being able to use FOIA (technically incorrect term) for the personal information of someone else???? I really don't think so.

I call Bravo Sierra. Prove your contention.

<o>

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Cite?

I admit that I do not know, but this sounds HUGELY bogus. Being able to use FOIA (technically incorrect term) for the personal information of someone else???? I really don't think so.

I call Bravo Sierra. Prove your contention.

<o>
    You can't!
    You can get the name, department and salery of any public employee making over $6,000.00 a year.
    Personal info is exempt and job applications would be redacted to remove personal information.

Cites are in the FOIA Council's opinions!
    Last edited by peter nap; 02-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.

The question: Is your street address "personal" information. Is associating your name, available to the public it seems if you are a public servant, to your street address prohibited under the law?

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    The question: Is your street address "personal" information. Is associating your name, available to the public it seems if you are a public servant, to your street address prohibited under the law?
    Yes it is. You can only get information that pertains to your responsibilities as a public employee.
    There are other ways to get it through open records but not FOIA.

Thanks.

I wonder if any cop works from home from time to time, writing reports and all. I guess "public" does not apply to houses (street address).

If i know your full name and age, i can find your address. Addresses are not secret. If cops have the power to get all your info we have to have the same power. Its critical to the future of this country that we stop treating cops like untouchable gods who are immune to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by CopBlockRVA View Post
    If i know your full name and age, i can find your address. Addresses are not secret. If cops have the power to get all your info we have to have the same power. Its critical to the future of this country that we stop treating cops like untouchable gods who are immune to everything.
    +∞

Quote Originally Posted by marshaul View Post
    +∞
    Quit using them gang symbols marshaul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast